Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

Kicker/Shelby stereo upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 8/29/10, 11:12 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Kicker/Shelby stereo upgrade

http://www.teamshelby.com/shelbystore/docs/kicker.pdf

Sounds like a nice complete overhaul for the OEM stereo, with the amp, DSP, and sub to go as well. Anyone using this or have any feedback on the setup?
Old 8/29/10, 11:18 AM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
I'm no stereo expert, but that seems kinda high for 4 speakers, an amp, and a sub?
Old 8/29/10, 12:55 PM
GTR Member

It's a 100% replacement for the Shaker and adds the sub in the trunk. Not to mention the 4-channel amp & DSP for the speakers.
Old 9/3/10, 03:15 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Overboost

Sounds like a nice complete overhaul for the OEM stereo, with the amp, DSP, and sub to go as well. Anyone using this or have any feedback on the setup?
I'd buy it in a heartbeat if I knew it would work on an '11 w/Nav
Old 9/3/10, 03:39 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
looks nice. I bet you could build a better system on crutchfield for less.
Old 9/3/10, 04:11 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The nice thing about this system is that it's just a quick OEM replacement. From the guys at Kicker, everyone that owns a Mustang has replaced the Shaker with this. Since I used to work for Kicker I have to say it's a great step in the right direction. It's not perfect by any means but it good enough for most. We could go on for days about aftermarket stereos but this is a good upgrade. It seems pricey, but think about it, 4 speakers, 2 8" subs, a new amp, a 10" sub with light weight enclosure. Just going to an aftermarket shop and having them build you a custom enclosure will cost you nearly half the amount shown. Let alone a light weight, vacuum formed one.

I already called kicker before the 2011's were in production about doing this upgrade. It works with both the shakers and Nav system. Only deal is that the Nav system cannot use the new on board 4.1 amp. So let me check my e-mail again for you guys but I know it's not at it's very best in the Nav cars, but it is better than the Shaker 500/1000.
Old 9/9/10, 01:58 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
These speakers are OK factory replacements at best. I like that the amp is integrated, but the 8" subs will not get enough power from the factory door sub amp. And Kicker's subs...make noise...but as far as sound quality goes, they're not the best.

Basically, I would build a (more expensive) system from other components and swallow the cost. You gotta pay to play.
Old 10/3/10, 09:06 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by laserred38
These speakers are OK factory replacements at best. I like that the amp is integrated, but the 8" subs will not get enough power from the factory door sub amp. And Kicker's subs...make noise...but as far as sound quality goes, they're not the best.

Basically, I would build a (more expensive) system from other components and swallow the cost. You gotta pay to play.

Patrick,
Could you recommend some good speaker upgrades that would work with the factory Nav system, including the door subs. Not looking to change or add any other equipment. Thanks.
Old 10/3/10, 10:12 AM
SD6
Bullitt Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by SS05GT
Patrick,
Could you recommend some good speaker upgrades that would work with the factory Nav system, including the door subs. Not looking to change or add any other equipment. Thanks.
, would love to hear a recommendation from somebody knowledgeable about speakers.
Have factory Nav and looking for a speaker upgrade (don't want to add extra sub box in trunk, etc.)
Old 10/3/10, 10:54 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
just go to http://www.crutchfield.com/app/car/c...r%2fMyCar.aspx and enter your cars info and it will tell you everything that fits.

Last edited by Flagstang; 10/3/10 at 10:55 AM.
Old 10/3/10, 11:06 AM
GTR Member

I was looking for a detailed breakdown of the speaker locations with the Shaker 500. Crutchfield has changed quite a bit since I was last on there.

Patrick, I know YOU personally wouldn't recommend the Kicker/Shelby setup, but in terms of similar price or for adding just a sub enclosure (preferably a custom fit one), what would you suggest?
Old 10/3/10, 04:01 PM
SD6
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Flagstang
just go to http://www.crutchfield.com/app/car/c...r%2fMyCar.aspx and enter your cars info and it will tell you everything that fits.
Thanks, tried that but confused me even more.

Eg. Putting in my info came up with this as my car

2011 Ford Mustang Convertible With Shaker 500 system;

with Navigation system

• Factory Stereo Installed [change]
Looking at the first "speakers & subwoofers" category:
it shows 62 different items that would fit - just for the front door speakers.

Then there's 230 items under component subwoofers.

I'm a r-tard when it comes to car stereos, so not sure what would be a "decent" upgrade.
Hopefully there's some audiophiles out there who can chime in?
Old 10/3/10, 09:40 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
I believe the factory speakers are 2ohm. Finding 2ohm speakers (which would get the best performance out of the factory amp) are next to impossible. Unfortunately, auto manufacturers are trying to catch up to the aftermarket in some ways, such as the audio engineers tuning the system to what they think sounds good, but the engineers are on a limited budget. They have to tune the system with the speakers that Ford's beancounters say they can afford to put in a Mustang. What this means is, the factory EQ settings and DSP (processing) are set up for the factory cheap speakers.

I've said this before, but it isn't as simple as just swapping speakers anymore. You may just happen to get lucky with a speaker choice working well with the factory amps and tuning, but more often than not it won't sound much better than stock because of the factory tuning. A member on here, Adam, said he swapped out the stock 5x7 plates for Pioneer TS 5x7 coaxials and they sounded better. I know this speaker line is very good for the price point. Those may work for you guys. Now for the door subs, I don't remember the resistance of the factory subs off the top of my head (and I'm posting this from my phone) but I know I've made recommendation before, so if you do a search of my posts and find all my audio posts, they will be there.

Steve, as far as a custom made box for the 2010+, I've recommended this before as well, but you can't beat the JL Stealthbox. It's not even a bad price, as far as JL is concerned. You'd need a small amp to power it, and JL has you covered there.
Old 10/13/10, 11:33 AM
Bullitt Member

Replacing the factory 5x7 speakers are easy enough, and IMHO a worthy upgrade as far as sound quality goes. The factory speakers lack the upper mids and highs that I like in my music.
When it comes to addressing the factory subs, there are a couple of things not mentioned here. First, and most importantly is that there is a sealed enclosure for the subs to mount into. Every speaker requires a particular volume of air in the enclosure to work effectively. The factory setup is done in such a way to take advantage of the enclosure volume available. Just about any aftermarket subwoofer will need more volume in the enclosure to sound "right." That has a lot to so with non-OEM subs not sounding very good in the door enclosures. The other problem, as was already mentioned is the impedance of the speakers themselves. If the factory speakers are in fact 2-ohm speakers, when you use a 4-ohm (typical impedance) sub, they will be powered with 1/2 the wattage because the amp will only see 1/2 the load.
Old 11/9/10, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Overboost

I have a 2006 Mustang Stampede Edition with this upgrade installed and I absolutely LOVE it. Several considerations went into my decision.

1) I wanted a better system
2) I wanted to retain the Shaker head unit
3) I didn't want to physically change the car (no cutting/modifying speaker mounts/wiring to fit different speakers)
4) I drive the car daily but I also show it so the install must be CLEAN
5) Cost

I have an installer that I trust so I gave him the opportunity to put together a system that he thought would be better than the Shelby upgrade and gave him my bottom line for the budget. He couldn't do it. Everything that he came up with exceeded the cost of the Shelby or was of less quality (in my mind) than this.

I have a post on my blog of a video I took and put on YouTube (taken with my iPhone inside the car) that gives you an idea of how this system sounds. http://rarepony.blogspot.com Hearing is everything. That is how I was sold on this upgrade... I saw the Kicker car at the Yellow Rose Classic show in Fort Worth, TX in 2009 and had the opportunity to test it out. I was hooked.

Hope you get the answers you want and need!

- Trinity
Old 11/16/10, 04:48 AM
GTR Member

I've started to identify the parts of this "kit" and found just how much they want for it all, and how big of a ripoff it really is. Here's what I've got so far:

6x8s: Kicker KS680s - found at Crutchfield for $65 per pair
http://www.crutchfield.com/s_2068KS6...680.html?tp=92

8" Sub: Kicker Comp VT - found at Sonic Electronix for $75 each
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...-10CVT84-.html

So, to replace those and DIY install, you're looking at right around $300. Granted, you don't have the amp or enclosure, but you're over $1000 ahead of the $1649 kit. All you'd need to make a kit similar is a 4-channel amp and a sub & enclosure of your liking.

Also found the ability to buy the enclosure and amp separately:
http://www.shelbystore.com/category-s/61.htm

Last edited by Overboost; 11/16/10 at 04:57 AM.
Old 11/25/10, 11:30 AM
Bullitt Member

I have this on the way for my 2011 5.0 & had it in my 08 Saleen & IMHO its first class all the way.