Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

Base vs. Premium Interior Differences

Search this Thread

Old 9/25/14, 09:39 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Base vs. Premium Interior Differences

So I giddily bought a '14 base GT manual back in Feb with pretty much no options except the 3.73 ratio'd gearing. I don't have Sync or anything. And...I've been pretty happy that way. My wife's new '15 Yukon XL has so much techno junk I can hardly drive it. But The one thing I have kinda sorta wished I had was leather. So I bought some take-offs that will arrive today. But I was just wondering...If I DID want to "premium-ify" my interior a bit more, what are the other actual differences between the two?

Obviously the gauge cluster, sync, the Shaker and/or nav... I'm probably not touching anything electronic. But I've heard conflicting discussion of things like the steering wheel. Mine's leather-feeling but I have no idea of it is real or not. Not a big concern, either. Just wondering if there's a different wheel.

What about the dash panels? Do they pop right off? I've got the dull grey ones. I know I've seen they more silvery ones in some cars.

I'm not really up for adding a bunch of little chrome trim pieces. I bought a set of satin-look window switch panels and honestly, they look like something out of a JC Whitney catalog (do they still make those?).

Just curious and sorry if this has been asked a zillion times. Someone could like me to that thread...
Old 9/25/14, 10:31 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by bkrell
So I giddily bought a '14 base GT manual back in Feb with pretty much no options except the 3.73 ratio'd gearing. I don't have Sync or anything. And...I've been pretty happy that way. My wife's new '15 Yukon XL has so much techno junk I can hardly drive it. But The one thing I have kinda sorta wished I had was leather. So I bought some take-offs that will arrive today. But I was just wondering...If I DID want to "premium-ify" my interior a bit more, what are the other actual differences between the two?

Obviously the gauge cluster, sync, the Shaker and/or nav... I'm probably not touching anything electronic. But I've heard conflicting discussion of things like the steering wheel. Mine's leather-feeling but I have no idea of it is real or not. Not a big concern, either. Just wondering if there's a different wheel.

What about the dash panels? Do they pop right off? I've got the dull grey ones. I know I've seen they more silvery ones in some cars.

I'm not really up for adding a bunch of little chrome trim pieces. I bought a set of satin-look window switch panels and honestly, they look like something out of a JC Whitney catalog (do they still make those?).

Just curious and sorry if this has been asked a zillion times. Someone could like me to that thread...
I'm pretty much building a premium from my base with cloth seats.

I'm adding the trackapps lcd cluster next.

I've added the factory ambient lighting, factory leather seat swap (just the skins like you are doing), i've upgraded my sound system by swapping door panels with a gt500 to give me the door subs and i wired them into a small amp hidden in a kick panel. I've upgraded the door speakers. rear cam spoiler is in progress now wired up to a rear view mirror with built-in lcd.
i've got a device under my console hooked up to my radio to give me usb/bluetooth/handsfree calling very very similar to sync.

next on my list after the cluster is shift ****, leather ebrake boot and handle, and leather shift boot.
Old 9/26/14, 07:45 AM
GT Member

Ah yeah I'm ambivalent about music and speakers. I WOULD like a factory-ish bluetooth capability and really, my salesman lied to me about it, insisting it was standard on all Mustangs. But I got a garmin w/ bluetooth so that works well enough for calls.

The cluster is one of those things where it just seems to be a big PITA to go through all the steps. I'd really love track apps but...not that much.

But I DID get my seat leather in last night and wow, that's going to be an upgrade! Now to pencil in time to do it....

But so, from base to premium (interior-wise)there's:
Better radio/speakers
sync/bluetooth
seats
ebrake handle and boot?
steering wheel???
power seats (meh-who cares?)
more silvery dash panels
door panel inserts
track apps

Anything else?
Old 9/26/14, 07:55 AM
Bullitt Member

the door panels in the premium have the 8" subs.

your radio will sound just as good (if not better) if you just swap out the speakers for something better.

the only thing i think you missed on the list was ambient lighting.

oh and of course one of the options the premium has would be navigation.
Old 9/26/14, 08:53 AM
GT Member

I did get spoiled having factory nav on my Si and swore I'd never go nav-less again. But a cheap V-8 sabotaged that, lol.

But I really am torn about whether I would go factory with that or not. Has anyone here gone the Crutchfield route? They make an aftermarket kit that completely replaces the center console, giving the a/c touchscreen controls. Then receivers w/ nav range there from $300 to $1000 depending on how fancy you want to get.

Regarding speakers, I'm so ignorant on car stereos, I wouldn't know what's good and isn't. By the time I had my first car, I was so broke that I never spent any money on the stereo and when I finally had the money, I think I spent it all on either cigarettes or my girlfriend (now wife of 13 yrs), lol.

Don't get me started on ambient lighting. I want to know when the heck this became optional on everything. I seems like all the 80's and 90's cars my parents and I had all had that standard. Maybe I'm just misremembering... It would be nice...
Old 9/26/14, 09:28 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Ambient lighting was standard on nicer cars for years (like Cadillacs and stuff) but the Chevy version of that car it would be optional...

Anyway, how about the heated mirrors with pony projectors? Aluminum pedals? Also 401A interior components like the shift **** and shift boot?
Old 9/26/14, 09:43 AM
Bullitt Member

good point, i forgot about heated mirrors with projectors, - on 13/14s thats already wired and you can buy the heated mirrors with pony projectors and install them. there is actually a thread for that in these forums.

shift **** is the same, but the boot and ebrake boot are white stitched leather.
Old 9/26/14, 09:46 AM
Bullitt Member

this pic is before i had my leather seats, but you could always go this route for nav. this is an ipad mini. I'm not so sure the guys that made the mount are still making them tho.

Old 9/26/14, 09:52 AM
GT Member

Good info on the mirrors/pony projectors! I honestly think the pony projectors are one of the goofiest things I've ever heard of but that's also why I maybe would take the time to add them, lol. What's funny is Lincoln has a version, too! I noticed that when I was trying to get my wife to buy a Navigator L instead of a Yukon XL...

Yeah, I may look for those boots...

Regarding ambient lighting, my mom always drove LeSabres and Bonnevilles until she traded her last Bonneville for an Accord. My dad drove a couple of Dusters, a Chevette that he squeezed 500k miles out of, and a handful of Cavaliers. He's still driving an '02 Sunfire, lol. I can't make him buy better cars... So she had interior lighting...he was lucky to have compression...
Old 9/26/14, 10:08 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by bkrell
Good info on the mirrors/pony projectors! I honestly think the pony projectors are one of the goofiest things I've ever heard of but that's also why I maybe would take the time to add them, lol. What's funny is Lincoln has a version, too! I noticed that when I was trying to get my wife to buy a Navigator L instead of a Yukon XL... Yeah, I may look for those boots... Regarding ambient lighting, my mom always drove LeSabres and Bonnevilles until she traded her last Bonneville for an Accord. My dad drove a couple of Dusters, a Chevette that he squeezed 500k miles out of, and a handful of Cavaliers. He's still driving an '02 Sunfire, lol. I can't make him buy better cars... So she had interior lighting...he was lucky to have compression...
Skip the GT boots and get GT500 Alcantara boots. They look much better. You'll need 11-12 GT500 e-brake boot, and 13-14 GT500 shift boot, if you want to keep them all uniform. The 11-12 GT500 shift boot has white stitching, 13-14 has black, but the e-brake boot on 11-12 is suede, 13-14 is the regular GT leather. Ask me how I know these stupid little details lol
Old 9/26/14, 10:18 AM
GT Member

Lol, pioneers take the arrows!