Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

401a interior - is this "normal"

Search this Thread

Old 7/29/13, 02:42 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Rando
The leather in our car is crap.
No argument there.

Originally Posted by thebms
Update: I took the car in again today, they took the seat apart, said there was nothing wrong with the foam, and denied the claim again... Since I wasn't going to give up, i went through the original request with the service manager. The pictures that Ford saw were from ~5 feet away, so Ford didn't think was a problem. All it took was a resubmission with close up shots. Now, a new seat is on order and will be installed soon!
Glad to see Ford step up and own up.

Originally Posted by TxAg98
Shoot, Ive only got about 4700 miles on my '14 and my seat looks exactly like that. Just the right side of the stripe, not the left.
Sounds like a warranty/dealership visit is in order.
Old 7/29/13, 04:13 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, its ironic that I had a problem with the 401a "upgrade" sine I thought I would be getting better leather (or should I say "pleather"?) and less likely to have issues like these.
Old 7/29/13, 05:14 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I had the same issues with my 2010 GT with the 401A package. Sad to see they haven't resolved the issue yet
Old 7/29/13, 08:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Guess you have lots of time to prove a point if they went through the trouble of tearing a seat apart...

Don't know what you're expecting from simple 'leather surfaced' seats and repair departments used to much worse. This isn't Audi and still, Audi probably still wouldn't cover that on grounds that leather is a 'organic' material
Old 7/29/13, 08:54 PM
Bullitt Member

FYI 15k miles on my 2011 and my '99 expedition's leather looked better when I traded it in...
Old 7/30/13, 12:18 PM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Update: I took the car in again today, they took the seat apart, said there was nothing wrong with the foam, and denied the claim again... Since I wasn't going to give up, i went through the original request with the service manager. The pictures that Ford saw were from ~5 feet away, so Ford didn't think was a problem. All it took was a resubmission with close up shots. Now, a new seat is on order and will be installed soon!
This is great news, thebms! Thanks for the update.

Originally Posted by TxAg98
Shoot, Ive only got about 4700 miles on my '14 and my seat looks exactly like that. Just the right side of the stripe, not the left.
Let me get this escalated to the customer service manager for your area as well, TxAg98. Please make an appointment and PM me with your VIN, dealer, full name, mileage, and best daytime number so I can help.

Deysha
Old 7/30/13, 01:38 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by JPMotorSport
Guess you have lots of time to prove a point if they went through the trouble of tearing a seat apart...

Don't know what you're expecting from simple 'leather surfaced' seats and repair departments used to much worse. This isn't Audi and still, Audi probably still wouldn't cover that on grounds that leather is a 'organic' material
These premium GT's with leather are $35-40K...that's right up there in Audi territory. And it's not the leather that was the problem. Its apparent the foam prematurely lost elasticity.

Good to know they covered it for you. I've worked for Cummins' warranty and know the name of the game in denying warranty claims.
Old 9/7/13, 10:04 AM
GT Member

Update:

The good news is that I finally got my car back. They had also done some work on the a/c system, which was great (they used their best mechanic - same guy who does all the Shelbys and FordGTs).

The bad news is that the seat looks worse than before. I am so disappointed

401a interior - is this "normal"-image-2392165872.jpg
Old 9/7/13, 10:22 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
what did they do, replace the seat?
Old 9/7/13, 10:26 AM
GT Member

They only replaced the seat cover.
Old 9/7/13, 12:00 PM
I Have No Life

^ sorry man, but that looks terrible. I would not have accepted that work from the dealer. I would have gone ballistic to the shop that thought I would drive that home.

Get that reworked.
Old 9/7/13, 12:18 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Update:

The good news is that I finally got my car back. They had also done some work on the a/c system, which was great (they used their best mechanic - same guy who does all the Shelbys and FordGTs).

The bad news is that the seat looks worse than before. I am so disappointed
Uhm, that pic honestly looks like you took a pic of the seat skin, not on a seat. That is terrible.
Old 9/7/13, 07:22 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5
^ sorry man, but that looks terrible. I would not have accepted that work from the dealer. I would have gone ballistic to the shop that thought I would drive that home.

Get that reworked.
I'm going to get this fixed. I love my car, but this seat pisses me off every time I look at it. I just want what I paid for.

I actually don't think this is the dealer's fault... The are just trying to help within the limits of what Ford Warranty dept. tells them. Hopefully, I can get some answers Monday when people are back in the office.
Old 9/7/13, 07:24 PM
GT Member

401a interior - is this "normal"-image-1405649061.jpg
Old 9/7/13, 07:32 PM
I Have No Life

I'm going to get this fixed. I love my car, but this seat pisses me off every time I look at it. I just want what I paid for.

I actually don't think this is the dealer's fault... The are just trying to help within the limits of what Ford Warranty dept. tells them. Hopefully, I can get some answers Monday when people are back in the office.
That's fair. Yeah, I guess dealers are limited. But make them exhaust all that they to get that to your satisfaction. Heck even swap seats with something on their lot with the same seat that's in better shape etc.... Plenty of options.

Bottom line is you're not happy... Right? Ford should step up.
Old 9/8/13, 11:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ford circled the problem lol.
Old 9/9/13, 07:07 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Thamac15
Ford circled the problem lol.
Huh?
Old 9/9/13, 08:28 AM
I Have No Life

is this redone already the 2nd time?
Old 9/9/13, 08:57 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5

is this redone already the 2nd time?
This was the first attempt at a fix and it made things much worse. I have never seen a mustang leather seat the looks like this - the leather is supposed to be smooth. This "fix" doesn't match the other leather/vinyl in the car and makes the cabin look dumpy. The underlying foam around the edges of the seat bottom also seem have broken down, making the seat less supportive.

I have a call and email in to Ford. I'm interested to hear their response.
Old 9/9/13, 09:26 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

This was the first attempt at a fix and it made things much worse. I have never seen a mustang leather seat the looks like this - the leather is supposed to be smooth. This "fix" doesn't match the other leather/vinyl in the car and makes the cabin look dumpy. The underlying foam around the edges of the seat bottom also seem have broken down, making the seat less supportive.

I have a call and email in to Ford. I'm interested to hear their response.
As I stated in my earlier posts. You won't see improvement until you replace the foam. After that, leave it in the sun and the leather will conform to its new shape.

Last edited by Getportfolio; 9/9/13 at 02:51 PM.

Quick Reply: 401a interior - is this "normal"