Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

2012 Leather Seat Wearing Out

Search this Thread

Old 9/14/11, 02:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine is doing the same thing in the same area. I've had my car about 15 months and it has just over 6,500 miles on it. I've treated the leather a few times already with Lexol leather conditioner. I have never gotten into my car with anything in my pockets other than my wallet. I wear denim a lot and it's possible the denim might be a bit hard on the seats sliding in and out but you've got to be kidding me.

Old 9/20/11, 09:02 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
My drivers seat base cover got replaced yesterday with no hassles, under warranty.
Old 9/21/11, 08:56 AM
Mach 1 Member

I've started to notice it too on my 3 month old car. I'm just conditioning the leather every other week now. Seems to help. I've read where dealers have told other people to change the way they are getting in their car. REALLY?! I've owned tons of other leather seated vehicles and have never had a problem like this. Regardless, I've also started backing the seat all the way back so that I don't accidentally brush it and then move it back up. Annoying but what else can I do?
Old 9/22/11, 12:18 PM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by jaybertx
I've started to notice it too on my 3 month old car. I'm just conditioning the leather every other week now. Seems to help.
Hey jaybertx,

Have you brought this up to your dealer’s attention? If not, please make an appointment with them and PM me with your dealer, mileage, and contact info so I can escalate this for you.

Deysha
Old 9/22/11, 01:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by FordCustomerService
Hey jaybertx,

Have you brought this up to your dealer’s attention? If not, please make an appointment with them and PM me with your dealer, mileage, and contact info so I can escalate this for you.

Deysha
Not yet but I will. Thanks Deysha!
Old 9/22/11, 08:08 PM
V6 Member

Cloth seats look like new after 15k miles
Old 9/22/11, 08:30 PM

I have a 2010 Ford Mustang GT Premium Torch Red with the interior package that is black with the white stripe down the center of seat. I think that's the 401A package. Since, you have only had this two months, I would let the dealer look at it. It could be a factory defect. I had a paint blister just below the Mustang plate on the inside of the passenger door. It looked like a water drop. It broke off a week after I purchased the car exposing the bare metal. The dealer fixed it at no charge. Good Luck!!
Old 9/23/11, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by jaybertx
Not yet but I will. Thanks Deysha!
Great! Keep me posted!

Deysha
Old 9/23/11, 04:34 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dont have leather but my cloth seats in my 2011 are wearing out at 6000 miles. At this pace they will be worn through in no time. Lets face it, Ford used some cheap *** materials in these cars to keep costs down and these cars will be junk in less than 5 years. American built quality at its finest.
Old 9/24/11, 06:15 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by RaceRed12
The creasing is on the left and the wear through is beginning on the seam. I am not carrying anything other than my wallet in my back pocket. It looks lear wear from getting in and out of the car to me.
Just saw this on the first page so thought I would provide an update. I take the car in next week to have the seat cover replaced. The dealer and Ford agreed it should not be wearing out. In the past month it has gotten even worse. I now slide the seat back before getting out and sit down butt first instead of stepping in with my right foot and then sitting down. I'm doing all of this to cut down on wear and get in the habit for the new seat cover. Hopefully the seat cover replacement goes well next week. The dealer said it would take 3-4 hours.
Old 9/24/11, 08:01 AM
Mach 1 Member

NOt a new one but my Mom had a similar problem with her 06. My Dad is way up in his years and drags his hind end getting in and out big time and he is a pretty big fellow to boot. Ford replaced the bolster no questions asked. I was quite shocked by the good service because I almost thought it was our fault to some degree.

It was replaced years ago under warranty and for what ever reason the wear has stopped. It could have been a bad part to begin with. I actually prefere the cloth seats for this reason.
Old 9/24/11, 09:48 PM
Cobra R Member

I was going to post about my issue. I have an annoying crease on the front part of the seat under my left leg. It seems to be when I extend my leg to push the clutch, its cause a fold in the leather and resulting in a nasty crease. Im trying to sit closer to minimize it. And the car only has 400 miles/1 month old, 12 GTCS.

Anyone else have similar issue?

Last edited by 2012GTCS; 9/26/11 at 08:14 PM.
Old 9/26/11, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by 2012GTCS
I was going to post about my issue. I have an annoying crease on the front part of the seat under my left leg.
Hey 2012GTCS,

You should also bring this up to your dealer’s attention and then PM me with your dealer, contact info, and VIN so I can escalate this for you.

Deysha
Old 9/26/11, 08:18 PM
Cobra R Member

Deysha,

You don't think thats too "minor" of an issue to go to the dealer for? I dont want to be the "here comes that guy again" at the dealer.
Old 9/27/11, 08:55 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
In my book...if it is not right, it goes to the dealer for them to decide on the outcome. If I don't like that outcome, then we talk more. Never had a major issue yet with several new vehicles.
Old 9/28/11, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by 2012GTCS
Deysha,

You don't think thats too "minor" of an issue to go to the dealer for? I dont want to be the "here comes that guy again" at the dealer.
Did I miss something?!? Lol! But in all seriousness, I agree with AzPete. Whenever you have any type of concern with your vehicle, you should bring it in to your dealer.

Deysha
Old 10/15/11, 08:29 AM

I got my 2012 5.0 about 2 1/2 months ago with the 401a package along with the two toned seats. And the leather on the driver and passenger seat are heavily worn. And there is a lot of excess leather that curls up.
Old 10/26/11, 04:45 PM

Seat Issue

My 2011 GT/CS Convert is also developing creases along the left side of my driver seat. I'm assuming from getting in and out of the car. Only issues with this is the car has approx 1800 miles on it and I purchased it new from the local dealer in August of this year. I'm having a tough time swallowing the fact that I spent over 40k for a car that I have climbed into no more than 40-50 times and I'm already seeing wear. In addition I have a rattle in the driver's door, but undecided if I really want the dealer popping the panel off, removing any sound material, fixing it and then putting it back together (properly). My only experience with the service dept had to do with the fuel pump issue (tank gauge going empty with a 1/2 tank of gas in the car). Took it in to replace the FMP and then picked it up drove it home and heard a rattle. Looked under the car and found two bolts supporting a beam under the car were installed with about 3 threads on a 1" bolt. Unacceptable. My wife drives a PT with leather and her seats show no creasing and it is a 2006 with 45000 miles.
Attached Thumbnails 2012 Leather Seat Wearing Out-img_6891.jpg  
Old 10/26/11, 06:02 PM

So I took my stang to the dealership today. And there excuse was that all leather wears and creases different ways. Theres really not much we can do. I kept explaining that I have had 4 cars with leather seats 2 of them a mustang and one a 2010 and none of them have had this stretched leather look. You can literally push the waves of excess leather around I take everything out of my pockets and I always gently ease in to my car. I only weigh 150. Its frustrating having a brand new car and my seats look like some saggy skin on a once fat person. And on top if all the seems are busting on the passenger seat and rarely does any one sit there. Kinda wishing I would have got the normal mach style seats instead of the premium seats.
Attached Thumbnails 2012 Leather Seat Wearing Out-imag0182.jpg   2012 Leather Seat Wearing Out-imag0331.jpg   2012 Leather Seat Wearing Out-imag0333.jpg  
Old 11/1/11, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by stangfoeva
Obviously this doesn't happen on all if them but this is exactly why I didn't get 401a. 400a seems wear better imo
I had a 2005 with leather seats and drove it for 5 years, 150,000 miles and no problems with stitching or abnormal wear. Hope my 2012 CS holds up as well as that one did. Good so far, 6 weeks.

Quick Reply: 2012 Leather Seat Wearing Out