Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

What material to use for mounting 6" speaker in 6x8 door opening?

Search this Thread

Old 3/4/14, 09:23 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What material to use for mounting 6" speaker in 6x8 door opening?

I have a nice set of Infinity separates and will be installing the 6" woofer in the spot normally used for the 6x8. I have a mounting bracket that came with the speakers that will be attached to the factory 6x8 bracket on my '13 Boss. I have already checked clearance depth and it will fit just fine, just requires some custom work to fit into the 6x8 opening.

There will obviously be some open air space if I just use the Infinity bracket on top of the factory bracket. What would be the best material to cut to size to fit over the factory bracket?

I have a big sheet of peg board that I could cut and then seal the holes with some dynamat scraps, but wanted to post here and see if anyone had a cheap and easy to install suggestion.

Thanks.
Old 3/4/14, 06:43 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Use something that will be stiff enough to not vibrate or flex. I wouldn't use pegboard due to the holes, but if you cover them in dynamat it may work. One thing I would do before that is to at least coat them in paint or bedliner to help prevent moisture from getting to the wood. I've used MDF most of the time, but paint it first. I am in Florida though where humidity hovers around 100% most of the time. Some people will use ABS or other kinds of plastic to help with moisture issues. I've even seen people buy cutting boards and cut those up.
Old 3/4/14, 07:02 PM
Cobra Member

Pegboard is a last resort, but it should be fine as it's not super humid up here in New England. I'll take a walk around the roofing and plumbing sections in Lowes. They didn't have anything in the wood/building supply area. Maybe I can find a section of vinyl trim that will be thick enough for my needs?
Old 3/5/14, 05:00 PM
GT Member

I doubt any vinyl that you find at the lowes is going to be thick enough. I don't even think anything in the plexi/lexan section there is thick enough. If i was buying from Lowes I'd look at the birch wood. They have some pre-cut sections that will work well. Then just cut them to size and paint them up. The birch is 5 layer, but is fairly light. You'd probably be okay with the 1/2" stuff. It should be in the shelving/cedar area where they have some pre-cut 2*2 and 2*4 boards in 1/2" and 3/4" thickness. I used two 1/2" pieces glued/laminated together for my sub woofer baffle.
Old 3/5/14, 05:18 PM
Cobra Member

I found some storage bins on clearance, 2 for a whopping $3.75. I will cut the plastic on one of them to size, it looks thick enough that I shouldn't have vibration issues. I'm not just cutting holes in this material and dropping the speakers in, I have the Infinity mounting bracket that will be 'on top' and the filler plastic will be covering up the 6x8 opening, with a layer of GT Mat on the metal surface to seal things up. I'll post pix later after I get it cut to size.
Old 3/5/14, 05:21 PM
GT Member

Good deal. Get custom and be different. No problem with that. If i can get over this bout with bronchitis I'll finish my front stage and get my processor in. I'm actually getting itchy on wanting to get it all complete.