Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

WRITE UP - Bluetooth and Handsfree Phone + switched Console 12v

Search this Thread

Old 11/17/14, 08:29 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by DeeJayTJ
oh my map light is the one from the cars with the security motion sensors.

if you do like i did for the mic, be sure to insulate it with foam REALLY WELL! because if im sitting still, people can hear me fine, if im driving... people here the roadnoise and the car more than they do me. i like the headliner mic option but im not exactly willing to cut my headliner right now.
Right on, thanks! Time to look around for a good place to mount it lol. Not sure if I'm confident enough to cut into the headliner just yet.
Old 12/17/14, 09:08 AM

So I finally got around to ordering, but I'm not sure if I made a mistake. On the site it says SAT is required, but I only have a mute button in that spot on the dash. What does plugging into the SAT input actually do and will it still work OK without it?
Old 12/17/14, 09:12 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by bceeezy
So I finally got around to ordering, but I'm not sure if I made a mistake. On the site it says SAT is required, but I only have a mute button in that spot on the dash. What does plugging into the SAT input actually do and will it still work OK without it?
These cars all come the same aside from little upgrades... So you have the satellite button but no satellite receiver hooked up (I hope) and that's all there is too it. So once you plug in, this grom box basically becomes your "satellite receiver "
Old 12/17/14, 11:51 AM

These cars all come the same aside from little upgrades... So you have the satellite button but no satellite receiver hooked up (I hope) and that's all there is too it. So once you plug in, this grom box basically becomes your "satellite receiver "
That's the thing...I have no satellite button (which I assume means no receiver). It looks like the SAT button is under the AM/FM button usually, but on mine there's only a Mute button. Hope it still works...lol.
Old 12/17/14, 01:14 PM
Bullitt Member

That's the thing...I have no satellite button (which I assume means no receiver). It looks like the SAT button is under the AM/FM button usually, but on mine there's only a Mute button. Hope it still works...lol.
lol wtf??

pic?

no, i dont think its going to work, because to activate the grom box u hit the sirius button even tho the base models didnt come with it unless upgraded.
Old 12/17/14, 10:22 PM

Here you go...I don't think it'll work without the Sirius button either, but I'll give it a shot.

Name:  IMG_20141217_135018-1.jpg
Views: 1510
Size:  14.5 KB
Old 12/18/14, 01:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would think there would have to be a way around this. You should ask Grom Audio through their web support form.

http://www.gromaudio.com/support.html

Maybe you just need to buy a different face plate from ebay as long as there is still a satellite connector on the back of the head unit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-2012-2013-FORD-MUSTANG-RADIO-CLIMATE-CONTROL-STEREO-PANEL-CLARION-OEM-OE-/251547778150?pt=Car_Audio_In_Dash_Receivers&hash=item3a916a7c66

Last edited by Paten; 12/18/14 at 01:42 AM.
Old 12/18/14, 08:53 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Paten
I would think there would have to be a way around this. You should ask Grom Audio through their web support form.

Maybe you just need to buy a different face plate from ebay as long as there is still a satellite connector on the back of the head unit.

Here's one.
LOL i was the guinea pig for grom...

they only supported the previous mustangs and i bought it anyway after looking at the connections to try it. then communicated back and forth with them until they got the bugs worked out.

so i really doubt they will know about the "mute" button, i never knew our cars had a version of headunit that came with a mute button.

I also would look into buying a new factory ford receiver (base model)
Old 12/18/14, 09:30 AM

Lol! It's true that you're the guinea pig for this. I asked customer service about compatibility and they instead referred me to this exact thread haha. I'll try looking for a different stock receiver if it doesn't work initially. Thanks for the help all!
Old 12/18/14, 09:32 AM
Bullitt Member

Lol! It's true that you're the guinea pig for this. I asked customer service about compatibility and they instead referred me to this exact thread haha. I'll try looking for a different stock receiver if it doesn't work initially. Thanks for the help all!
they really are awesome tho! But im 100% sure that without the sirius button, your grom device will not be compatible. It's like plugging into the aux plug in the glovebox but not having the option to select aux.
Old 12/18/14, 10:56 AM

Yeah I'm pretty sure it won't work either. I found the faceplate for a pretty reasonable price on eBay and am looking for the Sirius module. Is this what 13-14 mustang Sirius modules look like? --http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/191345697735?lpid=82
Old 12/18/14, 11:01 AM
Bullitt Member

Yeah I'm pretty sure it won't work either. I found the faceplate for a pretty reasonable price on eBay and am looking for the Sirius module. Is this what 13-14 mustang Sirius modules look like? --http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/191345697735?lpid=82
you dont need the sirius module, u just need the option to hit sirius...

my car before grom audio, i hit sirius and it would say "no satellite radio" - if i actually had the module i'd hear all the radio ads about xm sirius and why i should buy it etc..
Old 12/18/14, 11:08 AM

LOL i was the guinea pig for grom...

they only supported the previous mustangs and i bought it anyway after looking at the connections to try it. then communicated back and forth with them until they got the bugs worked out.

so i really doubt they will know about the "mute" button, i never knew our cars had a version of headunit that came with a mute button.

I also would look into buying a new factory ford receiver (base model)
you dont need the sirius module, u just need the option to hit sirius...

my car before grom audio, i hit sirius and it would say "no satellite radio" - if i actually had the module i'd hear all the radio ads about xm sirius and why i should buy it etc..
Oh really??? That makes it easier/cheaper. I was under the impression that the grom unit plugs into the Sirius module and feeds off of it?
Old 12/18/14, 12:58 PM
Bullitt Member

Oh really??? That makes it easier/cheaper. I was under the impression that the grom unit plugs into the Sirius module and feeds off of it?
nope, it goes inbetween the radio and the wire harnesses and takes place of what would be satellite.

so when you hit sirius it activates the grom module.
Old 12/18/14, 03:46 PM

Got it. Just ordered one, so let's hope it works!
Old 12/18/14, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Paten

Here's one.
Thanks for the link btw. When I was looking around for one, that's the exact one I found and ended up purchasing. Lucky too -- I can't find any more of them at the moment.
Old 12/18/14, 11:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Let us know how this works for you. I'm in the same boat with having the mute button and no Sirius button. If you get this to work I will probably do this as well.
Old 12/19/14, 08:35 AM
Bullitt Member

your steering wheel controls might not work anymore after replacing the radio, ford can change the asbuilt data or you can with a VCMII

(i believe its in the asbuilt data but im not 100%)
Old 12/19/14, 09:46 AM
Fms

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't know if it works the same, but when I contacted the company that sells the factory sirus retrofit they told me since I don't have the Sirus button ( mute instead) that the "music note" button on the steering wheel would cycle thru to change the input. I'm also interested in this set up since for the life of me I can't find the write up for the full on factory swap of Sync, like swapping the module, mirror, and changing the ASBUILT codes....think this might be a easier set up
Old 12/19/14, 11:42 AM
Fms

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Grom replied:
Dear Rory,

Does your vehicle have a CAT button at the least?

You most likely will pres the AUX button until you reach SR1/SR2/SR3 which is Sirius and this will be the GROM mode.

Quick Reply: WRITE UP - Bluetooth and Handsfree Phone + switched Console 12v