Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

2013 GT service engine soon is flashing intermittently

Search this Thread

Old 11/22/12, 03:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 GT service engine soon is flashing intermittently

Hello (and happy Thanksgiving),
I picked up my brand new 2013 GT (track pack/recaros/electronics pack) 2 days ago with 22 miles on it. Today while driving on highway I noticed that Service Engine Soon light started flashing and after 30 seconds it stopped blinking. I was really scared and drove carefully home, the light never went on. I tried driving around to see if I can repro the issue, but the light remained off.
Quick search showed that other people have similar problems, for example:
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...-flashing.html.
Has anyone else here had the same problem? If so, what was the root cause and how did you fix that?
My dealer is closed today, but I'll certainly give him a call tomorrow.
But I'm clearly disappointed at the moment, what a bummer to have this on a second day...
Thanks.

UPDATE: looks like well-known problem with 2013, here is another thread with response from a dealer:
http://www.mustangevolution.com/foru...0/#post1379047

Last edited by VroomVroomVroom; 11/22/12 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Added another example of a problem.
Old 11/22/12, 05:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Sorry to hear about your problems. I have read on several sites about the 13's having this problem. I wonder what Ford changed on the 13's because the 11 & 12's do not have this problem.
Old 11/22/12, 05:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Yes, this has happened to me. I have a thread started about this. The flashing light indicates that the car is having a misfire. The DTC codes during scan didnt show a misfire, but under the mode 6 test it showed cylinders 1,3,4 had the misfire. Now my dealer has been great with working with Ford engineers. So far they have changed the plugs, did the camshaft resync, and under Fords call, replaced the crankshaft sensor. The light has not come back on since, and they tell me Ford is still looking into why this has happened.
Old 11/22/12, 06:04 PM
Bullitt Member

I have also experienced this phenomenon, and am working with my dealer and Deysha, it may be a bad PCM, get the dealer involved and let Deysha know about the issue.
Old 11/22/12, 06:17 PM

i had this happen once, but i failed to let the car fully warm up on a cold morning before i took off, and i attributed it to that.....perhaps i diagnosed the cause incorrectly
Old 11/22/12, 09:55 PM
GT Member

i have a 2013 mustang gt myself. I had it for about 5-6 months now and mine has the same problem. It happened the second day I had the car just driving normal cruising it started flashing for about 20-30 secs than went off. Nothing was weird with the engine everything was running fine. Happened again I went to the dealer right away no codes or anything. He said it is weird that it showed no codes. It than happened again weeks later. This is around the time I wanted to tune my car. I brought it to the dealer again he did a neutral profile tune where it loads a neutral profile or something. It didn't happen for weeks. I got a steeda tune and it has happened once since. I plugged the SCT in 10 seconds after it happened no codes AGAIN. I think this has happened about 4 times in the 5 or 6 months I owned the car so its not very FREQUENT however annoying that no ones knows what it is.
Old 11/23/12, 07:47 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by VroomVroomVroom
Hello (and happy Thanksgiving),
I picked up my brand new 2013 GT (track pack/recaros/electronics pack) 2 days ago with 22 miles on it. Today while driving on highway I noticed that Service Engine Soon light started flashing and after 30 seconds it stopped blinking. I was really scared and drove carefully home, the light never went on. I tried driving around to see if I can repro the issue, but the light remained off.
Originally Posted by ILStang
i had this happen once, but i failed to let the car fully warm up on a cold morning before i took off, and i attributed it to that.....perhaps i diagnosed the cause incorrectly
Originally Posted by ATTFighter
i have a 2013 mustang gt myself. I had it for about 5-6 months now and mine has the same problem. It happened the second day I had the car just driving normal cruising it started flashing for about 20-30 secs than went off. Nothing was weird with the engine everything was running fine. Happened again I went to the dealer right away no codes or anything. He said it is weird that it showed no codes.
Hi guys,

I recommend you all make an appointment with your dealers for diagnosis as soon as possible. Then, PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number so I can get this escalated to the customer service manager for your area.

Originally Posted by Cobrakev
Yes, this has happened to me. I have a thread started about this. The flashing light indicates that the car is having a misfire. The DTC codes during scan didnt show a misfire, but under the mode 6 test it showed cylinders 1,3,4 had the misfire. Now my dealer has been great with working with Ford engineers. So far they have changed the plugs, did the camshaft resync, and under Fords call, replaced the crankshaft sensor. The light has not come back on since, and they tell me Ford is still looking into why this has happened.
Originally Posted by Mustang259
I have also experienced this phenomenon, and am working with my dealer and Deysha, it may be a bad PCM, get the dealer involved and let Deysha know about the issue.
Thank you for your input, guys!

Deysha
Old 11/23/12, 10:48 AM
GT Member

Now that I am tuned i cant lol, although the service guy did tell me I can tune my car and he wont care or void my warranty and still do repair work on it. He said just make sure I see the car.

Originally Posted by FordCustomerService
Hi guys,

I recommend you all make an appointment with your dealers for diagnosis as soon as possible. Then, PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number so I can get this escalated to the customer service manager for your area.

Thank you for your input, guys!

Deysha
Old 11/23/12, 02:28 PM

Thank you guys and thank you Deysha!
I'm having an appointment with my dealer service department in less than an hour, I will reply here in case they find something interesting.
Old 11/23/12, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by ATTFighter
Now that I am tuned i cant lol, although the service guy did tell me I can tune my car and he wont care or void my warranty and still do repair work on it. He said just make sure I see the car.
Then, I recommend you let him see it, ATTFighter. This way he can let you know what’s causing the concern.

Deysha
Old 11/24/12, 04:21 PM

Folks at my dealer service center were really helpful.
So I'm having the same misfire problem as reported by many people. I did not see the thread started by Cobrakev until I posted my message, but it's pretty much the same: misfires in 2 cylinders.
However, they found another problem: there is another error code which kept popping up even after resetting the computer. Service center guys contacted Ford, but since today is Saturday, I'll need to wait until Monday, hopefully Ford engineers will have an idea what's wrong.
I've sent PM to Deysha.
Old 11/24/12, 06:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Did they say what the error code was?
Old 11/26/12, 05:53 PM

Folks at my dealer service center were really helpful. So I'm having the same misfire problem as reported by many people...hopefully Ford engineers will have an idea what's wrong.
I've sent PM to Deysha.
Hi VroomVroomVroom,

I escalated your concern. Check your inbox for an update.

Andrea
Old 11/27/12, 10:51 AM

I got my Mustang out of service center yesterday and everything is fine so far.

Cobrakev: There were several codes for misfires, general P0300 and P0304/0307 (that is, 4th and 7th cylinders). The other code was U0401 which I'm having a hard time to decode/understand.
All problems were cleared after performing misfire monitor profile neutral correction procedure per request from Ford engineers.

Andrea: thank you, I've got my car back and no issues so far but I'll be happy to chat with Ford rep anyway.
Old 11/27/12, 07:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by [B
Cobrakev[/B]: There were several codes for misfires, general P0300 and P0304/0307 (that is, 4th and 7th cylinders). The other code was U0401 which I'm having a hard time to decode/understand.
All problems were cleared after performing misfire monitor profile neutral correction procedure per request from Ford engineers.
Code U0401= Invalid Data Received From ECM/PCM. This can be info that is not recieved from the ECM/PCM. A lot of these test results will show up only on the mode 6 test, and not on the standard DTC test. The DTC test is the one most tech's do to find the trouble code. Mode 6 is the indepth test. Your dealership has do the same thing to your car as my dealership has. The only other thing is the changed the crank position sensor. This was changed at the recommendation of the Ford engineers.
Hope this helps, I'm still waiting on the final fix for this problem. I still think it is in the PCM

Last edited by Cobrakev; 11/27/12 at 07:43 PM. Reason: missing word
Old 11/28/12, 03:39 PM

I got my Mustang out of service center yesterday and everything is fine so far...Andrea: thank you, I've got my car back and no issues so far but I'll be happy to chat with Ford rep anyway.
VroomVroomVroom,

No problem...That's good news! Just keep me updated in the future and I'd be happy to help out any way I can.

Nice handle, by the way

Originally Posted by Cobrakev
...Your dealership has do the same thing to your car as my dealership has. The only other thing is the changed the crank position sensor. This was changed at the recommendation of the Ford engineers. Hope this helps, I'm still waiting on the final fix for this problem. I still think it is in the PCM
Cobrakev,

If you are having issues and need a Ford customer service manager, please PM me your VIN, mileage, dealer, full name, and best daytime phone number. It sounds like you have a plan in motion...Either way, just let me know how it turns out.

Thanks,
Andrea
Old 11/30/12, 01:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Update on my MISFIRE issue

Thanks to Deysha, my Regional Ford Service Rep called and also got in contact with my dealer.
The dealer reset the pcm, based on Ford engineers criteria, and so far I have not had a CEL, I was in the dealership today again, and had them check for ghost codes and the tech advised that none were showing.
My issue may be resolved.
It is VERY important that anyone who is experiencing these issues get their dealer and Ford Customer Service involved, the more people who report these issue will help get it resolved quicker.
Keeping my fingers crossed and hoping no more CEL
Old 1/4/13, 10:07 AM

Smile

Hi everyone! I just bought a 2013 Mustang GT premium and within the first few weeks started having the problems that everyone else has mentioned. Today I dropped off my mustang for the 3rd time to my dealership as they have not resolved the issue. The first two times they couldn't find anything wrong because as many of have mentioned, the codes are not showing....I believe on Dec 14th a service bulletin was posted by Ford regarding this specific issue with the 13's and according to my dealership, Ford told them to re-set the timer (computer issue) for the either the crank shaft or the cam shaft (not sure which one)...regardless, that did not fix the issue and so it is in the shop now for the 3rd time. It is getting frustrating to have purchased a brand new car to continually have to put it in the shop. My dealership is aware of the "ghost" codes and this only happens when the car is cold - meaning it has been sitting for several hours. I did read several different solutions from other blogs...I know the dealership ordered parts (although they didn't say what they ordered) and I know that the Tech didn't think that the software re-set was going to fix the problem....Please help!!! Thanks.
Old 1/4/13, 10:45 AM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
You still have a lot of warranty left. Odd problems like this happen sometimes. It's frustrating but I'm sure they will get to the bottom of things. See how it goes when you get it back. We have in house Ford customer service reps here that can help if its still not resolved.
Old 1/4/13, 11:50 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Bears Mom
Hi everyone! I just bought a 2013 Mustang GT premium and within the first few weeks started having the problems that everyone else has mentioned. Today I dropped off my mustang for the 3rd time to my dealership as they have not resolved the issue. The first two times they couldn't find anything wrong because as many of have mentioned, the codes are not showing....I believe on Dec 14th a service bulletin was posted by Ford regarding this specific issue with the 13's and according to my dealership, Ford told them to re-set the timer (computer issue) for the either the crank shaft or the cam shaft (not sure which one)...regardless, that did not fix the issue and so it is in the shop now for the 3rd time. It is getting frustrating to have purchased a brand new car to continually have to put it in the shop. My dealership is aware of the "ghost" codes and this only happens when the car is cold - meaning it has been sitting for several hours. I did read several different solutions from other blogs...I know the dealership ordered parts (although they didn't say what they ordered) and I know that the Tech didn't think that the software re-set was going to fix the problem....Please help!!! Thanks.
Yep, there's really not much anybody on here can tell you to help solve this one. If you don't think your dealer is taking care of you, try another Ford dealer or get in contact with Andrea/Deysha of FordCustomerService on this forum so they can escalate it for you.

Quick Reply: 2013 GT service engine soon is flashing intermittently