'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

swing for the Shaker upgrade to keep up with wife's explorer?

Search this Thread

Old 2/6/13, 08:20 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
swing for the Shaker upgrade to keep up with wife's explorer?

So my dear wife got herself a new Explorer. its part of the arrangement that she is going to drive the "utility" vehicle and I will drive the "fun" one. Currently, I drive an overkill 3/4 ton because, well, it has to feel a little special. She's traded her little turbo Volvo wagon in on this new Explorer, and i now have the green light to actually order my moostang.

So anyway... None of us has ever had a vehicle with anything close to a decent stereo since the amateur instal of an Alpine setup I put in my first car. So i may be out of touch but, the 8 speaker stereo in her leather XLT (not even the sony pack) THUMPS. Like, I'm sure its nothing special but it really is all Ill need.

I know this is completely subjective but, does the Shaker 500 really do it for you guys? I see that a lot of people don't go for the "Shaker Pro". From my research it seems like everything is the same except for the sub, and the added wattage to run it.

I know I've seen a user on here who had a new Explorer in his sig, I think he had a Shelby. If someone could point him or anyone else that can personally compare these two stereos for me that'd be great! I don't have a lot of opportunity to do this myself at the dealership because the only Mustang on the whole lot (big dealership, but I live in truck country) is in the showroom and I can't get a good feel for it.

I know people ask about this option a lot but I do appreciate our input for my situation. I want my stereo to be as good as hers!
Old 2/6/13, 08:46 AM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's definitely worth it. Night and day difference. Seriously. I used to be an audiohead when I was younger with insanely powerful systems, and while I don't want anything like that any more I do want something that sounds good. I've heard both and you won't regret upgrading.
Old 2/6/13, 09:18 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Shhhh
It's definitely worth it. Night and day difference. Seriously. I used to be an audiohead when I was younger with insanely powerful systems, and while I don't want anything like that any more I do want something that sounds good. I've heard both and you won't regret upgrading.
Just to clarify, as my original post seems to ramble, I'm comparing Shaker to Shaker pro in relation to my wife's new 8 speaker "premium" stereo in her leather XLT Exploder.

So night and day to the Shaker Pro eh? Last I checked there wasn't even a car in my state with shaker pro to go look at... :-/
Old 2/6/13, 12:11 PM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My current '13 mustang has the shaker regular and I've heard a mustang with the shaker pro with the subwoofers. It sounds great and very clean. Definitely worth it. I thought it was too costly for the '13, but there's no question now which is why my '14 is coming with the pro.
Old 2/6/13, 01:33 PM
GTR Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Is that what it's called now? Shaker & shaker premium?
Old 2/6/13, 01:41 PM
Banned

Shaker 500 and Shaker Pro.

I've heard both, I was even forced to live with a 500 for the better part of a month because my subwoofer/amp blew on the 2nd day of ownership, so i basically had a 500 without the sub and amp. The difference is night and day between the both. Get the Shaker Pro.

Forget the price difference, little impact on the final payment, so go for it. I do highly regret getting the Shaker Pro without getting navigation as well nearly daily. I won't make that mistake again.
Old 2/6/13, 01:45 PM
GTR Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
I know on older models its definitely night & day like y'all say
Old 2/6/13, 05:14 PM
GT Member

I would have loved to have had it but in the '12 you couldn't get both the Shaker 1000 and the Electronics Package. I chose the Electronics Package and upgraded my speakers in the Shaker 500. For me, I wouldn't give up the Electronics Package, it was the best decision I made.
Old 2/6/13, 06:49 PM
V6 Member

Ive got the shaker 500 in my 07 and its adequate for most music. Havent heard the 1000/pro version with the additional sub, but I remember reading a review in either car audio or car stereo review back in the day and they liked it. I used to be very into LOUD LOUD audio in the car. Now I find the volume most days just loud enough to hear the music but still hear the awesome sound of the Ford V8 as background rear fill lol.