Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

Changing Interior? -Stone to Red and Black.

Search this Thread

Old 3/9/11, 03:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is easy.

1. Cars often came with soft materials on the doors, not just plastic. Leather is just the highest quality material among those.

2. Plastic is textured like things like leather to make it look better.

3. The retro feel of the mustang will hopefully make a high quality leather slightly padded covering work much better than a lot of people might think.

4. Flat leather can be placed over curves and bends, but molded leather fits much better with curved or complex shapes.

5. To mold leather, you soak it in water for a number of hours, then stretch and tie it around a mold. As it dries, leather will create some tension that can break or crack plastic.

6. The plastic trim on the doors would make good molds, but they might not be sturdy enough. It is possible to use something like concrete in the back to give it more strength so that it will be okay as a mold. The trim pieces will be useless for anything else after they are turned into molds.

7. The final project will take a bit of work to make it look just right, but it theoretically could look, feel, and wear very well.

I could always try the project without molding the leather, but it would likely fit better if it were molded.
Old 3/9/11, 07:23 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Itravelalot
It is easy.

1. Cars often came with soft materials on the doors, not just plastic. Leather is just the highest quality material among those.

2. Plastic is textured like things like leather to make it look better.

3. The retro feel of the mustang will hopefully make a high quality leather slightly padded covering work much better than a lot of people might think.

4. Flat leather can be placed over curves and bends, but molded leather fits much better with curved or complex shapes.

5. To mold leather, you soak it in water for a number of hours, then stretch and tie it around a mold. As it dries, leather will create some tension that can break or crack plastic.

6. The plastic trim on the doors would make good molds, but they might not be sturdy enough. It is possible to use something like concrete in the back to give it more strength so that it will be okay as a mold. The trim pieces will be useless for anything else after they are turned into molds.

7. The final project will take a bit of work to make it look just right, but it theoretically could look, feel, and wear very well.

I could always try the project without molding the leather, but it would likely fit better if it were molded.
Oooh, now I see.. That is a great idea.. Just seems a little expensive.. and time consuming.. :/
Old 3/9/11, 08:58 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by WhiteKnight
Oooh, now I see.. That is a great idea.. Just seems a little expensive.. and time consuming.. :/
It will be a lot more expensive if I have someone else do it. I always like a good project. I built a wood Queen bed starting only with my own drawings on a paper once. It was much harder than I thought it would be, but it ended up looking just like I wanted.

You can get good leather online for not all that much. I haven't priced the other things I will need like fabric glue that will not be affected by AZ heat, or thin padding, but since I plan on never getting rid of this car, I want to make the inside everything I want. I want it to really feel warm and comfortable, and even more like a mix between retro and modern. When I eventually do finish someday, I will post pics.
Old 3/10/11, 01:49 PM
GT Member

It will be a lot more expensive if I have someone else do it. I always like a good project. I built a wood Queen bed starting only with my own drawings on a paper once. It was much harder than I thought it would be, but it ended up looking just like I wanted.

You can get good leather online for not all that much. I haven't priced the other things I will need like fabric glue that will not be affected by AZ heat, or thin padding, but since I plan on never getting rid of this car, I want to make the inside everything I want. I want it to really feel warm and comfortable, and even more like a mix between retro and modern. When I eventually do finish someday, I will post pics.
Yes, please post pics if/when you do it. It certaintly has me interested.. You could always use vinyl if you want? They majority of the Premium Mustangs interior are vinyl.
Old 3/10/11, 02:20 PM
Bullitt Member

I know, and it would be easier and much cheaper, but I really like real leather. Since I will not be selling this car, I think that the effort and expense will be worth it. It will take a little while to figure out exactly how I want to do all the finishing touches. I hope that I can get it done by august, but if not, I will just finish when I can.
Old 3/11/11, 12:27 PM
GT Member

I know, and it would be easier and much cheaper, but I really like real leather. Since I will not be selling this car, I think that the effort and expense will be worth it. It will take a little while to figure out exactly how I want to do all the finishing touches. I hope that I can get it done by august, but if not, I will just finish when I can.
Ah, gotcha.. Yeah, you can actually tell an obvious difference between vinyl and leather.. Yeah, I certaintly am interested to how that turns out.
Old 3/19/11, 11:19 PM
GT Member

Alright, so I've been doing some thinking.. Instead of trying to find interior trim that's charcoal to replace the stone I have.. What if I just got the red seat covers? ..I don't think stone A-pillers and all that would look bad with the red.. Opinions?
Old 3/20/11, 12:22 AM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
I know I'm late to this party but dyeing would definitely not work for what you need.

It will show original color with every nick and scratch. I did it on my 96 Bronco, and while I did a great job and I'm very happy with it, it's not for a late model Mustang. I already have areas in the cargo area I need to touch up from when I hauled something and it scratched the panel.

Find a wreck and use those parts if you can. You'd be surprised what you can find with a little patience.
Old 3/20/11, 09:09 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 2k7gtcs
I know I'm late to this party but dyeing would definitely not work for what you need.

It will show original color with every nick and scratch. I did it on my 96 Bronco, and while I did a great job and I'm very happy with it, it's not for a late model Mustang. I already have areas in the cargo area I need to touch up from when I hauled something and it scratched the panel.

Find a wreck and use those parts if you can. You'd be surprised what you can find with a little patience.
Thanks for the suggestion.. I got to thinking about it and I don't want to basically paint my interior and deal with the smell.. But like I said, I was thinking about replacing the Stone seat covers with Red and leaving the rest as is.. I don't think it would look bad..

But.. I did find a Wrecked 2010 Mustang on eBay.. I shot them an email about maybe working a deal where they just sell me the entire interior.. and while waiting for my reply I started looking at it some more.. and guess what color the interior is? ......Stone. -_-
Old 2/4/12, 10:56 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by WhiteKnight
Alright, so I've been doing some thinking.. Instead of trying to find interior trim that's charcoal to replace the stone I have.. What if I just got the red seat covers? ..I don't think stone A-pillers and all that would look bad with the red.. Opinions?
I was kicking around the idea that for my Kona Blue the red OEM seats front and back along with the red door panel inserts would look good with the white door insides and pillars. *Kind of a red, white, blue tri-bar look for the car.
Old 4/13/15, 12:24 PM

Digging up an old thread, but did you ever change the seats to red? I have a redfire mustang with the stone interior, so I was hoping to change the seats to red or red with some sort of stone or black insert, but I'm not sure how it would look. Do you have any pictures of your interior with the seat change?