Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

2011 Mustang GT will not start.

Search this Thread

Old 10/1/12, 05:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 Mustang GT will not start.

Firstly I apologize if this is old or if there are other posts about this. I looked and there are none that I can find where this issue is identical.

The car is at the dealership right now. They have had the car for 7 days and cannot replicate the issue. The issue is that the car will "roll over", in other words the starter will try to crank the engine but the engine will not crank. On a couple of occasions it seems to be getting fuel meaning that it sounds like its trying to start but is not getting enough fuel and other times will will just roll and roll and never even hint at firing. No check engine lights at all. The car has just over 50,000 ( I know, its a daily driver ). Possibly significant conditions is it seems to happen if the car is on 1/4 tank of gas and parked on an incline with the nose going uphill. But the other day it happened after making a 180 degree left hand turn with 1/4 tank of gas. Roadside assistance was called but before they could get there and after sitting for about an hour the car started just fine. On the previous instance of the problem with it sitting in the driveway after it sat on level ground at the end of my driveway for about an hour it started just fine as well.

Initially I was thinking fuel pump/fuel cell issue. On another forum I read a thread with a slightly similar but more frequent issue and it turned out to be the PATS. I know next to nothing about PATS so I am putting it out there to you guys to see if anyone knows anyone or has had this issue. They want me to come get the car but I drive 4 hours one way every week to and from work and usually late night/early morning and cannot have this happen on the side of Interstate 10 at 3 in the morning.
Old 10/1/12, 10:05 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
not sure if your conditions fit, but there is a TSB on something to do with the dual/divided fuel tank our cars have and one side not pumping up into the other side...
Old 10/10/12, 04:27 PM

2011, I think this is the TSB you are referring to, TSB 10-21-3. RobDis, I'm not sure if this helps you. Good luck.

http://blogs.insideline.com/roadtest...az-part-2.html

"This technical service bulletin (TSB) distributed by Ford to its dealers warns of an issue in both Ford Mustang V6 and V8 models in which the fuel gauge indicator drops from approximately half-full to empty. The TSB precisely describes the behavior that we experienced in our Mustang GT 5.0. The fuel gauge dropping from half or a quarter full. The inability to get more than 7 to 10 gallons into the 15-gallon tank. As the TSB notes, the Mustang has a saddle-bag-style fuel tank that straddles the driveshaft. There is an electric fuel pump and a fuel-level sensor on the driver side of the fuel tank. There is a fuel pick-up and fuel-level sensor on the passenger side of the tank. The system picks up fuel first from the passenger side and then from the driver side. The fuel level sensors read the fuel levels on both sides and the two values are averaged for display. When the system reads a large difference between the fuel-level sensors, the fuel level indicator goes to empty and the on-board message center wars of limited range.
In the electrical confusion, the pick-up system fails to switch from the passenger side of the tank to the driver side of the tank. As result, the darn thing runs out of gas."
Old 10/11/12, 09:32 AM
Mach 1 Member

I mentioned that TSB to the service adviser and they checked everything. But since the car wasn't exhibiting the problem everything tested fine. I'm going to try to get videos the next time it does it from the inside and outside of the car.
Old 10/11/12, 10:06 AM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
One suggestion, have the dealer hook up a recorder to the OBDII connection and leave it on while you are driving. This should record all parameters of the engine for them to review, and should show the problem as it takes place, even if the computer is not throwing codes. I am not sure if they have the ability to do this, but it is worth asking them or evem Ford to look into this.
Old 10/11/12, 10:30 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by SD CALSPCL
One suggestion, have the dealer hook up a recorder to the OBDII connection and leave it on while you are driving. This should record all parameters of the engine for them to review, and should show the problem as it takes place, even if the computer is not throwing codes. I am not sure if they have the ability to do this, but it is worth asking them or evem Ford to look into this.
That is an excellent idea. I've had the car back for just over a week now unfortunately with no issues so far. I also thought about this as well except with a tuner plugged into a laptop creating a data-log. But I don't have a tuner so that is a no go at this time. But thank you for the suggestion. As of right now I am stuck waiting for it to happen again or break down completely.
Old 10/12/12, 09:54 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by RobDis
I mentioned that TSB to the service adviser and they checked everything. But since the car wasn't exhibiting the problem everything tested fine. I'm going to try to get videos the next time it does it from the inside and outside of the car.
Originally Posted by SD CALSPCL
This is a great idea, SD CALSPCL!

RobDis, PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number, so I can escalate this for you to the Customer Service Manager for your area.

Deysha
Old 10/12/12, 01:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Could be PATS but you'd see a security indicator. Sounds like fuel pump dying
Old 10/22/12, 07:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Well after being escalated we are still in the same place. Basically waiting for the car to die completely. Got a letter from Ford Customer care that basically said I can bring the car back in and let the dealership have it and see if they can replicate the problem again. Who knows how long it will take them since they had it for 7 days straight already.

But if it dies completely after the warranty expires I will more than likely be on my own for the repairs even though the problem has been reported. I have to say I am pretty dissappointed. So here we go waiting and wondering everytime I get in the car if it will start or not.
Old 10/23/12, 06:24 AM

Well after being escalated we are still in the same place. Basically waiting for the car to die completely. Got a letter from Ford Customer care that basically said I can bring the car back in and let the dealership have it and see if they can replicate the problem again. Who knows how long it will take them since they had it for 7 days straight already.

But if it dies completely after the warranty expires I will more than likely be on my own for the repairs even though the problem has been reported. I have to say I am pretty disappointed. So here we go waiting and wondering every time I get in the car if it will start or not.
Ask your dealer if they have something like a “flight recorder” they can install in your vehicle, RobDis. This way it can record any code it throws when the concern happens. If so, please let me know.

Deysha
Old 12/22/12, 01:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Just thought I would update this thread just in case anyone reading has the issue or experiences this issue. The problem still isn't fixed. It has only exhibited the issue one time since I brought it for service fortunately and didn't leave me stranded. Pretty much the same deal as before, just below a 1/4 tank of gas but this time it was running and at idle when it started but not moving. It was on a slight incline but not very much. Fortunately I was across the street from a gas station and was able to make it to the pumps. After putting in fresh fuel it still gave me a little trouble starting but started after a few minutes and I was off. I thought the problem was over but then as I pulled in my driveway it died again. About an hour later I walked out to the car and turned the key and it started up with no problem. Talk about wanting to pull your hair out! This is my first Mustang and pretty much my mid-life crisis car. It's been a huge disappointment. I still love the car and other than the problems I have had with the notchy gears, torn seat stitching, intermittant fuel/starting issue, and hood latch cable breaking (just happened) I have thoroughly enjoyed the car. Most people would have given up on it and just traded for something else. But I still have hope and I LOVE the car. I plan on keeping it till it needs a new engine and then putting in an engine that will wrinkle the pavement when it takes off! That or passing it down (fully working of course) to one of my kids.

I purchased an SCT Tuner used from another forum member and now have the means to possible "record" the problem. Not sure if it will work or not. I have NOT tuned the car. Just want to clarify that. I want to, don't get me wrong. But I want to see if I can datalog or record the issue first and fix any problems before I tune the car. I will be running Steeda tunes when I do tune the car. More updates later!
Old 12/24/12, 06:43 AM

Just thought I would update this thread just in case anyone reading has the issue or experiences this issue. The problem still isn't fixed.
Let me know if you want me to escalate this again for you.

Deysha
Old 12/25/12, 11:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by FordCustomerService
Let me know if you want me to escalate this again for you.

Deysha
Thank you Deysha but I don't feel that will do any good in this situation. I do appreciate your help though. If anything changes I will let you know.
Old 12/26/12, 06:14 AM

Thank you Deysha but I don't feel that will do any good in this situation. I do appreciate your help though. If anything changes I will let you know.
I understand. I still think you should so you guys can work together on getting this resolved. Just keep me updated.

Deysha
Old 2/2/13, 02:12 PM

Hello all. I was looking for an answer to the exact same problem robDis stated above. My daughters 2011 gt is doing the same thing. It is a factory stock 2011 5.0 with the remote start. The car is now stalling at the traffic lights randomly, and i am concerned she might get hit in the rear end. The car has been maintained only by Ford Dealerships. It had a not crank probelem off and on for a while but it was traced to a lose wire on the starter. any ideas on this other matter? My daughter is due for service in two weeks at the ford shop in va. if they can look at it i will post what they do, or find. Thanks for any input. Dave 73 MACH 1 351CJ
Old 2/2/13, 09:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by cobrajet351
Hello all. I was looking for an answer to the exact same problem robDis stated above. My daughters 2011 gt is doing the same thing. It is a factory stock 2011 5.0 with the remote start. The car is now stalling at the traffic lights randomly, and i am concerned she might get hit in the rear end. The car has been maintained only by Ford Dealerships. It had a not crank probelem off and on for a while but it was traced to a lose wire on the starter. any ideas on this other matter? My daughter is due for service in two weeks at the ford shop in va. if they can look at it i will post what they do, or find. Thanks for any input. Dave 73 MACH 1 351CJ
That one sounds like an O2 sensor on the way out. Until it fails completely it won't throw a code, but it will randomly tell the ignition system it needs "choke" and will stall the motor at idle. It will start back up fine and run until it happens again. This happened to a Ford Thunderbird I used to have. This was hard to track down and really frustrating.
Old 2/9/13, 12:03 PM

Hey folks. I came across a TSB for the fuel pump wire harness, under the rear seat. I left the TSB number at work, so i will post it monday. It said to check where the wires are positioned so they are not damaged by the seat rubbing or crushing them. hope this helps.
Dave.