Notices
Repair and Service Help All Repair related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the Repair of your Mustang

10-12 factory grill loose.

Search this Thread

Old 9/17/13, 11:31 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
10-12 factory grill loose.

I was wondering if anyone else has had an issue with the factory front grill , where the fog lights are, being loose. I've brought my car to the dealership three times for this issue. The last time, today, they said they are all like that. I showed the dealer that three used cars on their lot where not loose like my grill. The manager wrote a request to ford for advice on how to proceed.

I was wondering if anyone else had this issue or if someone else has a fix for it. My dealer is baffled.
Old 9/19/13, 09:11 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. V
I was wondering if anyone else has had an issue with the factory front grill , where the fog lights are, being loose. I've brought my car to the dealership three times for this issue. The last time, today, they said they are all like that. I showed the dealer that three used cars on their lot where not loose like my grill. The manager wrote a request to ford for advice on how to proceed.

I was wondering if anyone else had this issue or if someone else has a fix for it. My dealer is baffled.
Let me get this escalated for you, Mr. V. PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number.

Deysha
Old 9/19/13, 11:04 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by FordService
Let me get this escalated for you, Mr. V. PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number. Deysha
I really appreciate your offer. You rock! My dealership has been really good at taking care of me. I was frustrated when I wrote this because the mechanic working at the dealership and auto body guy there said it was normal for it to move.

My service guy is also the assistant manager. He said he wouldn't stop working on it till it was right. He said he didn't care what his techs said. He wrote a request to ford for possible solutions. I don't want to forward it to you yet because I would like to give him the opportunity to repair it. If this stalls, I'll give you a pm. I really appreciate your support for both me and the other owners here.

Last edited by Mr. V; 9/19/13 at 11:31 AM.
Old 9/20/13, 06:29 AM
NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON THIS SITE! DO NOT USE PM FEATURE!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. V
I really appreciate your offer. You rock! My dealership has been really good at taking care of me. I was frustrated when I wrote this because the mechanic working at the dealership and auto body guy there said it was normal for it to move.

My service guy is also the assistant manager. He said he wouldn't stop working on it till it was right. He said he didn't care what his techs said. He wrote a request to ford for possible solutions. I don't want to forward it to you yet because I would like to give him the opportunity to repair it. If this stalls, I'll give you a pm. I really appreciate your support for both me and the other owners here.
Thank you for the kind words, Mr. V! Keep me posted.

Deysha
Old 9/24/13, 05:02 PM
Cobra R Member

I received a call today from my dealer. According to him, all of the grills on the 10-12 mustangs are loose. I can lift mine and make it shake with the pressure from my pinky. They ordered another grill and hope it will be tighter.

He recommended I consider aftermarket grills if this doesn't work. I'm not happy because I actually like the stock look of my car.

This is a dumb question. Those that have aftermarket grills, how is the fit? I can't stand the rattle or shake on my stock grill. I'm considering changing the grill if it can't be fixed. I'm open to recommendations.
Old 9/24/13, 05:45 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If you like the stock grill, and the new one doesn't resolve your looseness issues, it might be worth modifying the fasteners, or shimming the supporting interfaces. A rubber washer of some standard size, or one made of old inner-tube rubber* might do the trick, and could probably be arranged to be invisible.

* I know its an anachronism, but you'd likely be amazed at how much of a role that stuff has played in my automotive life.
Old 9/24/13, 06:32 PM
Cobra Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Odd....my '11 GT/CS grill has no movement at all. Guess I should have the dealer loosen it up.......NOT......LOL.

Yes, if the new one is loose, their body shop should be able to fix it.
Old 9/24/13, 06:47 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by AzPete
Odd....my '11 GT/CS grill has no movement at all. Guess I should have the dealer loosen it up.......NOT......LOL. Yes, if the new one is loose, their body shop should be able to fix it.
This is what I told them. They are saying they are all loose. I checked the ones on their lot and it barely moved. I don't know what to think. I'm disappointed but don't know what to do.
Old 11/1/13, 04:47 PM
Cobra R Member

After my third grill and a month and a half worth of trips back and forth, it is fixed. It was annoying but I'm glad it's over and I hope it stays fixed. The scary thing my service writer told me was that ford declined the repair and that the dealership was paying for it because I am a loyal customer. It made me feel better and worse all at once. I'm now concerned about ford. Let's hope nothing else fails on my car.