'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

Installing OEM 3 stage heated and cooled seats

Search this Thread

Old 9/13/20 | 08:25 PM
Legacy TMS Member

OK, I tried to change the pinouts, but it did not change anything. Not sure where to go from here. It is definelty that the blend doors are not operating as they should.

Maybe someone sees something I have missed?
Old 9/14/20 | 06:04 AM
V6 Member

Hi Jim. Thank you for being the pioneer and for the comprehensive update on your progress. Given the wiring that goes to the seats is part of the main body harness do you believe a one-off to them would be viable? If we can run it down the console tunnel it should be fine, the concern for me would be the blend door event you described.

If altering all of those pins had zero effect that implies the module is interpreting the signal strength and not the location, yes? Given the blower housing and motors are different on the Taurus I am not certain how that can be fixed...

For the seats, I would imagine it would be the same module that controls the blower motors that controls the heat/cool seat module and if wired incorrectly could cause a short. There seems to be ample F150 threads on how Ford placed too much voltage on a single pin.

I still believe it is possible but may require the cannibalization of a Taurus MBH (I have looked for about a month earlier in the year and was unable to find a single yard in North America that will to remove one from an SHO) and a complete seat to see how the Mustang interprets that communication?

Does that seem excessive or overly cautious?
Old 9/14/20 | 07:54 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Hi Jim. Thank you for being the pioneer and for the comprehensive update on your progress. Given the wiring that goes to the seats is part of the main body harness do you believe a one-off to them would be viable? If we can run it down the console tunnel it should be fine, the concern for me would be the blend door event you described.

If altering all of those pins had zero effect that implies the module is interpreting the signal strength and not the location, yes? Given the blower housing and motors are different on the Taurus I am not certain how that can be fixed...

Yeah, not sure where to go from here. There needs to be a custom module (arduino?) to interpret the signals?

For the seats, I would imagine it would be the same module that controls the blower motors that controls the heat/cool seat module and if wired incorrectly could cause a short. There seems to be ample F150 threads on how Ford placed too much voltage on a single pin.

Yes, so increasing the wire guage and using their mod/fix should do the trick

I still believe it is possible but may require the cannibalization of a Taurus MBH (I have looked for about a month earlier in the year and was unable to find a single yard in North America that will to remove one from an SHO) and a complete seat to see how the Mustang interprets that communication?

I think that the heated/cooled seats will work fine. It is just the the messed up blend doors not opening to the desired selection. Oh, and recirculate doesn't work either.

Does that seem excessive or overly cautious?
Old 9/17/20 | 07:52 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Any of you know anyone that has the software to sniff out CANbus signals?
Old 9/26/20 | 10:12 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Looks like the Ford module was used in more than just Fords.

Old 10/19/20 | 09:37 AM
Mach 1 Member

Hi Jim,

i assume the door positions for defrost/vent/floor are different in both cars. Hence the issue with even swapping the pins.

Taurus HVAC

Mustang HVAC

There is also this in the manual for replacing the acutator:
Remove the 3 defrost/panel/floor mode door actuator screws.

1. Remove the defrost/panel/floor mode door actuator.
  2. To install, reverse the removal procedure.
  3. NOTE: The purpose of the module actuator position calibration is to allow the HVAC module to reinitialize and calibrate the actuator stop points. To carry out calibration, carry out the following steps.
Remove Smart Junction Box (SJB) fuse 15 for at least one minute.

1. NOTE: When the ignition switch is switched to the ON position, the HVAC module will initialize and calibrate the actuators. Calibration of the actuators will take approximately 30 seconds.

Last edited by LEXiiON; 10/19/20 at 09:51 AM.
Old 10/19/20 | 09:55 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Thanks Alex. Another possible lead to follow.
Old 10/19/20 | 10:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by jim010
Thanks Alex. Another possible lead to follow.
Also when I compare the location of both, the Mustang one is on the passenger side (next to the airbag) the Taurus one is on the driver side (next to the IPC). That could validate the different motor positions between the two cars.

Alex
Old 2/15/21 | 11:23 AM
V6 Member

@jim010 Hi Jim. Have you been able to make in progress since October or did you revert the system to OEM to get your HVAC blends to work properly again?
Old 2/24/21 | 11:32 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I haven't touched it, but I am going to revert back. I will look at some suggestions posted here,but this may now be above my abilities without building a computer module to convert signals.
Old 3/27/21 | 12:21 PM
Legacy TMS Member

So anyone able to keep this alive with me?
Old 3/31/21 | 11:39 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Tried the calibration Lexiion posted, but didn't solve the issue. I swapped the pins back. Still haven't removed the module yet, as I'm still trying to think this through.

Looks like the Mustang has a plug that is for 'Floor Mode Door Actuator'. This plug doesn't exist on the Taurus. It connects to pins 22 and 23 on the HVAC module, but these are unused on the Taurus module.

Last edited by jim010; 3/31/21 at 12:23 PM.
The following users liked this post:
cholmes1 (4/11/21)
Old 4/11/21 | 12:21 PM
V6 Member

I would love to figure this out with you, im sure its doable but idk might just settle with heated seats. I also would be more interested if we could get a sync 3 upgrade to work right for our cars
Old 4/18/21 | 06:08 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I have not looked into Sync 3 at all.

But as the weather gets better, I may look at disassembling the Taurus HVAC module and looking to see how the circuitry is integratged with the rest of the module. If it isn't then there is a chance I may be able to get it to work.
Old 5/1/21 | 12:17 PM
V6 Member

Curious if anyone has blank non-heated/cooled buttons they would like to sell? Not interested in the complete HVAC panel.
Normally, I would place this in the marketplace, but we are a very specific group who can more easily understand the request.
I am still very keen in seeing this potential option through but in the interim the heated and cooled buttons only seems to cause confusion for passengers and at shows

PM if available and undamaged
Old 5/15/21 | 08:03 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by cholmes1
Curious if anyone has blank non-heated/cooled buttons they would like to sell? Not interested in the complete HVAC panel.
Normally, I would place this in the marketplace, but we are a very specific group who can more easily understand the request.
I am still very keen in seeing this potential option through but in the interim the heated and cooled buttons only seems to cause confusion for passengers and at shows

PM if available and undamaged
I will have the whole panel as I am waiting on a new one to come that has the heated seat buttons as I am gonna attempt to add the oem heated seats
Old 7/12/21 | 02:03 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I have an idea to try.

I put the old HVAC module back in, but I had a thought. Only the wires 14 and 15 from the brown plug on the Taurus HVAC modue are used for sending signals for hte seats. What if I keep the Mustang HVAC module, but still use the Taurus one but only using pins 14 and 15 which get connected to wires 2 and 3 from the switch module and goes to the seat module?

The following users liked this post:
cholmes1 (7/28/21)
Old 7/28/21 | 02:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

That might work. worth a try.
LEXiiON
Old 5/21/22 | 03:06 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by jim010
I have an idea to try.

I put the old HVAC module back in, but I had a thought. Only the wires 14 and 15 from the brown plug on the Taurus HVAC modue are used for sending signals for hte seats. What if I keep the Mustang HVAC module, but still use the Taurus one but only using pins 14 and 15 which get connected to wires 2 and 3 from the switch module and goes to the seat module?

Hi Jim,

What we’re the results of this effort?
Old 6/21/22 | 09:07 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Forgive me for not checking in her more often. I have been focusing on a different car and this has been put on the back burner. I still have the new buttons installed, though.

Has anyone else moved on this?

Quick Reply: Installing OEM 3 stage heated and cooled seats