Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

2014 5.0 tick - engine being ripped apart

Search this Thread

Old 10/7/14, 01:23 PM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 5.0 tick - engine being ripped apart

Hi Community,

Just wanted to make a report on my current issues.

My 2014 Mustang GT Prem with 6r80 ( auto ) has been in the shop now for about a total of 50 days. About a week and a half of that was to fix a decel vibration and ring gear noise. The rear end's ring/pinion, bearings and limited slip disks all had to be replaced. Decel vibration was fixed after that. 2600 miles on the car. Only MOD is Borla S.

Right now, it's in the shop for the dreaded 5.0 random tick. It's been in there for the last month. At first, I took it to my selling dealer and they told me to go home because it's a 'normal' noise and thats what their 'hotline' has told them. They said they've had multiple customers with the issue and even new cars on their lot with the issue. They tell all their customers its normal. So with that, I got a 2nd opinion at a different dealer. They took my concern seriously and are working with the Ford hotline for the past month. They found the noise is coming from cylinder number 1. They told me today that the Ford hotline has advised them to pull the motor and replace the number 1 connecting rod and all the bearings. This really suks because dealers don't typically take apart motors. They should be putting a long block in it.

Well, I'm screwed. I'm in touch with the regional Ford manager. Trying to see what she will do for me. They're taking care of a car payment for me but that's not really something that solves my problem soon.

Maybe I should open a BBB?

Last edited by jc46002003; 10/7/14 at 01:26 PM.
Old 10/7/14, 01:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They should at least be installing a shortblock.
Old 10/7/14, 01:39 PM
GT Member

Yes I agree. Especially after me being without the car for this long. Now I have to what, wait another 50 days for them to overhaul the motor? This is wack.
Old 10/7/14, 01:49 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by jc46002003
Yes I agree. Especially after me being without the car for this long. Now I have to what, wait another 50 days for them to overhaul the motor? This is wack.
Check your state lemon laws. Most are 30-day windows. You're at 50, you may qualify. If you want to go that route. I know if my 5.0 develops any issues, I'm pushing for an Aluminator!
Old 10/7/14, 01:58 PM
GT Member

Hi,

Here's the law:

http://www.txdmv.gov/motorists/consu...tion/lemon-law

"The 30 Day Test
If your new vehicle has been out of service for repair due to a defect that substantially impairs the use or market value of the vehicle due to defects covered by the warranty for a total of 30 or more days during the first 24 months or 24,000 miles, and there were at least two repair attempts during the first 12 months or 12000 miles, and the problem still exists. If no loaner vehicle was provided to you by the dealer during this time period, you pass the test."

They offered me a loaner within the 30 days. So it sounds like the law won't help. I could be wrong. I might just fill out the form.

I don't want to drive a POS 4 banger compact sedan. I want to drive my car that I spent 35k on. Driving these rental cars is a complete nightmare, they're horrible.
Old 10/7/14, 02:00 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Hi, Here's the law: http://www.txdmv.gov/motorists/consu...tion/lemon-law "The 30 Day Test If your new vehicle has been out of service for repair due to a defect that substantially impairs the use or market value of the vehicle due to defects covered by the warranty for a total of 30 or more days during the first 24 months or 24,000 miles, and there were at least two repair attempts during the first 12 months or 12000 miles, and the problem still exists. If no loaner vehicle was provided to you by the dealer during this time period, you pass the test." They offered me a loaner within the 30 days. So it sounds like the law won't help. I could be wrong. I might just fill out the form. I don't want to drive a POS 4 banger compact sedan. I want to drive my car that I spent 35k on. Driving these rental cars is a complete nightmare, they're horrible.
I hear ya, and yeah I guess they need to make 2 attempts at repair. It's an "and" type of law, not an "or."
Old 10/7/14, 02:15 PM
GT Member

I just called the Texas DMV Lemon hotline. They recommended I submit my case since I've been without it for as long as I have.

So I have to send Ford a letter, informing them I'm filing under lemon law, get a kind of receipt from them, then submit my case to Texas.
Old 10/7/14, 02:45 PM
Just Plain Rude!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
It sounds like your dealership has been sitting on their ***. I see no reason why it should be taking anywhere near this long for them to get it fixed.

What is their excuse for taking so long? And what did Ford customer service have to say?
Old 10/7/14, 04:56 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stupidgenius36
It sounds like your dealership has been sitting on their ***. I see no reason why it should be taking anywhere near this long for them to get it fixed. What is their excuse for taking so long? And what did Ford customer service have to say?
I just had a warranty short block put in my car. Tasca Ford diagnosed the problem ( see Coyote Down thread) got Ford to send a short block, got it installed all within 7 days ( not business days).
Old 10/7/14, 05:39 PM
GT Member

It sounds like your dealership has been sitting on their ***. I see no reason why it should be taking anywhere near this long for them to get it fixed.

What is their excuse for taking so long? And what did Ford customer service have to say?

Their answer was that they're a small dealership and that their 17 year veteran tech has to bounce between cars/jobs.

I messaged the Ford area manager after I heard that they were going to overhaul my engine and I haven't heard back.

Last edited by jc46002003; 10/9/14 at 07:53 PM.
Old 10/7/14, 05:44 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by pminri
I just had a warranty short block put in my car. Tasca Ford diagnosed the problem ( see Coyote Down thread) got Ford to send a short block, got it installed all within 7 days ( not business days).

I read your thread a while back. Yours sounds like a 2nd car. My Mustang is my daily driver and my only car.

My big fear is that when all their work is done, how much different is my car going to be? The front suspension on this car is in perfect condition. No noise, vibration or alignment issues. What's it going to be like after?
Old 10/7/14, 06:14 PM
Bullitt Member

I read your thread a while back. Yours sounds like a 2nd car. My Mustang is my daily driver and my only car. My big fear is that when all their work is done, how much different is my car going to be? The front suspension on this car is in perfect condition. No noise, vibration or alignment issues. What's it going to be like after?
True this is a seasonal car for fun but like you I still want it to be as good as it was before the problem. I'll update you when I get back from vacation so at least you have a reference.
Old 10/7/14, 06:25 PM
Just Plain Rude!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by pminri

This is a much more reasonable (and realistic) timeline.

Their answer was that they're a small dealership and that their 17 year veteran tech has to bounce between cars/jobs.
That's not a valid excuse to let it sit there for a whole month. If they can't take care of the job, then they should've been paying to have it shipped to a dealership that can handle it.
Old 10/7/14, 06:32 PM
Bullitt Member

This is a much more reasonable (and realistic) timeline. That's not a valid excuse to let it sit there for a whole month. If they can't take care of the job, then they should've been paying to have it shipped to a dealership that can handle it.
That may be a valid reason but they should have been able to tell you that up front. (Kinda water under the bridge now) I'm sure it's in many pieces by now and to late to take it anywhere else. One the up side, at least you have an experienced tech on it..
Old 10/7/14, 08:30 PM

I'd keep leaning on the dealer and Ford to get you what you want.

My 2014 had the tick and had to work with two dealerships. Not because one of the dealerships wasn't helpful but because I moved across the country while the car was waiting to be seen by a Ford Engineer.

Long story short I finally got my car back with a brand new engine. I think the key in my case was being very polite and patient while letting the dealer and the Ford Engineer that under no circumstances would they open my engine.

Good luck!
Old 10/7/14, 08:42 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Buggywhips
I'd keep leaning on the dealer and Ford to get you what you want.

My 2014 had the tick and had to work with two dealerships. Not because one of the dealerships wasn't helpful but because I moved across the country while the car was waiting to be seen by a Ford Engineer.

Long story short I finally got my car back with a brand new engine. I think the key in my case was being very polite and patient while letting the dealer and the Ford Engineer that under no circumstances would they open my engine.

Good luck!

Thanks Buggy,

How does your car overall 'feel' after the new engine? I'm scared to death my car will never be the same. I'm borderline tears right now and getting depressed.
Old 10/8/14, 06:41 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I messaged the Ford area manager after I heard that they were going to overhaul my engine and I haven't heard back. This manager hasn't been very responsive to me. I'm going to go over her head on Twitter.
Hi jc46002003,

I was not able to find an open case for you since April. Will you please PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, best daytime number, and case number?

Deysha
Old 10/8/14, 06:10 PM
GT Member

Hi Deysha,

I've heard that they should be done by Friday, latest Monday. We'll see. My case is already escalated as high as it can go right now.
Old 10/8/14, 07:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Did they do a short block or a long block? I would think if you had metal in the oil re using the cylinder heads would be a risk...
Old 10/8/14, 09:04 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 14Glassback
Did they do a short block or a long block? I would think if you had metal in the oil re using the cylinder heads would be a risk...

No sir. They tore into the motor at the dealership. They won't share much info with me. They're probably on their way back together with it if they're to be done by Friday or Monday.

Quick Reply: 2014 5.0 tick - engine being ripped apart