Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

Changing Interior? -Stone to Red and Black.

Search this Thread

Old 12/13/10, 09:39 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changing Interior? -Stone to Red and Black.

Okay, I've been wanting to change my interior since I got my car. It was given to me as a suprise, so I had no choice in colors or interiors. I do like the stone interior, just with a different exterior. In my opinion I think it clashes because it's not light enough to be white but it's not dark enough to be tan. I've been looking at black panels for the interior that surround the doors and backseats, along with the rear window carpet. But it's rather pricey. I realize it would be expensive to replace every stone piece with a black piece. But, I was looking at my buddies '10 GT with red interior and it has like a cashmere/tanish stripe right down the middle of the seats. I called my local Ford dealership and they said they could order me the the red seat covers and install them for around $600 (front and back). Now, with that being said, do you think I should just get the red seat covers? or Go all the way and get the black panels too?

-I've got a White 2010 V6 Premium, btw.
Old 12/13/10, 09:50 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is always the dye job. They make some pretty good interior dyes now, lots less expensive.

I'm surprised the red leather seat upholstery was quoted that cheap installed at the dealer.
Old 12/13/10, 10:13 PM
GT Member

Dyes? Like to dye the plastic?

And I was extremely surprised, also. Considering it's leather and leather isn't cheap. But, then again, my dad is friends with just about everyone up there, so maybe that has something to do with it.
Old 12/13/10, 11:38 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are dyes for the plastic and vinyl and for leather.
Old 12/14/10, 05:04 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 547 Likes on 355 Posts
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
And Carpet
Old 12/14/10, 08:21 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
Do the dyes turn out good? My dad said the only way I could dye it is if it's done professionally, would you know about how much it would cost to dye it?
Old 2/9/11, 02:29 PM

If you decide to change the seat covers and want to sell the stone leather covers i would be interested .
I'm looking for a set of stone leather seat covers to customize !
Old 2/9/11, 04:09 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have swapped several sets of upholstery included swapping the Black for Saddle in my 2010. $600 would only cover the LABOR to swap the covers. Probably almost another $1K for the parts ....
Old 2/10/11, 01:51 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by TxStang2010
If you decide to change the seat covers and want to sell the stone leather covers i would be interested .
I'm looking for a set of stone leather seat covers to customize !
If I ever get them. I would sell them to you for a good price. I'll let you know.

Originally Posted by dmhines
I have swapped several sets of upholstery included swapping the Black for Saddle in my 2010. $600 would only cover the LABOR to swap the covers. Probably almost another $1K for the parts ....
What about dying? Wouldn't it be cheaper to dye it than swapping out the parts (trim pieces not seats)?
Old 2/23/11, 08:46 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by WhiteKnight
Do the dyes turn out good? My dad said the only way I could dye it is if it's done professionally, would you know about how much it would cost to dye it?
+1

I have been thinking of the same thing.
The only thing I don't like about my car is the stone interior.
I don't mind the stone cloth seats, but the plastic trim panels and rear package shelf are a lighter tan color I really don't like.

I recently asked a local custom auto interior shop how much it would cost to swap out the plastic trim panels with black ones.
He said since the only thing available right now is OEM pieces, it would probably run $3200-$3500.
He's probably right, since when I looked up the price for just the door panels, they were $469 each!

So dying, huh?
I'm really interested in this.

Anyone got more info?

Thanks.
Old 2/23/11, 09:24 AM
GT Member

Just asked my local auto interior guy about dying.
This is what he came back with...

That can be done; however, any nicks or scratches will show the original color underneath. It isn’t recommended for a permanent solution for this reason.
Old 3/1/11, 06:45 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by JPJr
Just asked my local auto interior guy about dying.
This is what he came back with...

That can be done; however, any nicks or scratches will show the original color underneath. It isn’t recommended for a permanent solution for this reason.
I had thought that might happen, but I got to thinking about it and what's really going to damage the interior? There are a lot of cars that have the interior dyed and I haven't heard anything about their's chipping.
Old 3/1/11, 07:32 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You need to find a wreck with a red interior ... or do like I did ... post an ad on Craigslist offering the swap. It took me about 2 months but finally found somebody via CL to swap my Black for his Saddle and we both ended up loving the results.

Unfortunately I don't really see somebody want to swap Red for Stone ... that could be tough.
Old 3/1/11, 11:57 PM
V6 Member

Find a Wreck or order new Katzkins. I had my 3 row suburban purchased/installed in Katzkin Black Leather for 1800.00. I have no clue why it would be 3200-3500 to change it. Thats a ripoff..
Old 3/2/11, 02:21 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by dmhines
You need to find a wreck with a red interior ... or do like I did ... post an ad on Craigslist offering the swap. It took me about 2 months but finally found somebody via CL to swap my Black for his Saddle and we both ended up loving the results.

Unfortunately I don't really see somebody want to swap Red for Stone ... that could be tough.
I have thought about that, but there are hardly ANY new Mustangs; better yet, any new cars around here. Trying to find someone to swap with would mean traveling somewhere far. ..I really don't have a problem paying $700 for the seats from eBay. But I just don't want to paint the trim. I may call and see if any junk yards have a wrecked Mustang. I looked on cars.com and they have quite a few '10+ wrecked mustangs with the trim. But, I doubt I'll be able to have them remove it from the car and ship it to me. But, it can't hurt to post something on Craigslist, I'll put something up about it. Thanks for the idea!
Old 3/2/11, 02:26 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by blkside
Find a Wreck or order new Katzkins. I had my 3 row suburban purchased/installed in Katzkin Black Leather for 1800.00. I have no clue why it would be 3200-3500 to change it. Thats a ripoff..
Well, that includes the plastic trim of the interior. There is NO way I would ever pay that much for an anterior swap. Haha. I'm going to just find a wreck with charcoal interior, and if it has Red, Hell yeah!, if not, no big deal, charcoal looks good, too. ..I just want to get rid of this Stone interior, I've never like tan interiors.
Old 3/9/11, 11:45 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by WhiteKnight
Well, that includes the plastic trim of the interior. There is NO way I would ever pay that much for an anterior swap. Haha. I'm going to just find a wreck with charcoal interior, and if it has Red, Hell yeah!, if not, no big deal, charcoal looks good, too. ..I just want to get rid of this Stone interior, I've never like tan interiors.
I feel the same. Can't stand the stone in my Kona.
I really wanted it with a grey interior, but that was not an option.
Gonna have to find a wreck somewhere. I'll let you go first, though.
I'm in no rush.
Old 3/9/11, 12:24 PM
Bullitt Member

If anyone does go through with this, I do have an idea of what to do with the extra plastic parts. The doors and some other trim parts in the back were often covered in leather or some other cheap imitation. Now I know this is not for everyone, but I would like to try to cover part of the black plastic trim on the doors in leather. Since there are a couple of corners that might cause unsightly folds, molding the leather might be the best option. The problem is that I have no mold. Old door trim parts could be filled with cement in the back to stiffen them up, then they should easily withstand any force that drying leather causes. Old door trim=nice leather mold.

If anyone ever wants to contribute to the project with parts you do not need, just let me know. Otherwise I will do the same as you all and look for a wrecked Mustang.
Old 3/9/11, 02:01 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by JPJr
I feel the same. Can't stand the stone in my Kona.
I really wanted it with a grey interior, but that was not an option.
Gonna have to find a wreck somewhere. I'll let you go first, though.
I'm in no rush.
Oh, I'm in no rush at all. I'm 16 and unemployed.. So, the soonest I could get it would be graduation (May 2012).. I'm sure by then there will be plenty of wrecks.. Haha.. But I found a few wrecks on cars.com.. I'll try and find them again and post them here.
Old 3/9/11, 02:03 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Itravelalot
If anyone does go through with this, I do have an idea of what to do with the extra plastic parts. The doors and some other trim parts in the back were often covered in leather or some other cheap imitation. Now I know this is not for everyone, but I would like to try to cover part of the black plastic trim on the doors in leather. Since there are a couple of corners that might cause unsightly folds, molding the leather might be the best option. The problem is that I have no mold. Old door trim parts could be filled with cement in the back to stiffen them up, then they should easily withstand any force that drying leather causes. Old door trim=nice leather mold.

If anyone ever wants to contribute to the project with parts you do not need, just let me know. Otherwise I will do the same as you all and look for a wrecked Mustang.
I'm very confused. Haha.

Quick Reply: Changing Interior? -Stone to Red and Black.