Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

2012 Mustang 5.0 smokes Normal?

Search this Thread

Old 3/21/12, 10:13 PM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jewc75
The dealer said the car was 1.5 qts low after me driving it for 500 miles for their oil consumption test. They contacted ford and ford sent them the letter that is in the first post. The dealer informed me that ford was not willing to go any further until the 10k miles had been driven. I was told this is normal for the coyote engine. I also contacted the Ford Executive offices and had someone look into my case and they were told the same thing. If the problems are there after 10k they will look into it further.
Owell then. Drive it to 10k and its still covered. What's the big deal. Just watch the oil level and they will fix it then
Old 3/22/12, 05:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The big deal is I'm eating up warranty waiting for them to fix a problem they believe is normal. If it were normal all coyotes would so it.
Old 3/22/12, 06:46 AM
Bear Eats King...
Bear ****s Bone

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The big deal is I'm eating up warranty waiting for them to fix a problem they believe is normal. If it were normal all coyotes would so it.
Your not "eating up your warranty". You only need to get to 10k. Your warranty goes to 36k. They are not saying they wont fix it. They just want to make sure the engine is broke in. If at 10k its still doing it then they will replace it and you wont have to worry anymore. If they don't then that's when I would throw a fit. Not right now.
Old 3/31/12, 09:19 PM

Well a few weeks ago i installed the GT500 pcv valve and reinstalled the JLT catch can. For the last 3 weeks i havent had any smoke and the car is running much better. Im barely getting any oil in the catch can. All of this over a 17 dollar part.
Old 4/1/12, 09:12 AM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Well a few weeks ago i installed the GT500 pcv valve and reinstalled the JLT catch can. For the last 3 weeks i havent had any smoke and the car is running much better. Im barely getting any oil in the catch can. All of this over a 17 dollar part.
What was the difference between the PCV valves? Just curious, as I thought the engines were different. And, what made you consider this change?

I hope this solves your consumption problem. Are you still keeping track of oil use?
Old 4/1/12, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by SD CALSPCL
What was the difference between the PCV valves? Just curious, as I thought the engines were different. And, what made you consider this change?

I hope this solves your consumption problem. Are you still keeping track of oil use?
Its not using any oil as of late. The catch can barely has any oil in it. This thread is where i got my info from,

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...gt500-pcv.html

So far so good.
Old 4/14/12, 08:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Consumption Quandary

I would hope that the OP solved the problem on his car -- best of luck

Here is some food for thought in the future:
Engines that produce high horsepower will consume more oil than an economy car.

Most current hi-po engines come with high tensile strength compression rings that take some time/mileage to fully seat the cylinder walls, along with low tension oil control rings which are notorious for lack of total oil control. If these engine were sealed tight (like we all want them to be) there would be a sacrifice in performance and the HP numbers would suffer. So if you want performance then there will be a trade-off of sorts. All of my Mustangs use/burn a bit of oil and I've learned to live with this fact.

This is not a Coyote problem specifically, but more a performance issue. I have worked for BMW for 22yrs and starting with the M5 in the late '90's we saw a jump in oil consumption and addressed it by informing the customer at time of purchase he may use more oil in this car vs. their previous model. Keep in mind that was BMW's "MotorSport" car for the enthusiast.

Over time and as horsepower numbers have increased throughout the whole car line, we now put a quart of oil in the customers car before purchase, so when they call and say they have an low oil level light on -- tada!! its in the trunk. Known issue and problem addressed. The current owner manuals indicate the car will use oil between service interval -- some customer note they do use oil and others don't so it's hit and miss based on vast group of variables.

Last point is that I was a BMW forum member (forced induction N54) and there was a extremely lengthily conversation about oil catch cans and oil consumption that turned out quite interesting. A friend recommended a catch can on my 2009 335 Coupe, but after doing some research -- i opted not to go that direction and added only 2qts of oil (between services) and had no other engine related issues. yet there were guys that constantly complained of blue smoke and oil consumption with catch cans -- but that's a whole different conversation.
Old 4/14/12, 08:52 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Shifterboy45
I would hope that the OP solved the problem on his car -- best of luck

Here is some food for thought in the future:
Engines that produce high horsepower will consume more oil than an economy car.

Most current hi-po engines come with high tensile strength compression rings that take some time/mileage to fully seat the cylinder walls, along with low tension oil control rings which are notorious for lack of total oil control. If these engine were sealed tight (like we all want them to be) there would be a sacrifice in performance and the HP numbers would suffer. So if you want performance then there will be a trade-off of sorts. All of my Mustangs use/burn a bit of oil and I've learned to live with this fact.

This is not a Coyote problem specifically, but more a performance issue. I have worked for BMW for 22yrs and starting with the M5 in the late '90's we saw a jump in oil consumption and addressed it by informing the customer at time of purchase he may use more oil in this car vs. their previous model. Keep in mind that was BMW's "MotorSport" car for the enthusiast.

Over time and as horsepower numbers have increased throughout the whole car line, we now put a quart of oil in the customers car before purchase, so when they call and say they have an low oil level light on -- tada!! its in the trunk. Known issue and problem addressed. The current owner manuals indicate the car will use oil between service interval -- some customer note they do use oil and others don't so it's hit and miss based on vast group of variables.

Last point is that I was a BMW forum member (forced induction N54) and there was a extremely lengthily conversation about oil catch cans and oil consumption that turned out quite interesting. A friend recommended a catch can on my 2009 335 Coupe, but after doing some research -- i opted not to go that direction and added only 2qts of oil (between services) and had no other engine related issues. yet there were guys that constantly complained of blue smoke and oil consumption with catch cans -- but that's a whole different conversation.

I agree about the use of oil in high performance cars. While stationed in Europe, on two different occasions, I owned an Alfa GT and a Fiat 124 Sport Coupe, both used oil between changes. In fact the service stations all carried small half litre cans of oil for topping up. No one ever complained about oil use, that I know of, perhaps because we were all used to it and expected it.

I cannot explain why my current GT/CS, with 20,000 miles, has never used a drop of oil between changes, from day one, even though 99% of my driving is highway in the hills, with a lot of shifting and RPM variations, or on the Interstate at 75.

I watch my oil level and check it at least three times a week. I have been using Mobil 1, 5W-20 since my first change at 3000 miles. I now change when the IOL tells me too or every 5000 miles/6 months.
Old 4/30/12, 10:01 AM

Well this car is gone....it wont give me anymore problems. Its been replaced by another 12 5.0 with an auto this time.
Old 4/30/12, 10:05 AM
Cobra Member

Well this car is gone....it wont give me anymore problems. Its been replaced by another 12 5.0 with an auto this time.
Glad it all worked out for you InThe end. Now enjoy your new ride
Old 4/30/12, 10:13 AM

I am, i love this car. I just posted in new user introductions with some pics of it.
Old 5/9/12, 12:57 AM
Bullitt Member

I am, i love this car. I just posted in new user introductions with some pics of it.
Glad you found a good fit!! happy motoring