Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

Having some issues with Sub and Amp install

Search this Thread

Old 11/17/12, 09:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having some issues with Sub and Amp install

Trying to install an Alpine MRP-M500 and a 12" Type-R sub.
I have the power, remote and ground wires all setup and working correctly, however I am having issues with the speaker input. I tapped for the signal at output for the door sub amplifier (like outlined in this install: http://www.evilcartman.com/shaker-50...b-install.html[1] ). I initially tried to use the speaker level inputs on the amp, but they were not working, so I tried to hook it up to a LOC and try it with the RCA inputs and it still would not work. I double checked all the connections and all the power lines were correct. I then checked the signal wires and realized I tapped the wrong wire at first (tapped brown/blue rather than blue/brown). Tried it again, still nothing. Now I decided to troubleshoot the signal wires by plugging the RCA's into a powered home stereo sub. One RCA works, the other doesn't. I checked all the taps and they all look good and I can't think of anything else that would interfere with the signal from just the one side.
The sub and amp are both in working condition (amp is brand new, sub is used, but I listened to it before I bought it).

Any ideas?
Old 11/18/12, 08:50 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's pretty difficult to troubleshoot over the internet. Sounds like you're using the stock head unit, in which case you most likely have a bad connection or wrong wire going from the head unit to the LOC, or the wire is going into the wrong place at the LOC.

I would obviously start with getting a working RCA cable, though, since you know that is bad and you can pick one up at Wal Mart for $10.

You have to troubleshoot it in stages. Do you have a multimeter? If not, pick one up when you get the RCA, then test your signal at each point in the relay (head unit to LOC, LOC to amp, amp to subwoofer). Once you track down which point has the problem, you can start to look at solutions.
Old 11/18/12, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by zbrewha863
That's pretty difficult to troubleshoot over the internet. Sounds like you're using the stock head unit, in which case you most likely have a bad connection or wrong wire going from the head unit to the LOC, or the wire is going into the wrong place at the LOC.

I would obviously start with getting a working RCA cable, though, since you know that is bad and you can pick one up at Wal Mart for $10.

You have to troubleshoot it in stages. Do you have a multimeter? If not, pick one up when you get the RCA, then test your signal at each point in the relay (head unit to LOC, LOC to amp, amp to subwoofer). Once you track down which point has the problem, you can start to look at solutions.
I have two working RCAs that I have been using. I had a bad connection at the LOC for one of the inputs. I fixed that, so now I get a good signal from both (tested it out on a powered sub like before), however I stil get nothing from my amp. I'm thinking the issue has to do with the amp now. I'm going to borrow a buddy's and see if it all works.

Thanks!
Old 11/19/12, 08:13 AM
V6 Member

The best thing to do, is invest $12 (can be cheaper) in a Digital MultiMeter (DMM). This comes in handy anytime you are dealing with electronics (sometimes with home electrical too). Once you have this, you can tap the leads to the output on the amp and see if there is a signal coming off of it, if not, verify the input by tapping the leads to the input line. From here, if your getting input and not output, your amp is bad (or not running). So then you can test the signal line, if that is good, then you need to return the amp for a new one.

Does the amp have any LEDs by chance? In my old car I had a Kenwood amp with a blue LED to indicate when the amp was on.

DMM- you can get as fancy with these as you like, but here is a very simple and inexpensive one:
Amazon.com: HDE Digital Multimeter AC DC Power Tester: Automotive Amazon.com: HDE Digital Multimeter AC DC Power Tester: Automotive