Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

2011 GT/CS - Engine tick after oil change

Search this Thread

Old 7/20/14, 10:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 GT/CS - Engine tick after oil change

Well guys and gals, I have some unfortunate news. I recently change my oil, with Mobil1 5W20. It developed a tick immediately and has gotten relatively quieter over the past 200 miles.

The tick begins once the engine has reached operating temperature, and only at about 600rpm to 1200rpm. I can duplicate the sound each time I turn the AC on. Also, when I first turn on the AC, I get a sound like someone is knocking on the dash.

Anything sound normal or out of the ordinary? I haven't taken it to the dealer yet, I just want a little more info before I decide to take it in.

Thanks.
Old 7/21/14, 08:10 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by KushBandit
Well guys and gals, I have some unfortunate news. I recently change my oil, with Mobil1 5W20. It developed a tick immediately and has gotten relatively quieter over the past 200 miles.

The tick begins once the engine has reached operating temperature, and only at about 600rpm to 1200rpm. I can duplicate the sound each time I turn the AC on. Also, when I first turn on the AC, I get a sound like someone is knocking on the dash.

Anything sound normal or out of the ordinary? I haven't taken it to the dealer yet, I just want a little more info before I decide to take it in.

Thanks.
Hi KushBandit,

You should bring it in to your dealer and speak with the service manager. He is in the best position to ensure a proper diagnosis, and will be able to provide available options and/or coverage for any work needed.

You can schedule an appointment online here.

Deysha
Old 7/23/14, 09:46 PM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the same issue KushBandit,

Trying to get my local Ford dealer to help me. It's like pulling teeth. I have a 2014 mustang GT auto.

I noticed mine even before my first oil change. I have 2200 miles on the car. Only happens when the AC is on. We most likely just need a new compressor/compressor clutch.

It's weird, I had a different 2014 gt before this one that got totaled. It had the same issue but without the ac running. Same tapping/clicking noise. Sounds like water hitting a fire. Tap tap...tap tap tap..... tap tap........tap.......tap tap tap tap. The car that got totaled had it's issue resolved. They pulled the drive belt off, noise was still there. Pulled the tranny, inspected flex plate and TQ, found no issues. They put it back together, noise went away. Drove it a few months, no issues then WAM, someone pulled out in front of me when I was doing 70, ( they had a stop sign on a farm road, I was on the highway ) car destroyed.

New car, same issue, but only happens with ac compressor running. *throws hands up in the air *

New car also has an issue in the rear end. Differential rebuild kit is on order but on backlog. 3.15s. They say it needs to be re-shimmed. Makes a humming noise when cruising around 64-68 MPH and a clunking sound when switching from forward and reverse and vice/versa but only sometimes. Also has a nasty deceleration vibration which only happens when you let your foot off the gas above 40MPH. I'm hoping that vibration is related to the rear end. The humming noise goes away when you let your feet off the gas, then the vibration starts. I can throw it out of gear and the vibration stops. /sigh

Last edited by jc46002003; 7/23/14 at 09:58 PM.
Old 7/25/14, 08:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
KushBandit - How many miles on your 2011 GT?
Old 7/25/14, 09:03 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kn7671
KushBandit - How many miles on your 2011 GT?
Roughly 35K.

I'm going to the dealer Monday so they can at least have a listen to things, as I don't have the time this week to drop it off. Will update as I go along.

Last edited by KushBandit; 7/25/14 at 09:05 PM.
Old 7/27/14, 04:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You might try a different brand of oil. Back in the day, I used to use 5W-30 Mobil 1 in my 98 chevy truck that I bought new. After I switched to Mobil 1, I had all kinds of tapping noises that were not there before. I eventually switched back to a conventional oil and the noises went away.

I still own this truck today with 127,000 miles on it and the engine is quiet and has never been rebuilt or had any major work done on the engine other than a few intake manifold gasket replacements. I run Pennzoil HM in it.

Mobil 1 is known to be on the thin side for a synthetic.

Wayne