Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

rear headrest fabric removal?-The tilt button.

Search this Thread

Old 8/19/14, 02:34 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
rear headrest fabric removal?-The tilt button.

I want to pull the cloth off of the headrest from the rear seats, the rear headrest are the only parts of the seat i've yet to see written up online or in a video.

the part that concerns me the most is where the button is and the trim piece around the button. do i pry it off? or is there a specific way to remove this piece to do a cloth to leather swap?
Old 8/19/14, 04:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DeeJayTJ
I want to pull the cloth off of the headrest from the rear seats, the rear headrest are the only parts of the seat i've yet to see written up online or in a video.

the part that concerns me the most is where the button is and the trim piece around the button. do i pry it off? or is there a specific way to remove this piece to do a cloth to leather swap?
I've done the fabric to leather swap on my 2011 GT by myself...I didn't have to pull off the buttons...the fabric rear headrests will stretch/pull off the buttons...to install the leather, stretch the leather hole around the button trim piece...you just need to tuck the leather hole around and under the button trim...using a non-marring plastic trim tool helps.

Last edited by magnido45; 8/19/14 at 04:45 PM. Reason: mistype
Old 8/20/14, 05:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
It's been a year but I don't remember taking that piece off to change the fabric. Like magnido says, it just stretches over it IIRC.
Old 8/20/14, 07:52 AM
Bullitt Member

ended up doing this last night and yeah, didnt have to take the buttons off, just stretched and tucked as you guys said.

the leather looks great but i feel like maybe its not tight enough, the only thing that bothers me most is there is a few creases from being stored and shipped other than that, they do look great! i will be doing the front seats on friday.
Old 8/20/14, 09:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Remember to unhook your battery and turn your lights on to drain any charge built up. Your seats have air bags and wires going into the bottom of them.

Be patient. The fronts take much longer and require a lot more elbow grease.

I didn't have any issues opening my doors with the windows all the way up.

Good luck!
Old 8/20/14, 12:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Automatic 5.0
Remember to unhook your battery and turn your lights on to drain any charge built up. Your seats have air bags and wires going into the bottom of them.

Be patient. The fronts take much longer and require a lot more elbow grease.

I didn't have any issues opening my doors with the windows all the way up.

Good luck!
To be safe, I would recommend rolling down the windows half way or all the way down...I took my time throughout the whole install, and when I tried closing the doors (after both doors were left open for some time w/ battery unplugged), the top of the windows got caught on the top door frame, and I couldn't close the doors (since power is needed to lower the windows a bit).

Last edited by magnido45; 8/20/14 at 12:10 PM. Reason: mistype
Old 8/20/14, 12:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by DeeJayTJ
ended up doing this last night and yeah, didnt have to take the buttons off, just stretched and tucked as you guys said.

the leather looks great but i feel like maybe its not tight enough, the only thing that bothers me most is there is a few creases from being stored and shipped other than that, they do look great! i will be doing the front seats on friday.
The wrinkles/creases will disappear over time w/ heat...or carefully use a blowdryer on low setting to take out the wrinkles.
Old 8/20/14, 03:42 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by magnido45
The wrinkles/creases will disappear over time w/ heat...or carefully use a blowdryer on low setting to take out the wrinkles.
My wrinkles came completely out after an afternoon in the sun. Let them come out naturally. Use some conditioner to help the leather relax.
Old 9/25/14, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by magnido45
To be safe, I would recommend rolling down the windows half way or all the way down...I took my time throughout the whole install, and when I tried closing the doors (after both doors were left open for some time w/ battery unplugged), the top of the windows got caught on the top door frame, and I couldn't close the doors (since power is needed to lower the windows a bit).
Hello and thanks for taking time to read this. I understand why disconnecting the battery regards the airbags, but, why the windows up or down? Also to anyone who has replaced their cloth interior for leather, if you have a V6 coupe did you need to add cushion material, if so, how much and where?

thanks!
Old 9/25/14, 10:26 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by MustangD7
Hello and thanks for taking time to read this. I understand why disconnecting the battery regards the airbags, but, why the windows up or down? Also to anyone who has replaced their cloth interior for leather, if you have a V6 coupe did you need to add cushion material, if so, how much and where?

thanks!
the windows roll down a little bit when you open the doors and then go back up again when you close them this is supposedly for pressure and to help the doors close without slamming them.

as far as cloth to leather - several have done that conversion including myself. its not easy but its not hard, its just time consuming.

you will not have to add foam - however the headrest are different from 10-12 vs 13/14

the 13/14 have more foam (just an insert actually) than the 10-12. Atleast, that is my understanding of it.