Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

Cutting interior trim

Search this Thread

Old 2/10/15, 09:36 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cutting interior trim

I have installed the Silverhorse racing louvers and I am now at the part where I must trim down the interior plastic parts. It is recommended I use a jig saw but I am nervous about cutting them. Any advice on how to make this easier would be appreciated.
Old 2/10/15, 10:44 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by HotFrosty
I have installed the Silverhorse racing louvers and I am now at the part where I must trim down the interior plastic parts. It is recommended I use a jig saw but I am nervous about cutting them. Any advice on how to make this easier would be appreciated.
Another member used a utility knife to cut his bumper for the quad GT500 valance install - I would think the interior plastic is thinner than the bumper urethane, so you might try that. If not, dremel.
Old 2/11/15, 06:11 AM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
How thick or fragile is the material? Whenever I cut plastic I prefer to carefully score the part and then snap it. It makes for a straighter, cleaner edge.
Old 2/11/15, 12:58 PM
GT Member

It's pretty thick stuff. I can measure it when I get home.
Old 2/11/15, 01:03 PM
Cobra Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I would think the interior plastics are more rigid than the exterior plastics, and harder to cut with a utility knife. Maybe you could use a Dremel?
Old 2/11/15, 01:06 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,153 Likes on 841 Posts
I used a dremel for the rear bumper when I did the quad exhaust mod. It worked well using a wheel designed for plastic. I did have to smooth the edge after cutting a bit, but that was easy to do.
Old 2/11/15, 01:39 PM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have cut panels on other vehicles for stereo installs, and I would definitely use a dremel, or even an air-powered cutting wheel (like a big dremel), if you have a compressor.

A jigsaw would work, but I think would be VERY hard to manage on a curved and three-dimensional part - you would have to clamp the panel in some sort of vice in order to cut it precisely, I would think. The dremel or cut-off wheel will be much easier to manipulate, although you will potentially sling melted plastic on yourself (been there... LOL)

No matter what - it will be important to mark the cut lines very carefully, and very well, so you can see them while using the tools. My advice, do not use tape to mark, as it may not stick well, especially when you start cutting. A pencil may be easier to see than a sharpie, and a trick that I have tried in the past - if you are marking and cutting on the back-side (that will not show), you can spritz a little primer or white paint on it, just enough to have something you can write on that will show up a pencil line or sharpie line - better than the bare plastic.

Also, get some sandpaper, or a file, so you can smooth the edge - do not try to do that with the dremel or cut-off wheel. Wrap the sandpaper on a paint paddle, or small/flat wood block of some sort.

Last edited by Springer200; 2/11/15 at 01:41 PM.
Old 2/12/15, 12:51 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Springer200
... The dremel or cut-off wheel will be much easier to manipulate, although you will potentially sling melted plastic on yourself (been there... LOL) No matter what - it will be important to mark the cut lines very carefully, and very well, so you can see them while using the tools. My advice, do not use tape to mark, as it may not stick well, especially when you start cutting. A pencil may be easier to see than a sharpie, and a trick that I have tried in the past - if you are marking and cutting on the back-side (that will not show), you can spritz a little primer or white paint on it, just enough to have something you can write on that will show up a pencil line or sharpie line - better than the bare plastic. Also, get some sandpaper, or a file, so you can smooth the edge - do not try to do that with the dremel or cut-off wheel. Wrap the sandpaper on a paint paddle, or small/flat wood block of some sort.
Great advice! I have found that a pencil works best. I'm going to try the Dremel so I have better control of the speed. I think it will take awhile to get through the almost 3/16 plastic. But I will just do one panel at a time.
Old 2/12/15, 12:56 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

You'll be surprised how fast that dremel will get through that plastic. Just go slow and careful. And yes, that melted plastic is HOT.
Old 2/18/15, 05:02 PM
GT Member

I finally started cutting using a Dremel with a quick lock bit and wheels made for plastic. So far so good, actually really good. The 2 parts I was most worried about are cat and installed. Now for the straight flat bits and the install of those.
Old 2/18/15, 06:49 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Frosty, that is the exact setup I used to cut my bumper for the quad exhaust. I'm glad it's working out for you.
Old 2/24/15, 08:28 PM
GT Member

Alright. Everything is back in... Sort of. For some reason I can't get the passengers side door plate clips won't seat correctly. But it's drivable. If there wasn't so much snow on the roads.
Old 2/24/15, 09:09 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did the clips separate from the sill plate? I know the metal clips have a tendency to pull off the will plate and not hold in correct. What I had to do with was pry the metal pieces out of the body and reattach it to the sill plate to get it to hold in place. Do you have any photos of what you had to trim, or what it looks like from the inside?
Old 2/25/15, 02:58 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by clucas
Did the clips separate from the sill plate? I know the metal clips have a tendency to pull off the will plate and not hold in correct. What I had to do with was pry the metal pieces out of the body and reattach it to the sill plate to get it to hold in place. Do you have any photos of what you had to trim, or what it looks like from the inside?
AH! I think you are right! I will look again but I bet that's it. Thank you!
Old 2/27/15, 08:01 AM

I see its too late but FYI they make silver and gold sharpies that will write on dark surfaces.
Old 2/28/15, 12:17 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Raydin_27
I see its too late but FYI they make silver and gold sharpies that will write on dark surfaces.
Good advice! The next person reading this will appreciate the info. A pencil worked very well for me.