05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Awesome's Dash

Search this Thread

Old 4/16/11, 05:37 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Awesome's Dash

So, Awesome decided to morph herself a little bit. The weirdo she is.

---

As I don't have a good place to store pics I can trust, I just uploaded them. They're small, and will stay.

Awesome had the regular IUP panels, much like this dash in the pic in the first post in this thread (breathe...) about the GT500 wheel in it:
https://themustangsource.com/f692/gt...p-dash-447514/

But not anymore. I think I'll just post the pics and let y'all figure it out what happened. I love what she's done to herself. Love it!

Enjoy, and I hope it meets with y'alls approval!

/Oh, and sorry about the dust. It's hard to clean in the sunlight on a camera when it's black.
//I'll be back later with details, I just wanna pop the pics here for now.
///Oh, and you might also see Jim010's E-boot in there somewhere too. Likin' that a lot too.
Attached Thumbnails Awesome's Dash-imag0024-.jpg   Awesome's Dash-imag0025-.jpg   Awesome's Dash-imag0033-.jpg   Awesome's Dash-imag0034-.jpg   Awesome's Dash-imag0036-.jpg  

Last edited by houtex; 4/16/11 at 05:47 PM.
Old 4/16/11, 05:40 PM
Legacy TMS Member

A few more:
Attached Thumbnails Awesome's Dash-imag0038-.jpg   Awesome's Dash-imag0040-.jpg   Awesome's Dash-imag0043-.jpg   Awesome's Dash-imag0044-.jpg   Awesome's Dash-imag0055-.jpg  

Awesome's Dash-imag0060-.jpg  

Last edited by houtex; 4/16/11 at 05:45 PM.
Old 4/17/11, 12:35 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 4/17/11, 02:12 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well it's obvious to me you covered all the panels in black vinyl and sprayed black chrome on the gauge and vent rings.

I hate to rain on your parade though... Covering the passenger airbag cover the way you did may not allow the airbag to deploy properly... The horizontal line in the middle of the airbag cover allows it to split open during an impact.
Old 4/17/11, 06:24 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 777 Likes on 567 Posts
everything is gonna be ok
Old 4/17/11, 11:06 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by watchdevil
Well it's obvious to me you covered all the panels in black vinyl and sprayed black chrome on the gauge and vent rings.

I hate to rain on your parade though... Covering the passenger airbag cover the way you did may not allow the airbag to deploy properly... The horizontal line in the middle of the airbag cover allows it to split open during an impact.
Almost got it.

The 'chrome' isn't. It's gloss black enamel automotive paint, shined to perfection. The doors and 'cans' of the vents are satin black enamel.

But ya got the vinyl bit right. Tough job, to be honest. But I did it. Yay.

The airbag panel question was the hardest to solve. I thought of various ways that could be achieved, and then the simplest answer presented itself after serous thought:

The vinyl is incredibly weak on it's own, but with the mesh backing, it's incredibly strong and flexible, strong enough to not allow the airbag to deploy, obvously.

I did look into two panels to cover it, but the seam it would have made was so ugly and difficult to get right, I had to abandon it. Wasted panels... ah well, part of figurin' things out.

The vinyl is strong enough to prevent the airbag to deploy if covered all the way, due to the mesh backing on it, so that's not going to work... I just kept looking at it... and voila, the answer was obvious! But would it actually work?

I took both of the now-rejected test panels. I tested how to score the mesh, but NOT the vinyl, so that the only thing holding the piece together at the scoring is the vinyl itself.

Once I pefected that technique enough, I then did several tests to see if it would part ways. And yes, it will easily part at the seam with NO resistance whatsoever. Vinyl is way easy to break.

I then prepared a large vinyl panel piece, marked the endpoints of the airbag panel seam for positioning (it had to be perfectly aligned, afterall), then scored it along the straight line connecting the endpoints. Got it right, thank goodness, although I did have enough for 3 tries.

With that accomplished, it was a matter of finishing it up. Not a problem!

---

Now, I'll be the first to say that it is untried, and I aim to keep it that way. And no passenger in my car will be without a saftey belt. Doesn't happen. They don't remove it either, or I stop the car until they get it buckled again. My car, my rules, I don't care if you're phobic or it's uncomfortable (which is what the belt pads I installed are for), you WILL be wearing them.

I have every confidence, though, that the vinyl will not hamper the bag's performance in any way... primarily because it is hoped it'll never be needed, but I have made every precaution short of not doing the covering to ensure it's going to work.

I did keep the old IUP panels in case I have to sell her for whatever reason. They will go back on the car in that case. I also aim for that not to happen either.

I do thank you for noticing and caring!

/Taking the pods apart is impossible, also, without an IUP set, sans Airbag. The regular one can't be disassembled enough to do the covering. FYI in case anyone else wants to do it. Also, the IUP makes a much better platform to cover with than the rough stockers.
//Have three sets of panels now in various states of completion

Last edited by houtex; 4/17/11 at 07:11 PM.
Old 4/17/11, 05:26 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
Good on you to fimd a solution. Clever.
Old 4/17/11, 08:33 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Wow Houtex!... Good job for thinking it all through and scoring the mesh on the back of the vinyl! I certainly underestimated you! You also polished up that black paint nicely... So much so I thought it was black chrome!
Old 4/18/11, 09:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks good. Impressed with the finish!
Old 4/18/11, 09:47 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Thanks for the complements!

Yeah, the pictures do look a little black chromish on the rings. The pictures absolutely do not do the actual scene justice. As mean as it looks in the pictures... it's even more sinister in person.

Two days later and it still brings a gigantic grin to my face. Although, I keep picking at the lint/dust that falls on it. Stupid lint/dust. Why can't it be attacted to puce or something, and leave my dash alone.

I rediscovered, as stated in my other thread, the R1, B1, G1 color, i.e. the darkest gray you can pick for the gauges. I'd had it set like that for a while, then went back to green.

Now? Permaset to dark grey. With the red needles... well, Darth Vader would love it in there at night. Heh.
Old 4/19/11, 05:56 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Wow , that looks great ... Have you thought about covering the side panels on the center console too ? I've been thinking about getting my seats redone and having the panels covered in leather to match ...
Old 4/19/11, 06:34 AM
Legacy TMS Member

It is a thought, as well as the console cover, but the console would require a LOT of manipulation with the e-boot indent, or a sewn seam... and I don't sew very well. I can patch-sew, but not finish-sew.

Still, it's something that's not out of the realm of possibilty... a heat gun would make a huge difference, for example...
Old 4/19/11, 08:26 AM
Cobra R Member

Looks great!
Old 4/19/11, 03:11 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry, but waaaaay too much black for me. Your choice. A better idea would be to leave to nice IUP dash which gives need life to the dash, and cover the black dash top and front -under air bag area with the vinyl. IMHO I just think too much black is very depressing. I like something livelier and sportier. No dis intended just my opinion.
Old 4/19/11, 07:33 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Well, as you said, my choice... and I love love love it. Rather than being depressing, it makes me... well... naughty feeling. Like I'm doing something very bad and slightly wrong by sitting in the cave, waiting to pounce on the poor prey out there.

So in that sense, it's a thrill.
Old 4/20/11, 02:20 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by houtex
Well, as you said, my choice... and I love love love it. Rather than being depressing, it makes me... well... naughty feeling. Like I'm doing something very bad and slightly wrong by sitting in the cave, waiting to pounce on the poor prey out there.

So in that sense, it's a thrill.
I have felt naughty ever since I changed my standard cloth seat covers to 2010 dark charcoal leather take-offs with white stitching. My personal preference for the dash is aluminum IUP highlights with chrome rings. However I am never gonna insist what another person should have or prefer.

My favorite interiors were always the 65-68 Mustangs and 1958-67 Tbirds and they influence my preferences. The late model Mustang IUP interiors are as close as they will ever be to those original classic designs.

Last edited by watchdevil; 4/20/11 at 02:25 AM.
Old 4/20/11, 01:05 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by watchdevil
I have felt naughty ever since I changed my standard cloth seat covers to 2010 dark charcoal leather take-offs with white stitching. My personal preference for the dash is aluminum IUP highlights with chrome rings. However I am never gonna insist what another person should have or prefer.

My favorite interiors were always the 65-68 Mustangs and 1958-67 Tbirds and they influence my preferences. The late model Mustang IUP interiors are as close as they will ever be to those original classic designs.
Me too. Those great interiors influenced my retro look.

Last edited by MustangGuy; 4/20/11 at 01:07 PM.
Old 4/20/11, 06:18 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I didn't say anything previously because Momma always told me if you don't have somthing nice to say...

But, after hearing of your airbag solution I say Bravo! Nice work! (or should I say "Awesome" )
Old 4/20/11, 09:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
beautiful job. I love all the black. I hate the chrome and silver accents. That dash looks like it comes from a much more expensive car.
Old 4/21/11, 06:53 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Thanks guys!

I tell yas, I just fall more and more in love with it. I can't be happier about the look.

I may add more of this stuff to the car. Side panels are possibles now, as well as the console and it's sail panels. I have Jim010 makin' me a boot for the shifter to match the eboot now, 'cause the seams will match and all.

Gotta find more vinyl!