Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

Light weight speakers

Search this Thread

Old 12/15/11, 10:32 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Light weight speakers

Sounds silly but with today's smaller magnet speakers and composite cones there is no reason not to have a more efficient high output system that barely casts any weight.

It may be somewhat negligible but why not? Honda uses kevlar cones and neodymium magnets in their upper level stereos. And with digital amps far better today than ever you can kind of have your cake and eat it too. Even subwoofers now use the same technology.

Thoughts?
Old 12/15/11, 11:05 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The stock speakers are already extremely light.

All aftermarket speakers are heavier than the stockers.

Don't eat breakfast before you drive and you'll save more weight than is possible with a speaker change.
Old 12/15/11, 11:22 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by LEwis26
The stock speakers are already extremely light.

All aftermarket speakers are heavier than the stockers.

Don't eat breakfast before you drive and you'll save more weight than is possible with a speaker change.
While I disagree with your statement about aftermarket speakers I will admit it's negligible weight savings either way.

Funny suggestion about not eating though. I got a chuckle.
Old 12/15/11, 11:26 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Automagically
While I disagree with your statement about aftermarket speakers I will admit it's negligible weight savings either way.

Funny suggestion about not eating though. I got a chuckle.

After removing the stock speakers, I can attest that they weight practically nothing. Plastic and paper is pretty much all they are made of. My aftermarket pioneers were noticable heavier.

Even removing the trunk carpet would probably net you a bigger saving. Or the sound tube.
Old 12/15/11, 03:47 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by LEwis26

After removing the stock speakers, I can attest that they weight practically nothing. Plastic and paper is pretty much all they are made of. My aftermarket pioneers were noticable heavier.

Even removing the trunk carpet would probably net you a bigger saving. Or the sound tube.
I think I was referring to the general statement about aftermarket speakers. Which some companies do build slimmer and lighter speakers than OEMs. But it's been a while since I've taken apart a Mustang. So I can't attest to the build material. I understand that your pioneers were heavier, they are typically built that way. But some higher end components are different.

I realize this isn't worth arguing over. But I thought I'd bring up a topic for the heck of it.
Old 12/15/11, 03:54 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Man this seems like a ridiculous way to save weight. Lose the spare tire and swap batteries with an ultima. This would probably be a better out than speakers. You could wear lighter shoes and carry less keys and save just as much weight.
Old 12/16/11, 09:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Boston Acoustics makes a neodymium speaker for the door and rear shelf lighter than the stock speaker. I put a pair in my doors removed the rear deck speakers altogether. But the car just didn't have enough low end so I had to install low range or subs. I installed the Shaker 500 door panels with the stock speakers and an amp in the trunk so it weighs more now than it did before. It does sound much better. I will probably spurge on some neodymium subs for the doors.

If you want to lighten your car you don't ignore one thing and do another. Every time I hear someone suggest that I know they don't know anything about making something light. You do it all you watch every ounce. Of course it is all a big balancing act you might do something that adds weight and another that lightens it it is all a matter of what is more important. Sometimes you just shift weight around.

Last edited by 908ssp; 12/16/11 at 09:52 AM.