Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

Plastic Scratch - Or OCD us will kill me someday.

Search this Thread

Old 7/26/14, 06:29 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts
Plastic Scratch - Or OCD us will kill me someday.

I found a scratch on the plastic that surrounds the shifter etc. It's right near the sync logo plate below the controls. It's not very deep and I'm not sure if it came from the factory. I've tried buffing it out but it's mostly making the plastic shine up and not removing the scratch.

Any ideas on getting rid of it? I'm assuming a replacement piece at this point will cost a fortune. I'm thinking if all else fails I vinyl it with AM kit. The black brushed metal looks kind of cool.

Thank for any info!

Ugh! Botched the thread title.
Old 7/26/14, 07:48 AM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by VidPro
I found a scratch on the plastic that surrounds the shifter etc. It's right near the sync logo plate below the controls. It's not very deep and I'm not sure if it came from the factory. I've tried buffing it out but it's mostly making the plastic shine up and not removing the scratch.

Any ideas on getting rid of it? I'm assuming a replacement piece at this point will cost a fortune. I'm thinking if all else fails I vinyl it with AM kit. The black brushed metal looks kind of cool.

Thank for any info!

Ugh! Botched the thread title.
Post a picture so we can see what the damage is. I have fixed scratches in plastic before with a little mineral oil and buffing. Scratch remover or tooth paste. Megures make a micro buffing compound and it works great.
Old 7/27/14, 08:11 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 99 Likes on 60 Posts
Thanks for the help.

I tried taking several pics but couldn't get it to show up. It's a combination of where it is and lighting.

I think it's a bit deeper than I thought. I'm afraid if I keep trying to take it out I'll burn through the paint.