'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

Anyone good with vinyl???

Search this Thread

Old 7/16/14, 02:12 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Anyone good with vinyl???

I'd REALLY like to do something with the chrome trim bits on the interior of my V6. Way too much glare, and I just don't like chrome. It looks like the only chrome trim that is removable are the gauge bezels, everything else seems to be permanently attached.

How difficult will it be to put vinyl over those bits and make it look good, since they can't be removed? Will the vinyl have a tendency to come off since it can't be wrapped around the back of the trim? What tools are ideal for installing vinyl on such parts? Any tips for installation?
Old 7/16/14, 06:19 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 670 Likes on 542 Posts
Yes, the glare. Exactly. That's why I did what I did to Awesome's dash panels.

The finished product:

https://themustangsource.com/f692/aw...3/#post6053418

However, that's an '05-09 dash set up. In your case, a vinyl wrap is in order. Or a carbon fiber one. Something like this:

http://simcarbon.com/black-satin-vin...FUwV7Aodm1wAqA

Where it's peel and stick. Be a little bit of trial and error to get that done... and you'll want some sort of plastic tool to tuck the edges in... You are right to be worried about peel-back from the edges not being secured enough. And wrapping around a circular part is always... fun.

The other method I can see right off is a lot of taping off, scuffing of the chrome with scotchbrite, etch prime and then paint. If you do it right, you won't even need buffin'. You could also try the nite shades VHT paint, but don't scuff the chrome. Or any number of spray type applications that would do what you're lookin' for.

Only thing is when applying any paints is ensuring they'll be ok with whatever cleaners you might use on the dash, and/or if they'll stick. You may find that you'll need to use adhesion promoter. I recommend Bulldog, but any should probably work.

---

What I did was to get an entire 'new' set of the same panels and then figure it out. Once I had it all figured and done, I swapped them out. I have the old panels. I keep them, fully intact, in case the unfortunate day comes (I hope not!) that I have to sell Awesome. Things happen. But one that won't is to have the modified dash panels go with that car. I have reasons. I also have the silver door handles too, they'll go with her.

Heaven forbid that should ever happen, of course. I ain't gonna let her go without a fight.

Anyway, I suggest you do that as well, get 'new' panels, and don't mess with your current ones. Go to a junk yard, find a set of panels, and take 'em home. Or buy 'em off ebay or whatever. And in the case of trying nite shade or paint, take home a few pieces of random chrome pieces for practice.

You can do whatever you want to the dash. Just takes time and patience and experimentation to find what'll work best for you.

---

Finally, regarding vinyl. Most of it you find 'lyin' around' the stores is mesh backed stuff. It's got a better feel to it. But it's going to be *really* thick to apply, especially on the teeny parts of those chrome rings. So you want more of a raw vinyl, without backing. I don't know where to get that myself, but I do know it exists.

If that helps any. I totally understand about the chrome rings, dude. Good luck!

Last edited by houtex; 7/16/14 at 06:26 PM.