Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

Disable the door/key in ignition chime on my 2013

Search this Thread

Old 7/13/12, 05:15 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Disable the door/key in ignition chime on my 2013

I saw this thread https://themustangsource.com/f726/di...11-yes-487576/

from a guy who explains how to disable the chime on a 2011 and he mentions a blue wire with gray stripes, but there is none on my 2013. He also mentions that on previous models the wire was black and purple and there is a black/purple wire in my connector. Question is: Did someone tried disabling the chime and is it the black/purple wire? Anyone knows where I can find the wiring diagram? It is not in the owners manual for sure.

Now you will tell me, why dont you try to disconnect the black/purple wire, run tests and see what happen? It bring me to my last question, cause I was not able to disengage the wire. The guy of the 2011 says "With a flash light aimed inside the plug opening, release the tiny plastic tab that hold the wire terminal in the connector with a small pick)
Push wire out the back of the connector",
but I was not able to find the tiny plastic tab. Can someone draw me a picture ( for dummies) where I could find this tiny release tab?

Thanks
Old 7/13/12, 07:38 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 777 Likes on 567 Posts
Just smash the chime no need to cut / unplug wire
Old 7/13/12, 09:48 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Glenn
Wow Glenn. You have made nearly 9000 posts on this forum and all you can say to help me is "smash the chime ? Are your 8999 other posts that crappy? Geez...

Seriously, anyone here knows about the wire settings in the 2013 ?
Old 7/13/12, 09:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Hey guys, I was able to disconnect the blue-gray wire, but the chime was still working... I really need help on this...
Old 7/13/12, 09:29 PM
GTR Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
In my 05 I was able to read the manual and go through a sequence of the key in the ignition and buckling/unbuckling the seat belts to disable my chime? Is that a possibility for you?
Old 7/13/12, 10:13 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 777 Likes on 567 Posts
Sorry!! But thats what I would do.... well maybe not smash it..... I would find it and unplug it.
Old 7/14/12, 04:41 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SilverSkoundrel
In my 05 I was able to read the manual and go through a sequence of the key in the ignition and buckling/unbuckling the seat belts to disable my chime? Is that a possibility for you?
He's talking about the chime for the door being open with the key in the accessory position, not the seatbelt chime.

I'm going to try this, I'll let you know if I find anything out.
Old 7/14/12, 05:22 PM
Bullitt Member

Ok so I just unplugged the blue/grey wire and the only thing that changed is that there is no chime with the key in the ignition in the OFF position. The chime still chimes when the key is in the accessory position with the door open.
Going back and reading the original post that you provided the link to, it isn't very clear if he says that it disables it in the accessory position
I was hoping that was the case since the radio can't be turned on with the key off anyways so I don't really see the point of having it disabled when the key is in the off position. Wouldn't you just remove the key if you wanted it to stop dinging?
Old 7/16/12, 09:11 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Tron84
Ok so I just unplugged the blue/grey wire and the only thing that changed is that there is no chime with the key in the ignition in the OFF position. The chime still chimes when the key is in the accessory position with the door open.
Going back and reading the original post that you provided the link to, it isn't very clear if he says that it disables it in the accessory position
I was hoping that was the case since the radio can't be turned on with the key off anyways so I don't really see the point of having it disabled when the key is in the off position. Wouldn't you just remove the key if you wanted it to stop dinging?
thanks tron84. I would really appreciate if you could find out...

The same thing happened when I unplugged the blue/gray wire and yes the point is to disable the ringing when the key is in the "Accessory" position.

It's not that much annoying for those who don't care, but IMO it just sounds like I am in a Nissan Sentra when I hear this noise.

I think the ringer is located behind right behind the speedometer gauge, but I would prefer not dismantling the whole dashboard for this. There must be a wire somewhere to disconnect...
Old 7/16/12, 09:23 AM
FR500 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Isnt there an option for that in the car settings?
Old 7/17/12, 01:49 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by CCTking
Isnt there an option for that in the car settings?
If you find out let me know. There must be a way...
Old 7/17/12, 02:11 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Glenn
Originally Posted by Kotenukimen
Wow Glenn. You have made nearly 9000 posts on this forum and all you can say to help me is "smash the chime ? Are your 8999 other posts that crappy? Geez...

Seriously, anyone here knows about the wire settings in the 2013 ?
Well Glenn's way would have been fixed by now. But you're still trying to figure it out aren't you???

You rock Glenn!
Old 7/18/12, 02:00 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
Well Glenn's way would have been fixed by now. But you're still trying to figure it out aren't you???

You rock Glenn!
Anyone, tell me where the ringer is located and I will smash it.

I was trying the gentle way, but I guess what they say... if you can't live with it, destroy it!
Old 7/24/12, 07:42 PM

SOLUTION: Turn the key to the ON position

I too tried and failed with the blue/gray wire. I did though discover if you just turn the key a little further, to the on position, the chime will stop in several seconds. Only potential downside I see is your fan running for an extended period of time could drain my battery, so I just turn the climate control off. Besides the fuel pump charging up I don't believe there's any other differences between the two that could drain the battery. I put my blue/gray wire back.