Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

2014 5.0 tick - engine being ripped apart

Search this Thread

Old 10/8/14, 09:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jc46002003
No sir. They tore into the motor at the dealership. They won't share much info with me. They're probably on their way back together with it if they're to be done by Friday or Monday.
I don't know how easy it is for you but I went down every other day and took pics wile new motor was going in. Gave me a chance to ease up my nerves.
Old 10/8/14, 09:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
It seems like I have been seeing a lot more people coming forward with engine problems on the 5.0 and that includes people on the F150 forums. I wonder what the root cause of these problems are. It makes me nervous and I'm always listening to my engine to see if I hear anything abnormal. I'm knocking on wood to the hope that my car doesn't end up with these type of issues.

Wayne
Old 10/8/14, 09:57 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by 70monte
It seems like I have been seeing a lot more people coming forward with engine problems on the 5.0 and that includes people on the F150 forums. I wonder what the root cause of these problems are. It makes me nervous and I'm always listening to my engine to see if I hear anything abnormal. I'm knocking on wood to the hope that my car doesn't end up with these type of issues. Wayne
I have noticed as well, but I seem to hear less from people who drive their cars hard. Not abuse, but drive them like a Mustang. I daily drive my car, and at least once, I redline 2nd or 3rd before settling in to a cruise...after it's warmed up of course.
Old 10/8/14, 10:33 PM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 70monte
It seems like I have been seeing a lot more people coming forward with engine problems on the 5.0 and that includes people on the F150 forums. I wonder what the root cause of these problems are. It makes me nervous and I'm always listening to my engine to see if I hear anything abnormal. I'm knocking on wood to the hope that my car doesn't end up with these type of issues.

Wayne

Yes, I know what you mean. I've had 3 2014 Mustang GTs.

2014 #1: Had the tick. Noise was narrowed to a spot between the trans and engine. They took the trans off, inspected flywheel and TQ, found no damage. Put it all back together. Noise gone. Few months later, someone pulled out in front of me, car got destroyed. I'm completely mind blown because that ticking noise was the exact same ticking noise as this current car. It happened under the same conditions as this current car as well ( when the cylinder head reached 194 degrees ). How can the exact same tick, under the same set of conditions, be a different cause in this new car??? Yes, I told the dealer about my previous experience. They did listen.

2014 #2: No tick but it had a nasty idling issue. Especially when cold. The car shook! It had many other issues. Lots of wind noise, rear gear noise, limited disks were slipping. It had the dreaded lower control arm bushing issue and drove all over the road. I took my list of issues to one dealer and he told me he wouldn't work on a car with that many problems and sent me back to my original dealer. Get this, I had 2 dealers say this to my face "we don't make any money off warranty work" and they promptly punted me.

2014 #3 ( current ): After making no traction on my issues with car number 2, I traded it in, at a substantial loss.

Solved issue with car number#3: decel vibration. It was most noticeable when letting off the gas above 40MPH. You could throw it out of gear and the vibration would stop. ( Yes, the ring gear was also singing like crazy ). It also had no traction because the disks were slipping too much. They replaced all the bearings, gears and slip disks. Problem solved.

Unsolved issues:

1. Doors and front fenders are way off. They stick out past each other in different places and there's lots of wind noise. Each door closes different. Once shuts really easily, the other takes more force to close. Took it to the dealer and they 'worked on it'. They didn't do a **** thing. Nothing was changed except there was a new ding in the paint by the door latch ( inside the car, above the VIN sticker ). They tried to cover it up with some black stuff. I didn't notice it till a week after I got my car and the sun shined on it a certain way.

2. The tranny has a nasty thud sound when coming to a stop ( downshifting into 2nd gear ). Some of this feeling is normal but in my case, you can feel kind of a slack when it happens. I think the vibration from the rear end was so bad, that it damaged a solenoid. I read that vibrations can do that to these 6r80s. The vibration from the rear end issue was so bad, I could feel my steering wheel shake. Also has a nasty clucking sound when you put power back on at low speeds. Say for example, you're cursing in a parking lot in 2nd gear with your foot on the gas, holding speed, let off the gas for a second then put it back on, it makes a nasty 'pling' sound, when the TQ locks back up. 2nd gear also shifts funny. I think it's just a bad solenoid, it doesn't slip or bounce. The previous 2 cars didn't have this issue.

3. You already know about the engine tick.

Good thing about car number 3. It's front suspension is pure perfection. Very responsive, no vibrations or noises, perfect alignment. It really suks that my perfect front suspension it being ripped apart because of the engine tick. I fear it won't be the same.

Last edited by jc46002003; 10/8/14 at 11:21 PM.
Old 10/8/14, 11:11 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by pminri
I don't know how easy it is for you but I went down every other day and took pics wile new motor was going in. Gave me a chance to ease up my nerves.

Ya I can't drive too much right now, having an inner ear problem. I can drive around town with no issues though. The dealership is in a different city though. Just bridges/overpasses and large vibrations/bumps mess with my eyes. Especially scary since the car crash I had in December of last year. A guy pulled out in front of me from his stop sign. I was on the highway doing 70MPH, WAM. Perfectly good mustang totaled. I would still have that car today. It was in perfect shape after the engine tick was fixed. I was happy with it. You could get on the toll road and go 85MPH with high winds and the car never made a peep from the doors or anywhere else ( no wind noise whatsoever ). It was so quiet and enjoyable to drive. The engine idled so smoothly, loved listening to it purr. It had Borla S types, same as the current car.

Last edited by jc46002003; 10/8/14 at 11:25 PM.
Old 10/9/14, 06:31 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Hi Deysha,

I've heard that they should be done by Friday, latest Monday. We'll see. My case is already escalated as high as it can go right now.
Oh ok, jc46002003. Will you please send me your case number?

Deysha
Old 10/9/14, 06:45 AM
Bullitt Member

Ya I can't drive too much right now, having an inner ear problem. I can drive around town with no issues though. The dealership is in a different city though. Just bridges/overpasses and large vibrations/bumps mess with my eyes. Especially scary since the car crash I had in December of last year. A guy pulled out in front of me from his stop sign. I was on the highway doing 70MPH, WAM. Perfectly good mustang totaled. I would still have that car today. It was in perfect shape after the engine tick was fixed. I was happy with it. You could get on the toll road and go 85MPH with high winds and the car never made a peep from the doors or anywhere else ( no wind noise whatsoever ). It was so quiet and enjoyable to drive. The engine idled so smoothly, loved listening to it purr. It had Borla S types, same as the current car.
Man that really suck that you car got totaled. I hope you heal up quick to enjoy your car again (also hope your newer car gets repaired better than ever)..

I really hope this new engine doesn't have this **** tic problem. Drove me nuts!!
Old 10/9/14, 02:29 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by pminri
Man that really suck that you car got totaled. I hope you heal up quick to enjoy your car again (also hope your newer car gets repaired better than ever)..

I really hope this new engine doesn't have this **** tic problem. Drove me nuts!!

Thank you for all your kind words sir. Helps a lot right now.

I hope your stang is better than before as well.

I'll be in touch with updates too.
Old 10/10/14, 10:46 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I guess I have been pretty lucky with my car as far as problems go. The radio screen was replaced as well as my driver's side door panel. I don't have a ticking noise in the engine but I have a slight squeaking noise when the engine is idling which kind of sounds like a noisy belt that has been present since the day I bought it.
I have had the paint fixed underneath the trunk lid and do have some questionable areas underneath the hood. I don't have any front end noised that I can tell. I do have a slight whine on deceleration but I don't think it's worth messing with at this time.

Right now the biggest issue I have is the tremendous amount of tire noise that I'm getting. I took the car in today to get the tires rotated for the second time and the tech told me the tires were starting to "chop" up on the rears and were probably out of round. I'm sure the fronts were the same. After the rotation, I'm still getting just about the same amount of noise. I guess with only 10,000 miles on the car and tires, it's time for new tires.

I talked to the dealer about warranty on the tires and he said it's almost impossible to get tires warrantied due to the fact that they have their own separate warranty and the owner usually has to buy new tires and have the old ones sent in for inspection and then if they determine that the tires are faulty, the tire manufacturer will either replace them or pro-rate them depending on how long you have had the car and the mileage. Sounds like an exercise in failure to me. The SA said he hasn't seen many tires get warrantied.

Hopefully my car stays relatively trouble free but who knows.

Wayne
Old 10/10/14, 01:15 PM
GT Member

One of the first things I do to a stock mustang gt is replace the stock tires with Z rated tires.

I highly recommend the General G-max. They last a long time and feel great. They get louder with more miles but for me personally, I'm fine with the noise. As long as they perform.

You will see a dramatic improvement in your car if you get them. Well worth the money.

Little advice. Babysit the tire installer if you don't know them. Sometimes they will put your rims back on 1/2 oz out of balance, or they won't clean the old tape off, stuff like that. Make them work for it. Tell them you want to see the balancer zero out on each tire. It's the only way I'm comfortable with a tire swap.
Old 10/10/14, 01:35 PM
Bullitt Member

One of the first things I do to a stock mustang gt is replace the stock tires with Z rated tires. I highly recommend the General G-max. They last a long time and feel great. They get louder with more miles but for me personally, I'm fine with the noise. As long as they perform. You will see a dramatic improvement in your car if you get them. Well worth the money. Little advice. Babysit the tire installer if you don't know them. Sometimes they will put your rims back on 1/2 oz out of balance, or they won't clean the old tape off, stuff like that. Make them work for it. Tell them you want to see the balancer zero out on each tire. It's the only way I'm comfortable with a tire swap.
Appreciate the info on tires, but please don't
hi-jack the thread.
Old 10/12/14, 11:41 AM

Thanks Buggy,

How does your car overall 'feel' after the new engine? I'm scared to death my car will never be the same. I'm borderline tears right now and getting depressed.
It feels great and I couldn't be happier. Hope things work out for you!
Old 10/12/14, 01:40 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Buggywhips
It feels great and I couldn't be happier. Hope things work out for you!

Great Buggy. Glad to hear yours is doing well. My dealership needs a little more time so, I probably won't have my car back this week.
Old 10/15/14, 05:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Thank you for all your kind words sir. Helps a lot right now. I hope your stang is better than before as well. I'll be in touch with updates too.
Well, I got my car back last night and drove it for a while and then again today. So far the the engine is performing perfectly, no knocking anymore, no tics, just perfect. An added bonus was ordering the track key, I highly recommend picking on up if you can. I did suspension mods as well and with the new engine the car is awesome.

I took pictures of the car with the engine out and I was a bit nervous the car might not be the same as when the factory built it but all doubt is gone. Tasca Ford did an awesome job all around. As an added bonus, somehow when they put it back together I no longer have the 1-2 shift grinding either. No idea what they may have done but I'm certainly not complaining.

I have noticed the car runs hotter by about 10 to 15 degrees but that may be because of the track key tune. I'll try the standard key by this weekend to see if the temp runs around 210 and not 220.

I hope it now stays this way for a long time.

I'll keep posting as time goes on.

How is yours coming along?
Old 10/15/14, 06:22 PM
GT Member

heya!

I called them today, they said they were putting it all back together. The tech must build his own motors as a hobby or something. Ford hotline usually sends short blocks when they have these lower end issues.

They said they may be done by tomorrow or Friday.

Mine's an auto and I have a 2-1 downshift thud. Some of it's normal but on this car I believe it's excessive. I think the vibration from the rear was so bad, that it damaged a solenoid. If it still has the issue after a test drive, I'll have to leave it there for that. Also need the door panels and fenders fixed, terrible gaps and wind noise.

Glad you got yours done. Enjoy the machine as much as possible.
Old 10/15/14, 06:27 PM
Bullitt Member

heya! I called them today, they said they were putting it all back together. The tech must build his own motors as a hobby or something. Ford hotline usually sends short blocks when they have these lower end issues. They said they may be done by tomorrow or Friday. Mine's an auto and I have a 2-1 downshift thud. Some of it's normal but on this car I believe it's excessive. I think the vibration from the rear was so bad, that it damaged a solenoid. If it still has the issue after a test drive, I'll have to leave it there for that. Also need the door panels and fenders fixed, terrible gaps and wind noise. Glad you got yours done. Enjoy the machine as much as possible.
I have heard on a few threads about the wind noise, weird. Mine is so quiet even with the Corsa extreme mufflers.

Just keep bringing it back while under warranty!!
Old 10/15/14, 06:59 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pminri did the dealership give you any advice on how to brake in the new motor? Just wondering.
Old 10/15/14, 07:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Kestral
Pminri did the dealership give you any advice on how to brake in the new motor? Just wondering.
They did not mention anything but I will be talking to them tomorrow with some other questions I have. If you have any additional questions let me know and I will be sure to ask them.
Old 10/16/14, 08:34 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
heya!

I called them today, they said they were putting it all back together. The tech must build his own motors as a hobby or something. Ford hotline usually sends short blocks when they have these lower end issues.

They said they may be done by tomorrow or Friday.

Mine's an auto and I have a 2-1 downshift thud. Some of it's normal but on this car I believe it's excessive. I think the vibration from the rear was so bad, that it damaged a solenoid. If it still has the issue after a test drive, I'll have to leave it there for that. Also need the door panels and fenders fixed, terrible gaps and wind noise.

Glad you got yours done. Enjoy the machine as much as possible.
Thank you for the update, jc46002003.

Deysha
Old 10/17/14, 04:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Kestral
I was at the dealership today and remembered to ask them about breaking in the motor. They said no break in necessary. Drive it as normal. No issues using the track key either with new motor.

Quick Reply: 2014 5.0 tick - engine being ripped apart