Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

Aftermarket head unit (base stereo)

Search this Thread

Old 12/25/14, 09:32 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Aftermarket head unit (base stereo)

Looking for options and opinions for an aftermarket head unit (and how to integrate it) for my '14 V6 with base stereo (no touch screen, does have Sync).

I DON'T want a touch screen if I can help it. I like the simplicity of the base stereo, and I also want to keep Sync. 98% of the time I use my USB stick via Sync for music.

What options are out there that aren't touch screens? Most kits I've seen are made for large LCD displays. Trying to do this on a budget...I want good sound quality but have zero need for navigation or touch controls or anything like that.
Old 12/25/14, 10:18 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Your goal is SQ? Forget a head unit and buy a processor. Audison bit ten would fit the bill and allow you to build a very nice sounding system, but keep the factory radio in place. It'll look all stock to prying eyes.
Old 12/25/14, 12:24 PM
Cobra R Member

I'll look into that. I was going to go with a head unit as cost is an issue (good HU isn't too expensive), and because a lot of the processors I looked at required their own volume control. Wanted to see the cost of an aftermarket HU and dash kit to see if it was cheaper.
Old 12/25/14, 12:31 PM
Cobra R Member

For instance, with the Bit Ten, do you HAVE to use that remote control and keep it mounted once everything is set? So far I haven't been able to tell for sure. If so, that's a deal breaker. I don't want to mount anything in the open, and want to use the stock audio controls (steering wheel/dash ****) with whatever I go with.
Old 12/25/14, 12:48 PM
Cobra R Member

And problem #2 seems to be finding anyone who carries it in my state (especially since I can't seem to find it for sale anywhere online).
Old 12/25/14, 01:23 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Joeywhat
For instance, with the Bit Ten, do you HAVE to use that remote control and keep it mounted once everything is set? So far I haven't been able to tell for sure. If so, that's a deal breaker. I don't want to mount anything in the open, and want to use the stock audio controls (steering wheel/dash ****) with whatever I go with.
No, you set a master volume with the software (the remote isn't even included with the bit ten), set your time alignment and EQ settings, save them, and unplug the cable from your laptop. Leave it plugged into the unit and stash it, in case you want to change up your settings. The bit ten retail is like $400. You won't find a head unit and dash trim combo for less than that.
Old 12/25/14, 01:24 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
No, you set a master volume with the software (the remote isn't even included with the bit ten), set your time alignment and EQ settings, save them, and unplug the cable from your laptop. Leave it plugged into the unit and stash it, in case you want to change up your settings. The bit ten retail is like $400. You won't find a head unit and dash trim combo for less than that.
Where are you able to find one? From what I've gathered they only sell "face to face" at local shops. I found a couple shops that are kinda close, but still a decent drive for me.

Would really prefer to buy online and install myself, since I'm sure it'll cost a TON to pay someone to install it (especially if they insist on configuring it as well).
Old 12/25/14, 01:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Where are you able to find one? From what I've gathered they only sell "face to face" at local shops. I found a couple shops that are kinda close, but still a decent drive for me. Would really prefer to buy online and install myself, since I'm sure it'll cost a TON to pay someone to install it (especially if they insist on configuring it as well).
If you buy local (or semi local I guess) they don't have to install. Also, they can typically work with you on price. Let me look around for you.
Old 12/25/14, 05:48 PM
Legacy TMS Member

I don't think Audison sells to online retailers (though I did see one on Amazon, from Audison - sold though).

http://m.ebay.com/itm/271710934005
Old 12/26/14, 09:42 AM
SVS
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got a Pioneer AppRadio 4 from my Son, have already upgraded the speakers and added a sub and amp to run it.

Now will add an amp for the car speakers and the AppRadio HU.. Anyone have experience (pictures) of Scosche, Metra, or other face plate adaptor?

The car is a 2011 GT with the base stereo, no sync, no steering wheel controls

Last edited by SVS; 12/26/14 at 09:44 AM.
Old 12/26/14, 09:51 AM
Cobra R Member

I don't think Audison sells to online retailers (though I did see one on Amazon, from Audison - sold though).

http://m.ebay.com/itm/271710934005
Ugh, that shipping kills me, though. I'll call around and see if I can just buy one outright without them installing it (although I'll probably get a quote anyways just to see...).

Originally Posted by SVS
I got a Pioneer AppRadio 4 from my Son, have already upgraded the speakers and added a sub and amp to run it.

Now will add an amp for the car speakers and the AppRadio HU.. Anyone have experience (pictures) of Scosche, Metra, or other face plate adaptor?

The car is a 2011 GT with the base stereo, no sync, no steering wheel controls
If it's a double DIN head unit I believe a lot of folks have used the Metra dash kits. Doesn't do much for me considering I would stick with a single DIN myself.
Old 5/24/16, 12:42 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
Your goal is SQ? Forget a head unit and buy a processor. Audison bit ten would fit the bill and allow you to build a very nice sounding system, but keep the factory radio in place. It'll look all stock to prying eyes.
Are you suggesting getting a processor and still keeping the stock speakers? I have the base sound system with Sync and I'm looking to do SOMETHING to make it sound better without getting a new head unit and tacky custom panel
Old 5/24/16, 01:50 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Coyote5-0
Are you suggesting getting a processor and still keeping the stock speakers? I have the base sound system with Sync and I'm looking to do SOMETHING to make it sound better without getting a new head unit and tacky custom panel
No, if you get the process you should also change the speakers. May need an amp depending on the processor.
Old 5/24/16, 07:31 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 114 Likes on 88 Posts
No, if you get the process you should also change the speakers. May need an amp depending on the processor.
Yeah certain ones like the JLAudio Cleansweep requires an amp, some other ones have one built in.

-----
I had Sync in my Focus and really wanted to keep it so went with the Cleansweep, a JL Audio XD400/4 amp, and some sweet Infinity speakers. Sound improvement? Definitely. Once you put in aftermarket speakers, you realize how much the factory stereo was tuned for the cheap paper cone speakers. On the Focus, everything was very nasal sounding. Treble was there, base was there, and the upper middle of midrange was there, but nothing in between. Worth the $1200 I spent? Absolutely not. No matter how much I messed with the EQ, I couldn't change the fact that the signal coming out of the stock head unit wasn't very clean. It sounded 'good', but it never sounded 'great'. Always kinda muddy with no thump in the bass, no power to the music. I thought many times about getting a sub to try to make up for it, but never found one that'd fit in the cabin.

This was a Focus though, and the quality of the base audio in a Mustang may be better. Either way, a sound processor can only do so much to equalize and "clean" a bad signal.

I eventually put in a backup camera on the little FoFo (sedan as aweful rear visibility) which was my excuse to get an aftermarket head unit (pioneer AVH-X3700BHS). Took out the Cleansweep and hooked that sucker up to to the amp -- HOLY CRAP -- like pure ear candy! Suddenly there was the clarity and the punch I was looking for! Absolutley loved that sound. When I traded in the Ford for a truck, one of the first things I researched was if the stereo & speakers were going to swap over.

The one thing I still miss about the factory radio was Sync. No scrolling though lists or trying to remember what folder you put an mp3 under. The Pioneer unit on the other hand -- that f'ing interface. Like the OP, I hate touchscreens and this thing has only reinforced that. Every action that from pausing, to scrolling through lists, to changing settings is just so **** tedious. I love the old-school head unit in my Mustang. I can change anything without even looking at it. Rough pavement? No big deal because they're real buttons. Try the same thing on the touch screen and your finger's bouncing everywhere and suddenly you're changing the clock when all you meant to do was go to a different EQ. /rant
The following users liked this post:
Coyote5-0 (5/25/16)
Old 5/25/16, 06:26 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Yeah it looks like this is going to be a much bigger job that I thought
Old 5/25/16, 08:29 AM
Cobra R Member

There's no such thing as a free lunch. If you don't want to spend a cobsiderable amount of money, just get new speakers and be done with it. Beyond that, and you might as well just get a new head unit or a processor, as you'll never get good sound without them. The ideal "budget" setup is an audio processor, new speakers, sub, amps for speakers and sub, which can likely all be had for $1000 or so. $1200 maybe, would give you some more options for better sound. Even skipping the sub and just doing speakers with a good amp will help considerably, just will be a little light on the bass.

The primary issue with the stock stereo is that it outputs poor quality audio, so if you're not fixing that there's no point in doing much else.
Old 5/25/16, 08:38 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

I just dread getting one of those aftermarket custom panels to fit a double DIN head unit. I just think they're so ugly

Big decisions to think about...
Old 5/25/16, 08:59 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Coyote5-0
I just dread getting one of those aftermarket custom panels to fit a double DIN head unit. I just think they're so ugly

Big decisions to think about...
Get a decent single din radio, then mount it behind a tablet. Then you just use your tablet/iPad as your head unit.
Old 5/25/16, 09:08 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

I don't understand how that would fit into the base Sync head unit panel...
Old 5/25/16, 09:11 AM
Cobra R Member

A processor likely costs about as much as a head unit, and the good ones sound very nice. It's likely what I'll do when I get around to doing audio.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket head unit (base stereo)