Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

WRITE UP - Bluetooth and Handsfree Phone + switched Console 12v

Search this Thread

Old 8/15/14, 08:17 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Mabemjolnir
I'm so glad I found this thread, I've been looking for a way to add sync functionality to my 2013 base mustang.

I ordered a Grom usb2 like the one in the link above, as well as the Bluetooth adapter with microphone.

What I would like help with is how to hook up the Grom unit to the accessory delay power, and not the always on power so it doesn't drain my battery. From what I've been able to find out the accessory delayed power is what keeps the radio on for ten minutes or until the door opens after you turn off the car.

Would I just be able to splice the Grom in to my stereos 12v power? Or is there some other power source in that area that I would be able to splice in to instead? Thank you for any help you can give.
good idea to splice into a switched 12v even though the instructions ask for constant 12v - until our mustangs aren't actually "supported" it doesnt know to power off or go to sleep mode properly.

Luckily Grom Audio does provide firmware updates however they've not done ANYTHING for our mustangs yet....

I spliced into a 12v accessory wire at the back of the radio - basically the same wire that would be used for the amp turn on wire. so my grom audio usb/bluetooth is only on when my radio is on - might not be the best place to splice but i only use it when radio is on anyway.

I hope they come out with an update tho because i want to wire it to a constant 12v as it asks for that way when i get in and start the car the grom will pickup where it left off when it comes to where im at in my music. i also hope steering wheel controls are supported after an update.

Last edited by DeeJayTJ; 9/11/14 at 02:06 PM.
Old 8/15/14, 09:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wasn't aware that the steering wheel controls wouldn't work, is there some way to splice into another wire to get those working also? Without those controls, how do you do different things like answering phone calls and changing music tracks?

Back to what I originally came here for though, how did you know which wire behind the stereo did what? O haven't been able to find a diagram, so I'm a little worried about finding that accessory delay switched power like I mentioned before.

Thanks for such a quick response.
Old 8/15/14, 09:35 AM
Bullitt Member

I wasn't aware that the steering wheel controls wouldn't work, is there some way to splice into another wire to get those working also? Without those controls, how do you do different things like answering phone calls and changing music tracks?

Back to what I originally came here for though, how did you know which wire behind the stereo did what? O haven't been able to find a diagram, so I'm a little worried about finding that accessory delay switched power like I mentioned before.

Thanks for such a quick response.
all of this is in this thread.

to answer calls, hit next track. to ignore or hangup, hit previous track.

to change tracks... hit next track or previous track as normal on the radio.

you dont LOSE steering wheel controls with this, its just that they dont work on the bluetooth module like i wish they did.
Old 8/15/14, 10:01 AM

Im sorry, I just misunderstood that last post. I thought you meant the steering wheel controls dont work at all. Im glad to hear the steering wheel controls the phone calls, and the stereo controls control music etc. I hope they fix it for you in the future so you can have it set up the way you want to.

Thanks again for all the help, I will try to find out which wire is on accessory delay myself, maybe with a voltmeter.
Old 8/18/14, 07:03 PM

Just received and installed my new grom unit. I ended up hooking it to a switched power supply that I found behind the stereo. Other than finding that it was pretty easy installation. I haven't used it for phone calls or anything yet, but the Bluetooth audio seems to work ok. Thanks for all the help.
Old 8/19/14, 01:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Just received and installed my new grom unit. I ended up hooking it to a switched power supply that I found behind the stereo. Other than finding that it was pretty easy installation. I haven't used it for phone calls or anything yet, but the Bluetooth audio seems to work ok. Thanks for all the help.
as long as our phone is bluetooth 4.0 or better the bluetooth quality will be amazing.

what kind of phone do you have?
Old 8/19/14, 02:18 PM

I have the new HTC one (m8) and so far it works great. I got an app that automatically plays my audio app when it connects to bluetooth and that's a nice thing I wanted to happen when I turned on my car. Sometimes when I hit the "satellite" button the radio still says "no satellite radio" and I don't know why. I just hit it a couple times and it works. A couple things that I wish would happen: I wish the stereo would stay on satellite, instead it is always on FM when I turn the car back on. Last thing: I wish the pause/ play button on the stereo would work for the Bluetooth audio source. Currently to pause I have to switch to a different audio source, then switch back. That's usually when I run into the "no satellite radio" problem.
Old 8/19/14, 02:31 PM
Bullitt Member

if it was hooked up to a constant 12v it would always remember to go back to where you left it (such as on satellite) but since it doesn't sleep properly it would certainly drain your battery lol.

well, those sound like very minor issues. hopefully like i said before a new firmware update might fix it! glad it works!
Old 8/19/14, 02:42 PM

Yeah I chatted with them on Facebook a bit now and they said theyre looking into it. Even said they would get back to me soon. I hope they do, they have been really nice and gotten back to me quickly every time. I'll post on here if I learn anything. You're right, they are pretty minor issues.
Old 9/13/14, 12:32 AM
Bullitt Member

okay so I got an update on the grom audio bluetooth setup. They were able to get the unit to go into the sleep mode like its supposed to with a new firmware update.

best thing to do is get the new firmware update (FRD_23 - it might not be on the site yet) and unplug the box, put your usb in, plug in the box. let it update.. and u are done! they told me they are still working out the bugs to make the steering wheel controls work! so eventually this thing will be so much like sync!

edit**

which also means that when you turn your car off, and come back to it, it will remember to start where it left off such as pandora or your music on your phone or usb...

Last edited by DeeJayTJ; 9/14/14 at 08:25 AM.
Old 9/13/14, 03:40 PM

Is there someplace to get that new update or do I just have to wait until it's on the site? Thanks for keeping us posted.
Old 11/13/14, 08:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, what an awesome thread! I have a 2012 Boss 302 (no Sync or Sirius) and have been exploring the possibility of retrofitting a 2009 Sync kit and getting a 2012 Mustang Sync module, but the GROM Audio option looks to be the perfect option for me - especially for $200!

Quick question though, this thread seems to cover the USB 2 model. I looked on GROM's site and there seems to be a new USB 3 model (SKU: FRDU3) which is required for Bluetooth now. Does anyone have any experience with this model yet? I'm planning on keeping an eye out for coupons and picking one of these kits up over the winter while the car covered up in the garage, but figured I'd ask about its compatibility/capabilities. Just from a quick glance, it looks like this newer model supports FLAC files which is a pretty nice feature!

http://www.gromaudio.com/store/usb_a...interface.html

The one thing I was wondering is if anyone knew if their Bluetooth module supported pairing multiple devices simultaneously? I wanted to have my iPhone paired for calls and my iPad mini paired for music and navigation. I'm looking at possibly picking up one of these for my iPad mini to make everything look like it came from the factory: http://idlehandsmfg.com/order/15131769
Old 11/13/14, 08:24 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by usa414
Wow, what an awesome thread! I have a 2012 Boss 302 (no Sync or Sirius) and have been exploring the possibility of retrofitting a 2009 Sync kit and getting a 2012 Mustang Sync module, but the GROM Audio option looks to be the perfect option for me - especially for $200!

Quick question though, this thread seems to cover the USB 2 model. I looked on GROM's site and there seems to be a new USB 3 model (SKU: FRDU3) which is required for Bluetooth now. Does anyone have any experience with this model yet? I'm planning on keeping an eye out for coupons and picking one of these kits up over the winter while the car covered up in the garage, but figured I'd ask about its compatibility/capabilities. Just from a quick glance, it looks like this newer model supports FLAC files which is a pretty nice feature!

http://www.gromaudio.com/store/usb_a...interface.html

The one thing I was wondering is if anyone knew if their Bluetooth module supported pairing multiple devices simultaneously? I wanted to have my iPhone paired for calls and my iPad mini paired for music and navigation. I'm looking at possibly picking up one of these for my iPad mini to make everything look like it came from the factory: http://idlehandsmfg.com/order/15131769
this thread has been wrong the whole time. lol, the usb3 is the one you want. thats the one i have for bluetooth.

heres my ipad mini setup before i swapped to leather seats.

Last edited by DeeJayTJ; 11/13/14 at 08:26 AM.
Old 11/13/14, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by DeeJayTJ
this thread has been wrong the whole time. lol, the usb3 is the one you want. thats the one i have for bluetooth.
OK haha, that makes more sense then! Thanks for the quick reply, can't wait to get one of these kits installed in my car. I just have to figure out the best way to mount the mic (which I know you went into a bit) because it gets pretty loud in my car since I run the factory quad pipes without the restrictor plates in.

Your interior looks AWESOME with that iPad mini mount too, I guess now I HAVE to get one, haha!

Thanks for the quick response!

Last edited by usa414; 11/13/14 at 08:31 AM.
Old 11/13/14, 08:32 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by usa414
OK haha, that makes more sense then! Thanks for the quick reply, can't wait to get one of these kits installed in my car. I just have to figure out the best way to mount the mic (which I know you went into a bit) because it gets pretty loud in my car since I run the factory quad pipes without the restrictor plates in.

Thanks for the quick response!
just remember that the bluetooth will only support one device at a time, so if you get an ipad mini in there, your phone wouldnt be able to connect.

this is the only reason why i have 2 bluetooth modules in my car. grom for my phone and the other one for my ipad. (tho i have the other bluetooth adapter hooked up into the line in on the grom box under the center console and used a relay to make it switched power rather than constant.)

also, I'd email them and ask if they still are making those ipad mini mounts, we have another thread on here about them. While many users have had no problem with theirs (including me) a few others have had horrible luck just getting ahold of musicarnw.

Last edited by DeeJayTJ; 11/13/14 at 08:34 AM.
Old 11/13/14, 08:37 AM
Bullitt Member

actually you are right.. mine is a usb2 i even have a picture of mine. HAHA.

however it looks to be the exact same thing, just that all the firmware is up to date.
Old 11/13/14, 12:54 PM

GROM-USB2P-FRD vs. GROM-FRDU3

This is the response I just received from GROM...
"The difference between the 2 devices is the USB3 Has iphone/ipad/ipod support through USB connection, Where as the USB2P only supports flash drives and android devices through usb connection."
This has me wondering about the iPad Mini mount... Maybe I can get something that isn't quite as clean looking, but have the ability to plug the iPad into the GROM-FRDU3 via USB and have my iPhone connected to Bluetooth for calls so I won't need two Bluetooth adapters.

I think I'm going to keep an eye out for GROM coupons and do the install and some testing in the spring unless something pops up within the next couple weeks.
Old 11/13/14, 12:55 PM
Bullitt Member

guess ill be upgrading to the usb3 because im switching back to iphone!
Old 11/13/14, 10:36 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm so happy I found this thread! I've been looking for a hands-free integrated Bluetooth option since I got the car. Thanks for the great write-up! I have a couple of questions:

Where in the world did you find the map light bezel piece to hide the mic? I've been searching everywhere and couldn't find anything except for the billet accents.

Any tips for running the cord for the mic? Did you just pop off the A-pillars it through there?
Old 11/14/14, 09:19 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by bceeezy
I'm so happy I found this thread! I've been looking for a hands-free integrated Bluetooth option since I got the car. Thanks for the great write-up! I have a couple of questions:

Where in the world did you find the map light bezel piece to hide the mic? I've been searching everywhere and couldn't find anything except for the billet accents.

Any tips for running the cord for the mic? Did you just pop off the A-pillars it through there?
oh my map light is the one from the cars with the security motion sensors.

if you do like i did for the mic, be sure to insulate it with foam REALLY WELL! because if im sitting still, people can hear me fine, if im driving... people here the roadnoise and the car more than they do me. i like the headliner mic option but im not exactly willing to cut my headliner right now.

Quick Reply: WRITE UP - Bluetooth and Handsfree Phone + switched Console 12v