Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

Questions about adding aftermarket backup cam to Factory Nav

Search this Thread

Old 8/26/21, 09:28 AM
GT Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Questions about adding aftermarket backup cam to Factory Nav

Hey Guys, I've read countless threads about this, but none seem to answer my questions. I'm hoping that someone that has done this job can help me create a "How-To for Dummies" guide for this job . I've never really tackled something like this before, but with a little help I'm confident in a good outcome. I bought an aftermarket camera on
Amazon Amazon
, drilled the hold above the license plate, wired it to the reverse lights on the passenger side, and ran the wire to the front of the car. When I got to the back of the head unit I realized that there is no place to plug it in, and this is where the research and fun begins. What my research has revealed is that I need to buy a composite video adapter to convert the video into differential video (https://www.newark.com/mcm-custom-audio/50-7710/composite-video-balun/dp/73K2022), and wire it into the C210 connector in the passenger footwell. However this is where the instructions become unclear. None of them say what wire to use after the adapter, one picture shows a couple of wires bolted to the side, but the picture of the adapter looks like the output is an ethernet cable. The bolts may be on the other side of the adapter, that side is not shown in the product photos. I have a bunch of ethernet cables laying around the house, If I plug one end into the adapter, cut and pin the other end and plug it into the lower connector is that going to work? How do I know what cables go where? Also, the camera wire has a red wire coming out of the RCA plug, do I need to do something with that, or do I not need it since I spliced into the reverse lights?
Old 8/27/21, 04:53 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 551 Likes on 357 Posts
Some of the cars came with the harness to the trunk, which would allow you to use the video wires. Mine didn't so I had to run the wires to the front and still had to use Lockpick to enable it since if it was not enabled from the factory it would not work. Might be different with the power source using the reverse lights.
Old 8/27/21, 09:16 AM
GT Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Siber Express
Some of the cars came with the harness to the trunk, which would allow you to use the video wires. Mine didn't so I had to run the wires to the front and still had to use Lockpick to enable it since if it was not enabled from the factory it would not work. Might be different with the power source using the reverse lights.
I was planning on using Forscan instead of lockpick, I can't find the lockpick systems for sale.
Old 8/27/21, 06:15 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 551 Likes on 357 Posts
I could not get the Camera to talk to the Electronics Package after making my own harness and pinning it into the plug so I added a RCA plug and went into the lockpick and actually got the power from it also. Here is the wiring diagrams I used on mine. It tells you what pins it is in the plug up by the SJB. I think it is plug C211.
I know I have looked into mine with Forscan but my battery charger went out and it kills the battery pretty quick so I got out of it before I screwed something up. I just haven't gone back into it with the Mustang since I put the new battery clamps on my Charger but I changed stuff on the F150 with it.
Coastal does have the Lockpick Pro up for sale right now, it let me put it in the Cart anyways.