Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

STARTED MY IPAD MINI INSTALL PROJECT

Search this Thread

Old 1/12/15, 09:48 AM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
FINNISHED MY IPAD MINI INSTALL PROJECT

I have a '13 GT with Shaker 500. Already changed out all the speakers and added a sub. Now I'm going to disable the factory audio and add a single din head unit, an IPad Mini slider mount and keep the factory climate controls. The head unit will go as high as possible. Then the IPad Mini right below it. There are some great Raxion Nav install instructions on American Muscle. They show you how to move the climate module (which sits right behind the SYNC screen) up and out of the way. I then bent the climate module brackets up and to the sides. After removing the cd/audio unit, the whole area behind the face plate is wide open. I am fabricating a face plate myself (first time) out of ABS. So I am losing SYNC. Not much of loss in my opinion.

The climate/audio controls are incorporated on a single board as far as I can see. So once I removed SYNC and the audio unit, I plugged the controls back in. The climate still works perfectly. So far so good.

The reason the IPad mini is going in below the head unit is because the factory/audio contrrols will be behind it, sticking out the bottom with only the climate controls showing. I know it will be a challenge to make it look right. I have found patience and a little elbow grease goes a long way. I just need to find a paint to match the console.

Why am I doing it this way?
  1. So many people have complained about the Metra and Scosche kits that they are not an option for me. So I am keeping the factory climate controls.
  2. The ADS iData Maestro kit is too expensive. Also, my IPad mini will sit up higher than the double din screen does using the ADS kit.
  3. My son gave me an almost new head unit to use.
  4. My cost will be the IPad Mini, $219 at Walmart, and the fabricating the mount, about $100.
  5. I love DIY projects!
Wish me luck!

Last edited by califsp; 2/21/15 at 07:39 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 1/12/15, 10:03 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
subscribed, please post pics when you are done
Old 1/12/15, 10:28 AM
GT Member

Will do.
Old 1/12/15, 08:23 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Props to you for undertaking such a project! Subscribed for sure!
Old 1/15/15, 08:08 AM
Former Vendor

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Hey Cali - This is awesome and I'm subd as well! Let me know if there's anything we can help out with and if you don't have our Forums Discount Code shoot me a PM! I can see you just rolled onto your 50th post!

Alex
Old 1/15/15, 08:32 AM
GT Member

Cost just went up another $100 for harness, antenna adapter and steering wheel controls. I will post some pics tonight.
Old 1/16/15, 09:05 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you considered one of the Musicar Northwest Ipad mini holders?

I installed Sync into this base 13. Use the ipad mini with the Musicar Northwest ipad holder that I wrapped in carbon fiber to match our radio bezel/console. I also got a wifi OBDII scanner plugged into the OBDII port so this ipad mini can run the DashCommand app WIFI or I can use Sync to connect to it to run music. Right now found the best setup is use the iphone to connect via USB to sync for calls/music and wifi the ipad.
Best of all, it looks great and in about 2 seconds I can pop out the ipad or the entire holder and you can not tell that it was even there. This pic is of the holder just sitting in place. With the magnets, it is held higher and now I have finished the clear coats for the finish on the holder.
Name:  5E6C5716-D5F4-40F8-83AA-DB889C86BA3E_zpsob74ebcn.jpg
Views: 2909
Size:  112.1 KB

Last edited by Deerslayer; 1/16/15 at 09:06 AM.
Old 1/19/15, 10:41 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
^ that looks oem. i was expect them to reduce the price on it for a long long time.
Old 1/20/15, 06:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sub'ed. Im in the middle of this right now. But my plan is to possibly create a overhead console to mount the ac controls in. I've been so busy working on other mods that this project has fallen to the wayside. But the whole car is going in for paint/bodywork in the next week so I should have plenty of time to work on it a little more.
Old 1/21/15, 02:03 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by RobDis
Sub'ed. Im in the middle of this right now. But my plan is to possibly create a overhead console to mount the ac controls in. I've been so busy working on other mods that this project has fallen to the wayside. But the whole car is going in for paint/bodywork in the next week so I should have plenty of time to work on it a little more.
I'm not sure if you've seen this before but just thought I would throw this your way:
Overhead roof controls.
http://www.3spro.com/mustang/
Old 1/21/15, 10:13 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Moejoe_989
I'm not sure if you've seen this before but just thought I would throw this your way:
Overhead roof controls.
That kit is nice. The gentleman who designed it came to my house to show it, when he was first doing them. It has come to be even more refined now.

The bezel is really nice now. In truth I wish there was a way to just use the IPAD in the bezzel and have a way to control the havoc from it.

I am surprised that nobody has come up with it as yet. IDATA-Link has it, I can control my Havoc from the Kenwood deck. I'm sure it could be done by using a Ipad...
Old 1/21/15, 02:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

Overhead roof controls.
Yeah that's pretty much where I got the idea from. But last time I checked it was very expensive. But its very nice, just far from what I am willing to pay. Plus I like doing these types of things anyway.
Old 1/21/15, 05:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by RobDis
Yeah that's pretty much where I got the idea from. But last time I checked it was very expensive. But its very nice, just far from what I am willing to pay. Plus I like doing these types of things anyway.
Well, if you get something completed and you think about maybe making a kit, or a mold, maybe some members might be interested in buying it?
But then again, you are doing this for yourself.
I understand that you might not want someone else to have the same thing as you.
Old 1/22/15, 10:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

Well, if you get something completed and you think about maybe making a kit, or a mold, maybe some members might be interested in buying it?
But then again, you are doing this for yourself.
I understand that you might not want someone else to have the same thing as you.
Oh no man I have no problem with that. I half thought about it actually. But mass producing something is not quite so easy. If I didn't have a full time job and could sit around and tinker all day then yes most definitely. And thats not to say I won't still do that. But mine will much simpler than the one the other guy makes. But it would be a good place to mount some other switches or even a possibly a small screen with a rear view cam. I'm still tossing around all the possibilities and seeing how much its going to cost.
Old 1/22/15, 01:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

subscribed. Looks like a fun winter project.

I have had the scosche kit in for 3+ years now and am very happy with it. once you get used to having the head unit down low, it's fine. not sure what the complaints were other than the battery drain issue which was easily solved with a firmware update.
Old 1/22/15, 06:38 PM
GT Member

I bought my iPad mini 2 dock. It looks great.

Name:  imagejpg1_zpsb6766629.jpg
Views: 1279
Size:  67.4 KB

Last edited by amplifier28; 1/22/15 at 06:39 PM.
Old 1/23/15, 10:40 AM
Bullitt Member

I wanted to try this IPda ideal, but did not want to do the whole control on the roof thing. Also yes it is pretty expensive. 1500, but it is set up nicely. I would like just to do the ipad...but then you would not have the havoc controls.

I know a while back I was trying a android solution, and someone had figured how to use the havoc controls on a android base system...I wonder if the same could be done for a Apple ? Then you could setup a similar system to the one that has it on the roof, but minus that part.

The dock they use is quite nice as it still keeps the info screen. That would be ideal.
Old 1/27/15, 07:14 PM
GT Member

Here's the area cleared out behind the audio/climate controls.

Old 1/27/15, 07:16 PM
GT Member

Here's the new abs face plate. Three more cuts to make and paint.

Old 1/27/15, 07:19 PM
GT Member

The plan is for the climate controls to attach to the bottom. I'll post a pic of the test fit soon.

Quick Reply: STARTED MY IPAD MINI INSTALL PROJECT