Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

2010 GT charging system woes

Search this Thread

Old 1/17/14, 06:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 GT charging system woes

So as I have read A LOT, seems charging system issues are a common thing. I will keep everyone up to date on my progress as my issue seems almost unique. First, I have a 2010 GT, about 2 years ago (yes, 2 years), I deployed over seas and my car was kept in storage, but the individual taking care of the storage never started the car, and never disconnected the battery. So after returning, of course my battery was shot. I replaced the battery with a red top optima, and the car started up perfectly. But, I had the infamous check charging system light. I took my gt into the dealer as it was still under warranty only to be told that the service department could not find anything wrong with the alternator, but was unable to clear the fault. I went back and forth with the dealer for MONTHS before finally giving up and going to autozone and having the alternator checked. Mind you, I never had a problem with the car starting, running, anything really the entire time this is going on. I have the alternator tested and I'm getting 84amps at idle, diods are good, 14.01 volts running, and battery is at 12.40 volts, but only charged at 69%. Not super concerned with this because everything literally checks out I leave it be... For a couple of years.
Fast forward to a week ago, I decide to start doing heavy mods to the gt. That's where my alternator woes really begin.
I just put in ford racing hot rod cams and now I am noticing a major hesitation in the 2500rpm range! Yes it's tuned and all that good stuff, going back to the charging system issue. I learned that the alternator controls the cam phasers and that my alternator is causing the issue in the 2500 rpm range, not putting out the amps needed once it gets under load. Yesterday I had the alternator tested again with the same exact results as mentioned above.
I have ordered a new alternator from Ford, because, well no one makes one for the 09-10 gt. So I will update tomorrow after I install the new one.... keeping my fingers crossed that this works! I'm at a total loss if it don't!