'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

My thoughts on the Electronics Package

Search this Thread

Old 8/18/12, 06:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My thoughts on the Electronics Package

Ok, so I've been doing a lot of thinking about the Electronics Package. Now I read the like 10 page post on here with people going back and forth discussing the merits of having the screen and GPS and whether it's useful or not in a smartphone age. That's not as applicable for me, I have a smartphone, but I do think the huge screen looks nice, and I'd use the GPS if it were there. And I wouldn't hate it or anything, it would only enhance the car.

My problem is what it does to trade-in value. It costs so **** much, let's say I buy a GT this year for 38K with the Electronics Package or 36K without, and I'm not putting a lot down. What happens when I decide next year I want the next coolest Mustang and I go to trade it in. I'm not going to get much of a higher quote for having the Electronics Package than not having it, that's just reality. The value in this car comes from the V8, the power aspects etc. That's just the bottom line. I think the Electronics Package would put one more upside down than they would be. It's better to lower the final price of the car, and thus the amount financed if you think you remotely might trade it in. And Especially because I'm getting the Shaker Pro (sound and subs are infinitely more important to me than a large GPS screen and even that only costs $1000), I'm seriously considering dropping my Electronics Package from my order. Thoughts?

Last edited by SeattleStang; 8/18/12 at 06:37 PM.
Old 8/18/12, 06:39 PM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2000.00 is not a lot especially over 60 months (about 35.00) and If you're worried about trade in value (Jesus Christ) you can't afford it.

Last edited by 11SHELBYGT500; 8/18/12 at 06:43 PM.
Old 8/18/12, 06:39 PM
V6 Member

I just ordered mine with Electronic package included. Being 35 I want the balance of functionality right out off the dealer lot with bluetooth with minimal fuss without having to go aftermarket. But you bring up valid points on the resale, which will in my opinion suck no matter what if you potentially plan to trade in any vehicle after 1-2 years of ownership. If that's your plan, might as well lease.
Old 8/18/12, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by 11SHELBYGT500
2000.00 is not a lot especially over 60 months and If you're worried about trade in value (Jesus Christ) you can't afford it.
Alright, glib comment aside, I can not only afford one, I can afford TWO GTs. That's neither here nor there, that's just to respond to your dumb comment. And I absolutely realize that it only adds about $30 - $40 a month on an average 72 month purchase. Hell I could get add it without blinking an eye and I wouldn't even notice it. That's not my point. If you are one like me who always get the next urge way too soon, like in a year or 2 years to trade it in, you're going to be paying more money to get rid of the car I would guess by the tune of oh, $2000, because I don't think the Electronics Package does diddly squat for a Mustang on trade. I think if you took a 2013 GT premium with everything on it, loaded, with or without the Electronics Package to trade in in 2015, you ain't getting any value for the Electronics Package. They'll say it's an old model, and the inherent value in a car like this is just the intangible aspects, the V8, the power, etc. And technology constantly changes, and for a package like this, everything you see will be low tech in a year let alone 2 years. It screws you if you're an early trade-in'er and want the latest model. My point is just because Ford prices this package ridiculously at 2K, it doesn't make a 36K Mustang really worth the 38K you'd finance on it. It'd be about the same as a $36K Mustang in value I guarantee you on a short term trade.

Last edited by SeattleStang; 8/18/12 at 06:48 PM.
Old 8/18/12, 06:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SeattleStang

Alright, glib comment aside, I can not only afford one, I can afford TWO GTs. That's neither here nor there, that's just to respond to your dumb comment. And I absolutely realize that it only adds about $30 - $40 a month on an average 72 month purchase. Hell I could get add it without blinking an eye and I wouldn't even notice it. That's not my point. If you are one like me who always get the next urge way too soon, like in a year or 2 years to trade it in, you're going to be paying more money to get rid of the car I would guess by the tune of oh, $2000, because I don't think the Electronics Package does diddly squat for a Mustang on trade. I think if you took a 2013 GT premium with everything on it, loaded, with or without the Electronics Package to trade in in 2015, you ain't getting any value for the Electronics Package. They'll say it's an old model, and the inherent value in a car like this is just the intangible aspects, the V8, the power, etc. And technology constantly changes, and for a package like this, everything you see will be low tech in a year let alone 2 years. It screws you if you're an early trade-in'er and want the latest model. My point is just because Ford prices this package ridiculously at 2K, it doesn't make a 36K Mustang really worth the 38K you'd finance on it. It'd be about the same as a $36K Mustang in value I guarantee you on a short term trade.
Are you going to cry about using a car stereo/gps for two years and not get new car stereo/gps trade in money back? You should expect to lose 1k to 1.5k after getting two years of use out of it. Things depreciate.
Old 8/18/12, 06:57 PM

Are you going to cry about using a car stereo/gps for two years and not get new car stereo/gps trade in money back? You should expect to lose 1k to 1.5k after getting two years of use out of it. Things depreciate.
Things depreciate at different rates. I firmly believe that package has a massive rate of depreciation because it's worth nothing compared to what Ford is charging for it. A computer from 2 years ago is worth a hell of a lot less than a 10" sub from 2 years ago. Why because technology progresses much much faster, and a sub is always a sub, it booms and it has INHERENT VALUE sitting in the trunk. Would it be worth $1000 more on trade? No, but is the $1000 better spent on the upgraded sound system than an overpriced technology $2000 package? I would say that's a definite. You can buy a GPS for $99, do you think GPS technology is some draw to make a 36K car worth 38K? Not a chance in the world. By that time, tablets will be about 4 times as powerful, thinner lighter and have larger screens than that $2000 screen in the car. Don't get me wrong, if you're keeping the car long term, and it has value to you, it has value to you, bottom line. But I am simply making the proposition that is has negligible value to the dealer in 2015 that you drop it in front of , if that's what you plan to do. All that's going to happen is you're going to pay about $2K more to get out of that loan.

Last edited by SeattleStang; 8/18/12 at 07:01 PM.
Old 8/18/12, 07:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In my opinion the EP option should be treated the same as aftermarket parts. You buy it because you want it and going to enjoy having it, not because you will think is going to make you car more valuable or going to recoup some of the value later on (because you wont).
Old 8/18/12, 07:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SeattleStang

Things depreciate at different rates. I firmly believe that package has a massive rate of depreciation because it's worth nothing compared to what Ford is charging for it. A computer from 2 years ago is worth a hell of a lot less than a 10" sub from 2 years ago. Why because technology progresses much much faster, and a sub is always a sub, it booms and it has INHERENT VALUE sitting in the trunk. Would it be worth $1000 more on trade? No, but is the $1000 better spent on the upgraded sound system than an overpriced technology $2000 package? I would say that's a definite. You can buy a GPS for $99, do you think GPS technology is some draw to make a 36K car worth 38K? Not a chance in the world. By that time, tablets will be about 4 times as powerful, thinner lighter and have larger screens than that $2000 screen in the car.
I'll tell you this, I love my EP and it was worth every penny and I wouldn't have enjoyed my mustang as much without it and I never use the GPS.
Old 8/18/12, 07:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

SeattleStang seems you made out you mind, don't get the EP. No point on creating a thread to try to make us change your mind.
Old 8/18/12, 07:08 PM

And by the way, I happen to think Ford is extremely smart here. I mean if they can get away with charging $2000 (or roughly 7% of the base price of a V8 car whose value is mostly derived from having that V8) for a non performance package with high depreciation that costs them maybe 1/4 of the package price, then the more people they can sell it to, the better their profit margins. I would guarantee you that that package has a much higher profit associated with it than most others so it's a good thing for Ford, which is ultimately good for all of us I guess if it spurs on more car development. But from a consumer perspective, I would highly recommend you buy an iPad or something similar which has a better screen, a massively better processor, and more usefulness outside the car for 1/4 of the price.

Last edited by SeattleStang; 8/18/12 at 07:11 PM.
Old 8/18/12, 07:32 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I love my EP. Makes interior look better. Like the auto climate. I use traffic and weather all the time. Only disappointment I have is no Album art for MP3. Duh Ford why not?

FYI I did not renew Sirius radio but did buy a 3year subscription for travel link.
Old 8/18/12, 07:37 PM
V6 Member

Trying to be psuedo scientific, I checked KBB.com for a 2011 Mustang GT Premium trade in value. Guessing 25k miles and excellent condition, the two options I compared were the "premium sound" vs the "navigation system".

Basically the navigation system came out 300 more across all conditions. Is that exactly what you'll see? Who knows. I do know it is more than just a navigation screen. I specifically ordered it because of the dual climate control, gps navigation and the large screen of course.
Old 8/18/12, 07:43 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Not sure about trade-in but EP would definitely help with a private sale. If buyer cant decide between several cars I'm sure having EP would be a tie breaker.
Old 8/18/12, 08:11 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
For me, the electronics package is a gotta have. I think it looks better, the climate control works great, I can store 2,000+ songs in it, it plays DVDs (if you're parked), dead reckoning for the GPS so if you lose satellite the maps still work, and I don't have to worry about someone breaking in to steal my portable GPS since I don't need it.

I can even plan a custom route on Mapquest, send it to my phone and then to the car.

Is it over priced? I think so. Can I afford have it as an option? Hell no. Do I have it? Hell yeah! Who cares about the trade in value of it. I use it daily and am glad I ordered it.

My only dislike is the map data. The maps it comes with seems to be outdated by several years. My Garmin has more POI's and updated roads, and those maps are at least 2 years old.

So, just get it. You'll be glad you did!
Old 8/18/12, 08:12 PM
GT Member

2000.00 is not a lot especially over 60 months (about 35.00) and If you're worried about trade in value (Jesus Christ) you can't afford it.
That's the sort of financial reasoning that has people wind up broke. People who are smart with money always consider things like resale, and some of those people have the resources to buy far more expensive cars than a Mustang (and some of them could buy and sell you and me).
Old 8/18/12, 08:19 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Novelty goat
That's the sort of financial reasoning that has people wind up broke. People who are smart with money always consider things like resale, and some of those people have the resources to buy far more expensive cars than a Mustang (and some of them could buy and sell you and me).
Old 8/18/12, 08:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Novelty goat
Anyone buying a mustang for the resale value has a pea brain and not a pot to pee in. I'm going to guess that you have to count pennies and its people with little money that worry about those things that you mentioned. They can buy you, money isn't important to me, I have more than I need.

Last edited by 11SHELBYGT500; 8/18/12 at 08:42 PM.
Old 8/18/12, 08:46 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I wonder how hard it would be to upgrade to the nav package after the car purchase? It would be interesting to see if it was a plug and play situation.
Get the parts from a wrecking yard.
Old 8/18/12, 08:51 PM
GT Member

Anyone buying a mustang for the resale value has a pea brain and not a pot to pee in. I'm going to guess that you have to count pennies and its people with little money that worry about those things that you mentioned. They can buy you, money isn't important to me, I have more than I need.
Wow, you're quite an a**hole! My house is paid for, my cars are paid for, and I am quite comfortable, but not being an idiot, I still consider the implications of all the financial decisions I make. If you don't, then you're the one with the pea brain! But on the other hand, people like you make money for people like me so please don't alter your spending habits on my account
Old 8/18/12, 08:59 PM

Is that going to be your retort to every person? That they're "poor"? 8,000 posts and a complete and utter moron. Not everybody who disagrees with your assessment that resale value is important is poor, in the sense that if you trade frequently, it is nice not to be upside down by large margins so you don;t have to pay for that extra depreciation in cash in 2 years before you can trade up. I certainly don't have to "count pennies" and I realize that. You can always tell the people who got the money later in life. They have the attitude but none of the class. Enjoy it now, with your personality, it'll be gone eventually.

Last edited by SeattleStang; 8/18/12 at 09:04 PM.

Quick Reply: My thoughts on the Electronics Package