'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

MGW and Flossy heavy weight shift knob installed

Search this Thread

Old 11/19/12, 03:09 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MGW and Flossy heavy weight shift **** installed

I installed an MGW shifter and Flossy heavy weight shift **** in my 2013 GT and have been very pleased with the results.

MGW impressions:

Excellent instructions, videos, and supplements. Was able to accomplish the installation in my driveway with jack stands. The shifter construction and materials were all top notch.

After initial installation with the factory ****, because my flossy hadn't arrived yet, I didn't miss the 2-3 shift anymore and liked the very positive feel. It did require more effort due to it being sprung, but overall supremely happy. Very minimal additional NVH, I was certain to Dynamat as much as a I could.

A week later my Flossy **** arrived and in it went.

Flossy impressions:

I got the redhead heavy weight "grip tape" model with custom engraved shift pattern and 5.0 logo on the shift ball.

It is a high quality piece and threaded right on. Feels excellent in the hand and so far no problems with extreme temperature. It did sit in direct sunlight at 80+ degrees and was no hotter Thant factory **** would have been. Their coating material seems to work as advertised.

It made the MGW perfect. Shifting effort was reduced and now going between gears is buttery smooth. Love having a weighted **** again. Highly recommend this combo.

Plus with the custom engraving, so far unless any of you copy me, it's one of a kind.

Pics:

Untitled by surfergeek, on Flickr

The **** is available at http://www.shopflossy.com - they don't list Ford as an option on their site, but after emailing with the owner and confirming for myself, the Subaru and Toyota ***** are the same factory thread as Ford. So I specified one of those on my order and emailed confirmation with my custom artwork images.

Very happy with everything.
Old 11/19/12, 04:36 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great write up. I love having a weighted shift **** as well. I got my last one from www.twmperformance.com. They have some that are heavier than yours even. I like that yours doesn't have an insert though.
Old 11/19/12, 04:55 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Stevedotmil
Great write up. I love having a weighted shift **** as well. I got my last one from www.twmperformance.com. They have some that are heavier than yours even. I like that yours doesn't have an insert though.
I had a TWM **** on a previous car and that is where I started and almost ended up before I got this Flossy ****. The thing that kept me back from getting TWM again was how hot the thing got, I loved it otherwise.

I discovered these ***** and they claim to have handled the heat problem with traditional heavyweight *****, so we shall see.

I also love the red color with my red car and the ability to have the custom engraving done. I think it looks really sharp in my Race Red GT.

Both are great ***** and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend either.
Old 12/1/12, 01:00 AM
Mach 1 Member

I'm really surprised you haven't gotten more replies. I like the **** styles that they have, are the ***** textured or smooth?

In Texas, I cannot have a metal ****. I'm thinking of getting one of these w/o custom graphics. Also, the site has been updated so Ford is an option for 70% of the *****.

Might be time to get a 401a/Boss or GT500 shifter boot.

Last edited by Mestizo; 12/1/12 at 01:05 AM.
Old 12/1/12, 02:51 AM
V6 Member

It's a textured surface. Some of their ***** have smooth surfaces as well.

I am really liking it. It's cooler here now so I can't speak to a 100 degree day, but on the few mid 80s days we had were the car was parked in the sun, heat wasn't a problem.
Old 12/1/12, 08:15 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Surfer..... I had a Stainless Abrams **** from TWM and yeah it got pretty hot in the summertime. I will have to check these guys out. Here's the ultra suede shift boot I made. It's on post #36.

https://themustangsource.com/f819/20...511648/index2/
Old 12/1/12, 10:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It looks like the squeeze bulb on a bicycle horn! Sorry, man, I had to say it. No offense intended.
Old 12/2/12, 02:32 AM
V6 Member

Surfer..... I had a Stainless Abrams **** from TWM and yeah it got pretty hot in the summertime. I will have to check these guys out. Here's the ultra suede shift boot I made. It's on post #36.

https://themustangsource.com/f819/20...511648/index2/
Nice work on the shift boot! Looks very good, even cooler that you made it yourself.
Old 12/2/12, 02:33 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Mickstang
It looks like the squeeze bulb on a bicycle horn! Sorry, man, I had to say it. No offense intended.
Ha Ha! None taken.
Old 12/2/12, 05:52 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Thanks a lot. It took me about an hour or so to do the boot. I'm thinking about doing the door panels the same theme.
Old 12/14/12, 11:40 AM

What shift boot adapter are you using to make it sit so flush or is it because of the updated shifter you installed
Old 12/15/12, 05:30 AM
V6 Member

It's because I ordered the **** configured with the Flossy shift boot retainer and the way it sits so flush is because the MGW kit provides a rubber insert that goes into the hole on the factory shift boot.
Old 12/16/12, 08:01 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is the first I've heard of a weighted shift ****. What are they and what is the benefit?
Old 12/16/12, 09:39 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Shift linkage is like a pendulum. If you out a signifigant amount of weight at the top then the effort to move the pendulum is reduced. Its an easier shifting mechanism.
Old 12/17/12, 02:35 AM
V6 Member

Shift linkage is like a pendulum. If you out a signifigant amount of weight at the top then the effort to move the pendulum is reduced. Its an easier shifting mechanism.
Exactly.

The weighted ****, carries with it more momentum and makes it easier to engage in the next gear when you are running through the shifts.

It's really amazing what a difference a nice heavy weight **** can make on any shifter. Once you have driven a car with one, you WON'T want to go back.

Last edited by Surfergeek; 12/18/12 at 02:30 AM.
Old 12/17/12, 05:04 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Surfergeek

It's really amazing what a difference a nice heavy weight **** can make on any shifter. Once you have driven a car with one, you want to go back.
I'm confused now, are you saying they are nice to have or not?
Old 12/18/12, 02:30 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Tron84
I'm confused now, are you saying they are nice to have or not?
Sorry, Typo ...

WON'T want to go back.

They are VERY NICE to have.