Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

2012 differential whine at speed

Search this Thread

Old 8/7/13, 12:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 differential whine at speed

My 2012 GT with 19K miles has had a differential whine at 55-60mph and 70-80mph that was very loud. Took into in-town dealer and no help. Went to dealer a couple towns over and they acknowledged the issue and worked on it. First they found a bad carrier bearing and axle bearing. Not much better after that. They then looked at it again and ended up replacing the ring and pinion. No more whine. Problem fixed. Ray Haskell Ford in Oakland ME did a great job and kept at it until resolved. Also had direct support from Ford (Deysha) due to this forum. This is my first American made car since 1977. The car makes me smile every time I drive it and now with no differential whine. I will buy another Ford product due to the warranty and the dealer service I have experienced!

Ken Knight
Augusta, Maine
Old 8/8/13, 10:04 PM
GT Member

That's awesome, glad the problem was taken care of. It's nice to hear good stories like this.
Old 8/13/13, 12:17 AM

Ken, I'm glad that worked out for you and that you are on-board with Ford.
I am willing to put up with dealer problems, if need be at times, to drive a Ford.
I haven't owned anything but Fords for many years now and will not even consider
any other brand. I am more then pleased with my 2014 Mustang!

BTW....I have spent a lot of time in ME.....my son lived in Brunswick and Portland for
many years...great country up there....well, in the summer lol.

Tom,
(Eastern Shore of Maryland)
Old 8/13/13, 07:28 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Downeaster
My 2012 GT with 19K miles has had a differential whine at 55-60mph and 70-80mph that was very loud. Took into in-town dealer and no help. Went to dealer a couple towns over and they acknowledged the issue and worked on it. First they found a bad carrier bearing and axle bearing. Not much better after that. They then looked at it again and ended up replacing the ring and pinion. No more whine. Problem fixed. Ray Haskell Ford in Oakland ME did a great job and kept at it until resolved. Also had direct support from Ford (Deysha) due to this forum. This is my first American made car since 1977. The car makes me smile every time I drive it and now with no differential whine. I will buy another Ford product due to the warranty and the dealer service I have experienced!
Thank you for the kind words, Downeaster! Great to learn this has been taken care of for you.

Deysha
Old 8/20/13, 06:55 PM
GT Member

First they found a bad carrier bearing and axle bearing. Not much better after that. They then looked at it again and ended up replacing the ring and pinion. No more whine. Problem fixed.
Hey Ken,

Did you experience any vibration, or was it just a noise? Was the whine high pitched or more of a low growl?
Old 4/21/14, 07:08 PM

More of whine but no vibration
Old 4/21/14, 07:12 PM

Update 11/01/2013 car is going into storage- the whine is back worse than before. Dealer will repair when cars is taken out in the spring.

Update 04/21/2014- Car is at dealer and I am confident they will repair. Hope Ford will give them good parts or a complete replacement differential including the housing
Old 5/5/14, 11:41 AM

Deysha am having a serious problem with the rear differential in my car again and the dealer just had the car for two weeks for this problem replacing many parts but the problem is worse. I think the dealer is fine but I believe the rear differential housing may be the culprit because everything they have done should cure the whine. Any thoughts on this? Thanks.. Ken Knight 207-215-7581
Old 5/15/14, 10:07 AM
V6 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a sort of vibration/noise-rumble at 55-60 mph. Two trips to the dealer and they said they can not hear/feel it.
My wife will be picking the car up, as I am working long hours this week. I will take it back next week and put someone in the car to experience it with me.
I will be watching this post, and hope all works out well. Good Luck.
Mine is a six, I know the driveshaft is different, not sure about the rear.
Old 5/16/14, 06:31 AM

Deysha am having a serious problem with the rear differential in my car again and the dealer just had the car for two weeks for this problem replacing many parts but the problem is worse. I think the dealer is fine but I believe the rear differential housing may be the culprit because everything they have done should cure the whine. Any thoughts on this? Thanks..
Thank you for the mention, Downeaster! Any updates from your CSM?

Originally Posted by snarlman
I have a sort of vibration/noise-rumble at 55-60 mph. Two trips to the dealer and they said they can not hear/feel it.
My wife will be picking the car up, as I am working long hours this week. I will take it back next week and put someone in the car to experience it with me.
I will be watching this post, and hope all works out well. Good Luck.
Mine is a six, I know the driveshaft is different, not sure about the rear.
Keep your CSM informed, snarlman.

Deysha
Old 5/17/14, 08:48 AM

I do not have a vibration but a very loud distinct whine from the gears/rear diff which overrides the GT500 muffler sound. After the last repair (new carrier, pinion bearings, center bearing for driveshaft) the whine now occurs on power off and power on. I am wondering if Ford has a problem with the differential housing or maybe a heat treating issue with the 3.73 gears. If you follow my posts the local Ford dealer has replaced everything inside the housing and last year when they replaced the ring and pinion the whine went completely away but gradually came back in a couple months and about 1000 miles of highway driving. Am working with Deysha here on the forum from Ford and hopefully some sort of resolution. Will post results.
Old 5/17/14, 07:17 PM

Same problem. 373 Whine.

Have taken to dealer three times cant get them to take this problem seriously. Deysha can you help. Tell me what you need as far as car info needed.
Old 5/19/14, 06:55 AM

I do not have a vibration but a very loud distinct whine from the gears/rear diff which overrides the GT500 muffler sound. After the last repair (new carrier, pinion bearings, center bearing for driveshaft) the whine now occurs on power off and power on. I am wondering if Ford has a problem with the differential housing or maybe a heat treating issue with the 3.73 gears. If you follow my posts the local Ford dealer has replaced everything inside the housing and last year when they replaced the ring and pinion the whine went completely away but gradually came back in a couple months and about 1000 miles of highway driving. Am working with Deysha here on the forum from Ford and hopefully some sort of resolution. Will post results.
Thanks for the info, Downeaster.

Originally Posted by COYOTE DAVE
Have taken to dealer three times cant get them to take this problem seriously. Deysha can you help. Tell me what you need as far as car info needed.
PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, best daytime number, and a brief description of what you’re experiencing, COYOTE DAVE.

Deysha
Old 8/26/14, 06:57 AM

2012 gt Brembo 3.73 car ring and pinion whine

Since my May 2014 post the dealer has replaced pinion, carrier and axle bearing the whole carrier assembly,driveshaft joint. Still no change until late June of 2014 they replaced the ring and pinion for the second time. Lasts for about 200-300 miles and noise is back again. Dealer is doing all they can but parts are hard to come by through Ford and I am just beside myself of that the actual rear end housing has got to be the culprit as it is not letting the carrier set correctly? Ford/Deysha is there any help for me the customer and the servicing dealer?? The dealer working on my car has been quite diligent in trying to resolve but it appears the issue is Ford parts. Can you confirm? By the way Ford was calling me initially but then never got back to me even when I left messages on his extension. Thanks.

Ken K
Old 8/26/14, 03:33 PM

I had this same issue and last year had the carrier bearings replaced which resolved it until last month. This time they replaced the carrier bearings again and the ring/pinion but used Ford Racing parts because the standard replacement parts are on national backorder. So far, this seems to be resolved- something about the ring/pinion that came in these cars were machined in Mexico...? Or so at least that's what i was told.