Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

Parts for 2011

Search this Thread

Old 2/1/11, 09:35 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Parts for 2011

What is better alluminum or chrome I'm going to order parts for my center console and the part surrounding my shifter an was trying to get opinions on what looks better.
Old 2/1/11, 09:40 PM

I wear my watch on my right hand and it is already scratching up the chrome bezel around the shifter. I'd probably go for aluminum just for its likely longevity.
Old 2/1/11, 10:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Nikki
What is better alluminum or chrome I'm going to order parts for my center console and the part surrounding my shifter an was trying to get opinions on what looks better.
I would also go with aluminum...chrome looks better I think but it scratches easily and looks bad when scratched! And chrome is always marked up with fingerprints and anything else that touches it!! Great for show when clean but looks bad when marked up and will always be marked up.....hope that helps!
Old 2/2/11, 04:47 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks I'm glad to hear you said go with aluminum because that exactly what I ordered the brushed aluminum thanks
Old 2/3/11, 08:27 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Remember, chrome is actually one of the hardest finishes you will find when done properly, whereas raw aluminum is very soft. Now anodized aluminum on the other hand can be very tough as well, so it all depends on what exactly you're buying and the quality of the product.

There is type 1, type 2, etc anodizing for aluminum. Some are Mil-spec, some are decorative. All anodizing is a chemical process changing the outer layer of aluminum to an oxide of it normally (aluminum oxide is what sandpaper is made from, similar in strength to diamonds, hence it's use)

There is flash chrome, nickel chrome, triple layer chrome (what we use on our Tru-Billet line of products with a copper base layer), hard chrome (think bearing surfaces), etc..

Not trying to take this too technical, but as you can see from above, not all chrome nor all aluminum is created equal, so just trying to say to do some homework on your purchase, that's all.