Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

2014 Mustang GT/CS Engine Chattering At Idle

Search this Thread

Old 7/16/14, 01:53 PM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2014 Mustang GT/CS Engine Chattering At Idle

Hi, I have my 2014 Mustang GT/CS at my dealer right now to have them investigate a chattering noise my engine makes at idle. It has made this sound ever since it was new with 7 miles on it. The engine makes this sound at idle both cold/warm. The dealer just called me and said it sounds normal, but it doesn't sound normal to me.

The noise is coming from the passenger side of the motor. The driver's side is quiet. When I put my mechanic's stethoscope on the passenger side exhaust manifold I can hear the noise emanating through. When I put the stethoscope on the driver's side exhaust manifold it is quiet.

Here is a video of the sound, it is rather apparent. The car had about 478 miles on it at the time of the video. If someone at Ford Service could help me out I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Rjq...ature=youtu.be
Old 7/16/14, 03:13 PM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
NacsMXer,

I haven't heard this from my car. I will go start it now and listen and post back shortly.

Mine's 2014 Mustang GT 5.0 with 6r80.

Mine does have an engine tapping/ticking noise but only when the ac compressor is turning. That's an easy issue, thankfully.

Last edited by jc46002003; 7/16/14 at 03:14 PM.
Old 7/16/14, 03:24 PM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm back,

I started my engine for a few minutes and listened. I don't hear any plinking/clinking noises coming from my engine. I definitely hear the plinking/clinking noise in your video when you move the camera closer to the engine. Your issue sounds like valve train noise which is good because if it is, they won't have to pull the engine out. Get the Ford dealer to compare with a car on their lot. They should have done this already. Get a 2nd opinion from another dealer if the current dealer is not willing to compare with another car. Also ask the dealer(s) if they have a mechanice that owns a 5.0 and ask if you can talk to them. Ford mechanics that own mustangs are a lot more willing to assist you. I know this from experience. I know all about dealers trying to punt customers as they've done it too me many times.

Hopefully once your issue is resolved, your car won't have any scratches on it. I've taken 3-4 mustangs in for service an almost every single time I've had a new scratch or dent in my car. Dealers seem to have low amounts of respect for our rides.

Last edited by jc46002003; 7/16/14 at 03:30 PM.
Old 7/17/14, 09:26 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by NacsMXer
Hi, I have my 2014 Mustang GT/CS at my dealer right now to have them investigate a chattering noise my engine makes at idle. It has made this sound ever since it was new with 7 miles on it. The engine makes this sound at idle both cold/warm. The dealer just called me and said it sounds normal, but it doesn't sound normal to me.

The noise is coming from the passenger side of the motor. The driver's side is quiet. When I put my mechanic's stethoscope on the passenger side exhaust manifold I can hear the noise emanating through. When I put the stethoscope on the driver's side exhaust manifold it is quiet.

Here is a video of the sound, it is rather apparent. The car had about 478 miles on it at the time of the video. If someone at Ford Service could help me out I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.
Hello NacsMXer,

Welcome to the forum! My name is Deysha with Ford Service and I recommend you get a second opinion at different Ford Dealer if you’re not comfortable with your dealer’s findings. Let me know what they say so I can escalate this for you if needed.

Deysha
Old 7/20/14, 12:39 PM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by FordService
Hello NacsMXer,

Welcome to the forum! My name is Deysha with Ford Service and I recommend you get a second opinion at different Ford Dealer if you’re not comfortable with your dealer’s findings. Let me know what they say so I can escalate this for you if needed.

Deysha
Thanks very much, Deysha. The dealer let me listen to a new 2014 GT/CS on their lot and lo and behold, it makes the same noise as mine at idle. They said they have heard this on some GT's before. Even the service manager said the noise would drive him nuts if it was his car, but the don't know of any fix for it. I just don't know if I want to live with this sound as being normal. Maybe some engines have an underlying issue that Ford is not aware of yet?

Originally Posted by jc46002003
I'm back,

I started my engine for a few minutes and listened. I don't hear any plinking/clinking noises coming from my engine. I definitely hear the plinking/clinking noise in your video when you move the camera closer to the engine. Your issue sounds like valve train noise which is good because if it is, they won't have to pull the engine out. Get the Ford dealer to compare with a car on their lot. They should have done this already. Get a 2nd opinion from another dealer if the current dealer is not willing to compare with another car. Also ask the dealer(s) if they have a mechanice that owns a 5.0 and ask if you can talk to them. Ford mechanics that own mustangs are a lot more willing to assist you. I know this from experience. I know all about dealers trying to punt customers as they've done it too me many times.

Hopefully once your issue is resolved, your car won't have any scratches on it. I've taken 3-4 mustangs in for service an almost every single time I've had a new scratch or dent in my car. Dealers seem to have low amounts of respect for our rides.
Thanks for going out and listening to your car for me. I am still not so sure if this sound is to be considered normal though.
Old 7/21/14, 06:53 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by NacsMXer
Thanks very much, Deysha. The dealer let me listen to a new 2014 GT/CS on their lot and lo and behold, it makes the same noise as mine at idle. They said they have heard this on some GT's before. Even the service manager said the noise would drive him nuts if it was his car, but the don't know of any fix for it. I just don't know if I want to live with this sound as being normal. Maybe some engines have an underlying issue that Ford is not aware of yet?
Glad they looked into this for you, NacsMXer. If the noise gets worse, don’t hesitate to PM me and make another appointment with your dealer.

Deysha