'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

Need Reverse Camera Help

Search this Thread

Old 5/8/14, 05:31 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Need Reverse Camera Help

I installed the OEM reverse camera about a year ago and wired it to my navigation. No issues until now.

I have been having issues with my reverse camera. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. When it doesn't work, I get a black screen or really bad distorted screen with interference. Sometimes it won't even go on at all. The nav is supposed to recognize that the car is in reverse and the screen switches to the camera. Before I installed the camera, the screen would go black, but sometimes it won't even do that. I do see a yellow wrench symbol pop up briefly on the LCD screen on the cluster and then go away.

I'm guessing something is wrong with the wiring and I will check it on the weekend. But I can't see why I am having problems with it now after almost a year of no issues. But could it be something else?
Old 5/9/14, 03:38 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jim010
I installed the OEM reverse camera about a year ago and wired it to my navigation. No issues until now.

I have been having issues with my reverse camera. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't. When it doesn't work, I get a black screen or really bad distorted screen with interference. Sometimes it won't even go on at all. The nav is supposed to recognize that the car is in reverse and the screen switches to the camera. Before I installed the camera, the screen would go black, but sometimes it won't even do that. I do see a yellow wrench symbol pop up briefly on the LCD screen on the cluster and then go away.

I'm guessing something is wrong with the wiring and I will check it on the weekend. But I can't see why I am having problems with it now after almost a year of no issues. But could it be something else?
camera bad?
Old 5/10/14, 03:34 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 562 Likes on 364 Posts
Originally Posted by crazietj
camera bad?
I would say this also.
Old 5/10/14, 11:07 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

If your camera is bad, I have one to test with. Shoot me a PM

LEXiiON
Old 5/10/14, 12:10 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't
Old 5/10/14, 12:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't
Well, if you want to test with my camera to troubleshoot let me know.

LEXiiON
Old 5/13/14, 07:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you install a Lockpick kit to connect your camera ?
Old 5/14/14, 03:19 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Dineau
Have you install a Lockpick kit to connect your camera ?
I do believe he did not need to since the car he pulled the Nav from had it already. I did on mine and had to reverse the video wires to make it work but his was working fine before.
Old 5/14/14, 08:06 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Siber Express
I do believe he did not need to since the car he pulled the Nav from had it already. I did on mine and had to reverse the video wires to make it work but his was working fine before.
That's right. I had it in before and worked fine. I did install lockpick back in the summer, and it still worked fine. It is now spotty. One day it is fine, another day not so good. I have not had time to get in there and see what is wrong yet though.
Old 5/14/14, 06:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I am wondering if it is a loose or dirty connection since it is part time. When mine was messed up there was never a good day.
Old 5/31/14, 04:52 PM
Legacy TMS Member

All fixed. It was a loose connection in the wiring that \I ran under the door sill. I had forgotten that I had to add wire under there because it was too short.

But all is once again good.