Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

Removing Rear Headrest on 2011 Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 10/4/14, 07:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am going to give this a try tomorrow.
Old 10/4/14, 09:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Scot
This thread has been so helpful! The Evenflo Maestro car seat fits a bit better now and I like the added rear visibility. Here's a photo before taking the second one out.
lucky kids!
Old 10/5/14, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Skotty
Thought I would add a couple of illustrations for things I didn't take pictures of. See attachment. First is an illustration of the issues with our car seat that prompted me to remove the head rest. Second is an illustration of the bracket that the headrest posts slide into. Please note that there are 2 plastic pieces, one on each side, each with a button, but I only drew in one of them. The bracket has a plastic piece on each side. Each plastic piece has a button to press to release the posts. The button isn't really red, I just filled it in red for clarity.

A couple of additional notes. It might be possible to thread the 3rd LATCH point between the headrest and seatback for a better fit, but it would be difficult to do at best, and still wouldn't be a nice fit. Also, with a little prodding around, there is a slight chance you might figure out how to push the headrest buttons without having to reach up inside the seat behind the fabric and foam, but I doubt it.
Thank you! This is a very helpful posting.
Old 9/13/16, 05:02 PM

Fantastic post !!!
I went to three Ford dealership and the three of them told me that they had never received such a request + that it was not possible to remove them at all.... One even added that even if it was possible, it cannot be done by law !!!!!

Simply a bunch of nut case !!!

I've looked at all your message and decided to DIY.... on my 2013 Mustang Convertible. You don't need to remove anything but rather work on removing the layer of clothe behind the seat to get access to the two buttons. The two buttons will need to be pushed at the same time and the magic happen.

Thanks again guys !!!

Old 9/21/16, 05:21 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Now if I could only remove the rears and figure out a way to incorporate the pivotal hinge to my front headrests. I miss the adjustable front headrests in my 13' that my 12' is lacking. I've been trolling ebay for 13-14 headrests out of a wreck but haven't had any luck.
The following users liked this post:
m00ziekar (6/27/21)
Old 11/21/21, 02:14 PM

Smile Photos of the rear headrest release button 2011 convertible

Hi all,
I really appreciate this forum and thread on how to remove the rear headrests. I have a 2011 convertible and thought it would be useful in years to come to see some photos of how the headrests are held in place in a 2011 convertible. Whether this applies to any other year or the coupe I cannot say. I already had removed the back seats from my car as part of a backup camera installation since I wanted to run the video and power wires through the center console and under the rear seat where there is already a big collection of wires to the rear of the car. I know it is common to run the wires along one side of the interior trim and panels, but for me it was easier to go through the center console since I had it apart as part of installing a new infotainment system & heating controls.
While I had the back seat out I had already determined that I don't need the rear headrests reducing rear view visibility, they look silly folded over, and I have no intention of putting any person over 5'2" in the back seat. I have attached photos of what the mechanism is that holds the headrests in place. Apparently if you are pretty strong it may also be possible to just yank these headrests out of their sockets and I did try that with no luck.
Twenty years from now these photos may help someone trying to remove the headrests.from a 2011 Mustang convertible. It does seem strange that Ford did not make the rear headrests with the latch release buttons accessible on top of the seat the way they are on the front seat headrests. This seems like a bit of a goof by the interior design team/person.

2011 convertible rear headrest latch mechanism

button that releases rear headrests

screwdriver pressing release button

pressing rear headrest release button with screwdriver

notch on rear seat headrest post that holds it in place