Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

GT Premium Front Speakers Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12/4/13, 05:08 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm ordering speakers and brackets today! This thread has sold me.
Old 12/4/13, 08:02 AM
GT Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by RubyRedMCA_Beast
I'm ordering speakers and brackets today! This thread has sold me.
You won't regret it!
Old 12/5/13, 10:17 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Just ordered a Pair of the Pioneer TS-D6802R, the Brackets, and the Harness along with some Dynomat to install on my 2014 GT Premium....

Last edited by narphenal; 12/5/13 at 12:51 PM.
Old 12/13/13, 11:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by narphenal
Just ordered a Pair of the Pioneer TS-D6802R, the Brackets, and the Harness along with some Dynomat to install on my 2014 GT Premium....
Just finished the installation, and all I can say is wow. For ~$100 or so, this is absolutely amazing, and extremely simple and quick to do. If you are on the fence about it, go out and buy them right now!
Old 9/9/14, 05:27 AM

I finished up my installation in my 14 GT Premium. Everything went smoothly, no hiccups. Thank you Varilux for your detailed guide, it helped me do it. Only took me about 1 hour total.
Old 9/10/14, 02:57 AM
GT Member

Sorry to seem dumb, but went to get the Pio TS-D6802R from amazon.com and something pops up that says they don't fit my 2013 Mustang (V6 Premium). What's up with that? They do fit the '13 doors, right? Do they say they "don't fit" because they don't without the brackets?

Secondly, how the hell'd they know that's what I have, I've never bought or looked for anything car-related on amazon. They must have gobbled my info from another car site (here?) or something; I was also looking for a CAI last year from a U.S. supplier's site (K&N, never did it).

Last edited by cfraser; 9/10/14 at 03:01 AM.
Old 9/10/14, 04:28 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Amazon does that for me now as well.
1) I must have Input "MyCar" in the search criteria a few months ago...
2) or their tracking our sites with cookies. Probably both

Yes those speakers should fit with the brackets. Amazon says they won't but you just need the bracket from a 2010 mustang
Old 9/10/14, 01:44 PM
GT Member

^ So, you got any snow yet there in my home town?

So those brackets mentioned early in the thread here are actually from a 2010 Mustang? Where'd you get yours, if you got some? I'm almost afraid to ask the price for any plastic parts at my local Ford dealer, "they" charge more for a flimsy piece of plastic than a solid chunk of metal it seems... Yeah, I am cheap.

It seems I'm extremely unwilling and resistant to put any $$ into this audio system because stock (Shaker 500) is so darn cheap-looking and sounds so awful. The worst I've ever heard actually, but I haven't heard 'em all. Those Pio speakers look decent for not much $$. If they're OK for me, then maybe I'll put them in the rear and upgrade the fronts, or get another set for the rear (more likely).

I just finished removing a decent after-market audio system from a 25 year old Ford (it's been in the car since '94 lol) and I gotta say it's light years ahead in quality compared to what's in the Mustang. Even the original/stock system from that low-buck '91 car is far better than the "upgraded" Mustang Shaker, you'd think Ford could have done better there in 20-odd years, not worse considering how electronics have gone. Shameful really.

Mustang has a long way to go to get their interiors and fittings up to world snuff, that's where they're obviously lagging compared to much cheaper cars, and they could start at the audio since just about everybody will notice that. When they do stuff crap "audio systems" in their cars, they should at least make it easy to replace the rubbish with something half-decent, but oh no, they make it awkward and inflexible. I bet most here didn't know they could make speakers as bad as the ones in the rear deck, I'm pretty sure a normal person can't buy any that bad in that size i.e. you need to buy "millions" to get them to make such junk, that nobody would ever actually choose to buy. Rant over. I'm an "audio guy" BTW.
Old 9/11/14, 06:08 AM
Bullitt Member

Hey Craig sorry for the late reply.

We had some snow Monday, and Calgary recorded 25 cms yesterday in some places? I hate winter.

I tried to find the product number for the adapters needs but I couldn't find them at the moment. I heard they are about $50 a piece from the ford dealer, but amazon or eBay will have adapters for cheap.
Also, some popular speaker brands come with adapter plates so that's what I'm hoping happens when I order my speakers.

I'm in the market for a new head unit but I'm so overwhelmed it's making my head spin. I've never even used a double din before!!

On the plus side I received my fiberglass sub box today from a company called Atrend. Good quality! Good pricing as well. Too bad amazon shipped me the box for a Toyota scion instead of a mustang. Oh well, I mounted it anyway and the new one is on it's way so I'll have an extra to sell.

The bass is good and crisp, but doesn't hit the lower notes as well as my ported box did.
Might switch back to ported over the winter.
Old 9/11/14, 12:10 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
i am changing my stock as well. awesome thread!!!
Old 9/11/14, 01:42 PM
GT Member

These are the part numbers you're looking for.

Ford part nbrs for the spacers are;
4R3Z18B947AA - Right Side Door
4R3Z18B947BA - Left Side (Driver) Door
Less than $30 shipped From Tousley Ford

I got these numbers from another forum. I had to get these for my mustang.
Old 9/11/14, 03:49 PM
V6 Member

This^

Adapters worked great in my 2014 Premium. Got them from Tousley.

I put in the Pioneer's in the front - with the stock Shaker 500 - and it sounded much better. I then put in a DNN991HD and it sounds very, very, very good - even with stock amp (the "adjustability" on the sound is incredible).

Now that it is cooling down bit down here - planning to put the Pioneers in the rear as well. Should be a fun project judging by some of the guides (not!).
Old 9/11/14, 04:07 PM
GT Member

Installing the rear speakers isn't as bad as it seems, it's just time consuming. There are lots of threads and a youtube video out there demonstrating this. Take your time and you'll be glad you did.
Old 9/11/14, 05:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 2014DIB
This^ Adapters worked great in my 2014 Premium. Got them from Tousley. I put in the Pioneer's in the front - with the stock Shaker 500 - and it sounded much better. I then put in a DNN991HD and it sounds very, very, very good - even with stock amp (the "adjustability" on the sound is incredible). Now that it is cooling down bit down here - planning to put the Pioneers in the rear as well. Should be a fun project judging by some of the guides (not!).
Dnn991HD. I'm keeping an eye out on amazon for some decent headunits...
But this thing is; I don't know what I want?
I don't NEED nav because I have an iphone. I don't NEED a backup cam because I have my mirrors. For example the raxiom unit comes with all that, and it's pretty cheap price-wise so that's an option.
The kenwoods come with nav too and the option for a cam. I know I can get a double din without nav or a cam to play DVDs... But are they're any units even worthwhile or should I just get one like the Dnn991?
Old 9/11/14, 07:52 PM
Bullitt Member

I have a 14 GT Premium. I just ordered the spacers from Tousley Ford. Do I also need the spacer in the rear? Is this the wiring harness I need to get from Crutchfield? Do I need this harness for the front and the rear?

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1207105...er-reviews-tab

I will also be getting the Pioneer TSD6802R for the front. Will this same speaker fit the rear?

Last edited by dohc97; 9/12/14 at 04:08 AM.
Old 9/12/14, 05:34 PM
V6 Member

It is my understanding that you do not need the adapters for the rear - only the front - due to the speaker design Ford used for the fronts in the 2013/2014 Premium (tweeter is separate from mid).

I also believe the same Pioneer's will fit in the back - I am sure hoping so since I already bought another set for the back - and plan to install this weekend if it cools off a bit!

I also used the Crutchfield adapters - as various posts indicate they have the correct polarity layout - versus those from Amazon and others. They will work for front and back and save you from having to cut and solder wires. Not required - but do make it easier. Work of advise - make sure when you connect them to the factory connector - that you push it together firmly and hear the click. On my first round - I thought the left connector was seated - and then after driving a few days - the left side started cutting out. Opened the door panel back up - and turned out I did not have it engaged. Pushed a littler firmer and heard the click - has been good since!

I would say you are on the right track.
Old 9/12/14, 06:44 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 550 Likes on 356 Posts
Originally Posted by dohc97
I have a 14 GT Premium. I just ordered the spacers from Tousley Ford. Do I also need the spacer in the rear? Is this the wiring harness I need to get from Crutchfield? Do I need this harness for the front and the rear?

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1207105...er-reviews-tab

I will also be getting the Pioneer TSD6802R for the front. Will this same speaker fit the rear?
The rear is just a 5X7.
Stock is on top and the JBL I replaced it with
Old 9/12/14, 06:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 2014DIB
It is my understanding that you do not need the adapters for the rear - only the front - due to the speaker design Ford used for the fronts in the 2013/2014 Premium (tweeter is separate from mid).

I also believe the same Pioneer's will fit in the back - I am sure hoping so since I already bought another set for the back - and plan to install this weekend if it cools off a bit!

I also used the Crutchfield adapters - as various posts indicate they have the correct polarity layout - versus those from Amazon and others. They will work for front and back and save you from having to cut and solder wires. Not required - but do make it easier. Work of advise - make sure when you connect them to the factory connector - that you push it together firmly and hear the click. On my first round - I thought the left connector was seated - and then after driving a few days - the left side started cutting out. Opened the door panel back up - and turned out I did not have it engaged. Pushed a littler firmer and heard the click - has been good since!

I would say you are on the right track.
Is that the correct Crutchfield adapter I have chosen?
Old 9/14/14, 04:07 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by dohc97
Is that the correct Crutchfield adapter I have chosen?
Yes - that is the one I purchased for both the front and the rear. Works on both.
Old 9/16/14, 08:31 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Moejoe_989
Dnn991HD. I'm keeping an eye out on amazon for some decent headunits...
But this thing is; I don't know what I want?
I don't NEED nav because I have an iphone. I don't NEED a backup cam because I have my mirrors. For example the raxiom unit comes with all that, and it's pretty cheap price-wise so that's an option.
The kenwoods come with nav too and the option for a cam. I know I can get a double din without nav or a cam to play DVDs... But are they're any units even worthwhile or should I just get one like the Dnn991?
You could look at the DDX5901 which is nice Kenwood 2DIN, non navi unit.

Quick Reply: GT Premium Front Speakers Replacement