Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

3rd control arm failure after 3 dealer replacements.

Search this Thread

Old 9/11/11, 03:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3rd control arm failure after 3 dealer replacements.

hi, I have a 2012 mustang gt premium stick with just 3100 miles on it. I am getting a loud squeak when I go over bumps slowly. It sounds like the noise an old bed mattress makes when the springs go up or down. The dealer already replaced my front control arms twice, I am on my third control arm and it has failed again. After a control arm replacement the noise would go away for about 1000 miles, then after 1000 miles the squeak will come back. The back is fine, it's just the front. I was thinking about just paying out of pocket for some after market Ford Racing front control arms and bushings, but I'm afraid if the squeak comes back AGAIN. I'm off tomorrow so I can call my dealer and ask them what I should do. They'll probably just do the same control arm replacement and I'll be on my 4th control arm. Any suggestions? thanks for any help, this is very frustrating. I don't want to keep running to the dealer and every time I go the same failed procedure occurs.
Old 9/11/11, 04:00 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like they are replacing the wrong part or... Your a rough driver lol
Old 9/11/11, 04:11 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
Spray it with wd-40, save yourself some time and energy?
Old 9/11/11, 04:21 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by texastboneking
Sounds like they are replacing the wrong part or... Your a rough driver lol
^^^ This ^^^
Old 9/11/11, 04:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by MyStang2010GB
^^^ This ^^^
the tech. said when he puts the car on the alignment rack and lifts the control arms he'd hear the squeak. Like I said after replacing them the squeak would go away for awhile (about 1000 miles), so I mean I guess it is the control arms that is going bad I just don't understand why it keeps happening. I had my civic for more than a decade and I'd never hear this. I don't think I'm a rough driver I mean I avoid pot holes as much as possible, I mostly drive on the highway, yeah there will be a bumpy road here and there

Last edited by Will3212; 9/11/11 at 04:46 PM.
Old 9/11/11, 04:48 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

No one else is having this problem. Gonna guess the bushings are drying out for some reason... Wd40 might do the trick.
Old 9/11/11, 04:56 PM
Bullitt Member

No one else is having this problem. Gonna guess the bushings are drying out for some reason... Wd40 might do the trick.
LOTS of people are having this problem: there are tons of threads about it; most are just lucky after the first replacement though (myself included, though I'm starting to hear an occasional sign of a recurrence). The explanation I got from Ford after guys from Dearborn came out to my dealer to look at my car a few months back, was that there was a run of bad parts from a bushing supplier, so it may be possible that each of his replacements may be from the same batch. Not super likely, but possible.

Doesn't the lemon law kick in after three occurrences of the same issue? I don't know the details of how that works, but maybe look into it and let them know that if it comes back again for the same thing, they can take their time, since it will once again be their car.

Last edited by J1000; 9/11/11 at 05:10 PM.
Old 9/11/11, 05:02 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Originally Posted by J1000

LOTS of people are having this problem: there are tons of threads about it; most are just lucky after the first replacement though (myself included, though I'm starting to hear an occasional sign of a recurrence). The explanation I got from Ford after guys from Dearborn came out to my dealer to look at my car a few months back, was that there was a run of bad parts from a bushing supplier, so it may be possible that each of his replacements may be from the same batch. Not super likely, but possible.

Doesn't the lemon law kick in after three occurrences of the same issue? I don't know the details of how that works, but maybe look into it and let them know that if it comes back again for the same thing, they can take their time, since it be once again be their car.
Oh. Well I guess our area got lucky cause we haven't had a single mustang enter the shop complaining of this issue. Weird...
Old 9/11/11, 05:05 PM
Bullitt Member

Oh. Well I guess our area got lucky cause we haven't had a single mustang enter the shop complaining of this issue. Weird...
That's good; there's a TSB for it now. They were investigating it back when I was having the issue, and the TSB came out shortly after. Once it starts, it gets ridiculously loud, and over quick bumps, sounds like the control arms are really loose and banging around.
Old 9/11/11, 05:10 PM
Bullitt Member

That's good; there's a TSB for it now. They were investigating it back when I was having the issue, and the TSB came out shortly after. Once it starts, it gets ridiculously loud, and over quick bumps, sounds like the control arms are really loose and banging around.
that's what I'm getting. It is a loud squeak over any bump and it is super annoying. Basically that sound you get from like a very old spring cushion. Ok so my third control arm is failing, I live in New York City, can I lemon the car? how does it work? I have to request it to my dealer "hey I want my car lemoned". Do I get a full money refund or what? I only had the car for 3 months.
Old 9/11/11, 05:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Will3212

that's what I'm getting. It is a loud squeak over any bump and it is super annoying. Basically that sound you get from like a very old spring cushion. Ok so my third control arm is failing, I live in New York City, can I lemon the car? how does it work? I have to request it to my dealer "hey I want my car lemoned". Do I get a full money refund or what? I only had the car for 3 months.
Like I said, I'm not sure how it works, but Google should give you a baseline. One thing I noticed is that it starts after the car is fully warmed up, after about 20 minutes of driving. It doesn't do it when cold, so the dealer didn't hear it the first time I took it in. The second time, I made an appointment and took it in warm and had them drive it right away. They heard it clearly that time. It honestly almost sounded like a loose motor mount, it was so loud at that point.

Last edited by J1000; 9/11/11 at 05:29 PM.
Old 9/11/11, 05:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What is the TSB number, out of curiosity? I am also having this issue.
Old 9/11/11, 05:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Like I said, I'm not sure how it works, but Google should give you a baseline. One thing I noticed is that it starts after the car is fully warmed up, after about 20 minutes of driving. It doesn't do it when cold, so the dealer didn't hear it the first time I took it in. The second time, I made an appointment and took it in warm and had them drive it right away. They heard it clearly that time. It honestly almost sounded like a loose motor mount, it was so loud at that point.
I just read something from google that Requires 4 attempts by the dealer to fix it. Would u recommend paying out of pocket for after market control arms?
Old 9/11/11, 05:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by hawkeye18
TSB number is in this thread:

https://themustangsource.com/f804/se...-11-gt-497368/
Old 9/11/11, 05:39 PM
Bullitt Member

I just read something from google that Requires 4 attempts by the dealer to fix it. Would u recommend paying out of pocket for after market control arms?
I wouldn't say it requires 4 times, but that has happened in several cases. As for the aftermarket LCAs, if you were already planning on doing them, that's your call, but I'd also factor in whether you'll remove them if you ever sell the car, and return it to stock to sell the aftermarket parts separately. If so, I'd want the stockers to be right before the warranty expires.
Old 9/11/11, 07:12 PM
Bullitt Member

I wouldn't say it requires 4 times, but that has happened in several cases. As for the aftermarket LCAs, if you were already planning on doing them, that's your call, but I'd also factor in whether you'll remove them if you ever sell the car, and return it to stock to sell the aftermarket parts separately. If so, I'd want the stockers to be right before the warranty expires.
guess I'll just let them replace the **** control arms for a 4th time. Jeez, i wish I can just lemon the car and go with something else if it still doesn't get fixed. I don't understand how after 3 times it will go bad AGAIN. I have to leave the car at the dealer, takes days off of work, waste gas, and hope they actually reproduce the problem. by the way who do i talk to about lemoning the car, the dealer right?

Last edited by Will3212; 9/11/11 at 07:26 PM.
Old 9/11/11, 08:23 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
guess I'll just let them replace the **** control arms for a 4th time. Jeez, i wish I can just lemon the car and go with something else if it still doesn't get fixed. I don't understand how after 3 times it will go bad AGAIN. I have to leave the car at the dealer, takes days off of work, waste gas, and hope they actually reproduce the problem. by the way who do i talk to about lemoning the car, the dealer right?

Here is the link I found when I googled "Lemon Law New York".

http://www.lemonlaws.net/newyork/?gc...FUTBKgodESApxw
Old 9/12/11, 07:07 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
hi, I have a 2012 mustang gt premium stick with just 3100 miles on it. I am getting a loud squeak when I go over bumps slowly. The dealer already replaced my front control arms twice, I am on my third control arm and it has failed again.
Hey Will3212,

Please, let me know if you’d like me to reopen your case with your Customer Service Manager for more help. Send me a PM as soon as possible.

Originally Posted by hawkeye18
Hi hawkeye18,

I’d like to get this escalated for you to the CSM in your area as well. Please, private message me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, and contact info so I can help.

Deysha
Old 9/12/11, 08:55 AM
V6 Member

I suggest you change your language. The part is not *failing*. Sure, it's making noise, but there is absolutely no evidence that the part has failed in any way. Phrasing such events as "failing" is purely exaggeration.
Old 9/12/11, 11:44 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by t-ray
I suggest you change your language. The part is not *failing*. Sure, it's making noise, but there is absolutely no evidence that the part has failed in any way. Phrasing such events as "failing" is purely exaggeration.
well that's what the dealer told me that "the control arms failed and need replacement", then they just order new ones and replace them. It would be good for awhile but after a month.....same thing.

Quick Reply: 3rd control arm failure after 3 dealer replacements.