Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

My thoughts on the Electronics Package

Search this Thread

Old 8/20/12, 03:24 AM
V6 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
As a tech guy, I couldn't imagine buying anything other than a beater without a nav system.

The tech in a nav system isn't like a computer. It has a very specific purpose: navigation. Will it get out of date? Sure. Will it become obsolete? No. In 5 or 10 years it'll still be a functional nav system. It won't be the latest and greatest, but neither will anything else in the car.

Plus, the car will be already set up for an aftermarket replacement if you want to go that route in a few years to stay "up to date". The price to drop in a new head unit is a lot cheaper than dropping in a head unit + GPS receiver + wiring everything. With a car that has a flourishing aftermarket there will probably be really nice matches replacements.

And the price isn't that much. You gotta compare what your getting apples-to-apples. Sure, you can get a $600 POS nav unit right now at Best Buy, but it'll be a stripped down version without HD radio, steering wheel controls, voice control, Sirius Drivelink (or whatever they call it), 8" screen, sub preamps, integrated jukebox, integrated climate, etc. To get something on that level you're talking $1,500+ That's without integration with the rest of the car.
Old 8/20/12, 03:33 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Snoopy49
When it comes to options, I always tend to go with the ones I need rather than the ones I want. When I ordered my car I decided to skip the NAV, glass roof and Recaros. I skipped the Nav because I considered it a distraction and the GPS updates were very expensive, I passed on the glass roof because I never use the sunroof on present vehicle and my butt didn't fit the Recaros.
If you can rationalize an option, get it, if not, forget about it and move on.
When I bought my '13 loaded up a GT premium with everything I thought I *might* like, and I don't regret it. The extra couple grand is nothing compared to the hit I'd take if I replaced the whole car in a couple years because I didn't like what I bought.

I did the opposite on the first car I bought, and regretted it for 10 years. I'm too money conscious to waste money or I probably would have replaced the car withing 2-3 years at most, which would have been a huge hit to the wallet.
Old 8/20/12, 09:38 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by denlem
My Mustang has real back seats and plenty of trunk space.
Reaching a bit? I think you get my point.

And to those breaking the EP pieces down by price? Please, try OEMing a touch screen with warranty-keeping lifespan while staying responsive through all temperatures, varying degrees of peope's fingers - the pressures to the Oils... Yeah.

As they say, if you have to ask... Next you'll complain the rich seem to have a lower regard of parking regulations and tickets!

I can't believe this thread has degraded this bad, almost as if someone's jealous of the cool screen on the dashboard...

Last edited by JPMotorSport; 8/20/12 at 09:40 AM.
Old 8/20/12, 12:09 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The OP obviously already has his mind made up about the Electronics Package so the point of this thread is what??
Old 8/20/12, 12:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MyStang2010GB
The OP obviously already has his mind made up about the Electronics Package so the point of this thread is what??
He is looking for us to support his decision and agree with him, otherwise he won't be able to sleep at night.
Old 8/20/12, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by dmhines
Not sure about trade-in but EP would definitely help with a private sale. If buyer cant decide between several cars I'm sure having EP would be a tie breaker.
I agree. I'm actually a little surprised the EP's trade-in value is being dismissed as minimal. These days most people want the fancy electronics included and I doubt dealerships would be eager to acquire a trade-in deficient of de rigueur options. Unless they're getting the trade-in at a steal.

Last edited by GT_FlyBy; 8/20/12 at 02:06 PM.
Old 8/20/12, 04:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I suspect 'most people' haven't had other Fords with a bunch of fancy electronics that don't work as advertised... when they work at all. MyFordTouch has gotten quite a bit of bad press, as has SYNC alone. The SYNC in both my Mustangs was pretty reliable... but it was **** in the Taurus, and as mentioned before, the MyFordTouch in the new Escape has been nothing short of a PITA since we got it. And Ford doesn't seem to be in any kind of hurry to fix it.
Old 8/20/12, 04:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by SeattleStang
because I don't think the Electronics Package does diddly squat for a Mustang on trade. I think if you took a 2013 GT premium with everything on it, loaded, with or without the Electronics Package to trade in in 2015, you ain't getting any value for the Electronics Package. .
I don't think you can make a blanket statement like that. All buyers are different. I was recently looking at some pre-owned 2008-09 BMW M3s, but I would not consider the car without the factory Navigation system. That's just me.

Would you get your $2300 back at trade-in? No, but you won't get full price of any option in trade. Kelley Blue Book says that the Navigation system is worth an extra $575 on trade-in for a 2012 Mustang GT.

I personally think the Ford Electronics package is a very desirable option to have.

Last edited by wjones14; 8/20/12 at 04:17 PM.
Old 8/20/12, 06:17 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
The EP will sell higher than a car without it to some people. Find the people who are willing to pay more for a used mustang with the EP. End of discussion. The idea that it won't add value is so ridiculously broad and unclear, might as well say the sky is blue. How old is it? If it's within two market years, **** right it adds value. Five years? Still plenty of people willing to pay more for it. All it has to do is add $10 to the sale price for it to add value. You don't have to find 1500 people willing to pay more for the EP; you just have to find one for the fact that the EP adds value to the car to be true.

This thread is a huge turd.
Old 8/20/12, 10:09 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by wannabe
I suspect 'most people' haven't had other Fords with a bunch of fancy electronics that don't work as advertised... when they work at all. MyFordTouch has gotten quite a bit of bad press, as has SYNC alone. The SYNC in both my Mustangs was pretty reliable... but it was **** in the Taurus, and as mentioned before, the MyFordTouch in the new Escape has been nothing short of a PITA since we got it. And Ford doesn't seem to be in any kind of hurry to fix it.
I have had the Electronics package in my 2010 Mustang GT and Flex..loved it.

I have had Sync in all my Ford products since 2010 and love it as well.

I have the MyFordTouch system in my 2012 Explorer limited and with the exception of the bluetooth noise issue I have no complaints.

So in summary i have had Fords with fancy electronics and the only issue is a bluetooth issue in my Explorer. This is my 6th Ford since 2009 with the fancy electronics...
Old 8/21/12, 04:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

I thought we were just 'cursed' until I did some reading. Glad you don't have any issues.
Old 8/21/12, 07:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by MilesTeg
As a tech guy, I couldn't imagine buying anything other than a beater without a nav system.

The tech in a nav system isn't like a computer. It has a very specific purpose: navigation. Will it get out of date? Sure. Will it become obsolete? No. In 5 or 10 years it'll still be a functional nav system. It won't be the latest and greatest, but neither will anything else in the car.

Plus, the car will be already set up for an aftermarket replacement if you want to go that route in a few years to stay "up to date". The price to drop in a new head unit is a lot cheaper than dropping in a head unit + GPS receiver + wiring everything. With a car that has a flourishing aftermarket there will probably be really nice matches replacements.

And the price isn't that much. You gotta compare what your getting apples-to-apples. Sure, you can get a $600 POS nav unit right now at Best Buy, but it'll be a stripped down version without HD radio, steering wheel controls, voice control, Sirius Drivelink (or whatever they call it), 8" screen, sub preamps, integrated jukebox, integrated climate, etc. To get something on that level you're talking $1,500+ That's without integration with the rest of the car.
I'm a huge tech guy too but I think the price of the Nav system is very high for what it is when I can just use a $100 portable GPS, my smart phone, or my tablet and do the same if not more.
Old 8/21/12, 07:47 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by MyStang2010GB
The OP did make up his mind and I've already changed his order (dropping the EP from his car).
Old 8/21/12, 07:52 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I use SYNC and MyFord Touch daily in a variety of vehicles and rarely have any issues with them. Earlier versions were a little problematic, but that's old news. However, the SYNC & EP in a '13 Mustang work very well (Mustangs don't have MyFord Touch).
Old 8/21/12, 04:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Five Oh Brian
...(Mustangs don't have MyFord Touch).
And hopefully they'll keep it that way. Seriously... it's been nothing but irritating in the Escape. Cool when it works, but since ours acts differently from day to day, I'm not even sure what's 'right' at this point.
Old 8/21/12, 10:07 PM
V6 Member

My '13 sync works great, with only an occasional issue with my phone not connecting, though Bluetooth in general is pretty unreliable.

It's kinda freaky though when my girl's phone connects while it's sitting in the house, and I get a call for her while in the driveway, ha!
Old 8/21/12, 10:38 PM
Banned

get it. it's worth it.

My thoughts after one day of ownership.

I love my Shaker Pro. I should have gotten Nav + Shaker Pro.

I had to look up an address today, and it was annoying that when I played BT to get my nav audio output, it immediately started to play my itunes. I know I need to learn how to use it more, but I kinda do regret not getting the Nav, considering the money the car costs anyway (45k)
Old 8/22/12, 07:57 AM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm a fan of the EP as well. It's just like any other device, you gave to learn how it works and how to use it. I would be willing to bet a good potion of "malfunctions" are user error. It took me a little bit to learn how to operate it properly.

An aftermarket setup that blends as seamlessly with the interior, works with ALL the functionality of the stock system and is tied into a website that can manage settings and updates is difficult if not impossible to come by and not cheap.

I'd be curious to see if someone could post up a nav solution that replaced the factory nav in the same location, retained ALL functionality/ features and looked as clean as the factory nav with actual item numbers and prices and see what the price would be. I'm guessing not as low as the hypothetical systems...

Ford prices it where they do because they do market research and know people who want the benefits I described above will pay slightly more for the stock look and integration.

I specifically waited for a GTCS with Nav and would do it again if I had the chance.

Last edited by 12GTCS; 8/22/12 at 09:18 AM.
Old 8/22/12, 04:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Well since we're now owners of a MyFord Touch vehicle, I hope they can make it right... because it's cool. It's not just me having problems, and it's not because we haven't learned how it works. It's because it's buggy. I think I read this morning where they had 19% of users reporting problems with the 'old' version, and now only 11% or something like that a reporting issues with the new version. So I guess that means they're making progress...

Anyway... dead horse, and not applicable to the Mustang.
Old 8/22/12, 04:35 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Well since we're now owners of a MyFord Touch vehicle, I hope they can make it right... because it's cool. It's not just me having problems, and it's not because we haven't learned how it works. It's because it's buggy. I think I read this morning where they had 19% of users reporting problems with the 'old' version, and now only 11% or something like that a reporting issues with the new version. So I guess that means they're making progress...

Anyway... dead horse, and not applicable to the Mustang.
new update comes out mid September. Supposed to cure my only remaining issue which is the Blue-tooth noise problem. Hope it doesn't give me any other issues

Quick Reply: My thoughts on the Electronics Package