Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

Adding the OEM nav

Search this Thread

Old 6/18/20, 12:30 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Why a sync kit fro an 09, and not the actual sync module?

Old 6/18/20, 12:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry, allow me to clarify - I swapped out the dash harness in my base ‘11 for the nav install. All of that is fine. I have an ‘11 sync module all plugged in, but I’m not getting anything out of it. Have had a steering wheel button on back order for 3 months now...thanks COVID...so haven’t been able to try that.

Epiphany last night was to check my SJB to either see if I have the fuse, or if it needs to be reprogrammed potentially...
Old 6/18/20, 01:51 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Wish I could help. As far as I'm aware, it should work without doing anything else. But you don't have the switch to activate sync either. And GPS does not work either. By not work, you mean no map, or map but does not move when moving?
Old 6/18/20, 04:17 PM

The map is moving based off the internal ACM dead reckoning, but no satellites and therefore no GPS position updates. It’s picking up the SiriusXM just fine though. I left the GPS module under the dash out, my understanding being it is not needed per the nav swap instructions early in the thread - I’ll probably order one up and see if that does the trick anyway. Otherwise - this is my second sync module and second GPS antenna, leading me to believe it’s a programming thing, or maybe something I’m missing regarding the SJB. As time and resources allow - I’ve only been able to really attack these issues piecemeal every couple of months or so, and while none of it is really a problem right now - I’d really just like to get it all complete at this point. Have an old fastback that needs attention, too...
Old 6/18/20, 11:26 PM
Legacy TMS Member

check to see if there are different part numbers for SJBs. If there are, then that will tell you right there. But I have my doubts that it is the SJB.
Old 8/15/20, 04:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OEM nav on 2010 GT

I followed the steps on my 2010 GT premium and everything seems to work fine except The engine won’t crack. I see 3 plugs that i have no idea where they should go. One plug should be plugged to the steering wheel position sensor right above the ignition switch. I looked at the old plug it’s smaller than the new one! The other two plugs are under the cluster.
This is the number for the harness i bought
The ER3Z-14401-KA

Last edited by Beenie36; 8/16/20 at 09:38 PM.
Old 8/15/20, 04:43 PM

And these two plugs I forgot where they go and I couldn’t find any place to plug them!
Old 10/22/20, 08:46 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Beenie36

I followed the steps on my 2010 GT premium and everything seems to work fine except The engine won’t crack. I see 3 plugs that i have no idea where they should go. One plug should be plugged to the steering wheel position sensor right above the ignition switch. I looked at the old plug it’s smaller than the new one! The other two plugs are under the cluster.
This is the number for the harness i bought
The ER3Z-14401-KA
That won't work. The ER3Z is a 2014 and doesn't have the Steering position switch, as that is in the EPAS. The two plugs are for the new 2013/14 Amp. So you need to get one off eBay to get it run. Although all the plugs at the steering wheel are identical, so except the one for the position switch should plug right in..

Last edited by LEXiiON; 10/22/20 at 08:47 AM.
Old 10/22/20, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by LEXiiON
That won't work. The ER3Z is a 2014 and doesn't have the Steering position switch, as that is in the EPAS. The two plugs are for the new 2013/14 Amp. So you need to get one off eBay to get it run. Although all the plugs at the steering wheel are identical, so except the one for the position switch should plug right in..
The screen is running perfect and i got new aftermarket amp, but now the engine won’t crack i tried to diagnose it it looks like the modules not communicating. Do you think i need to get another dash harness? And would it work on 2010 mustang gt?
Old 10/22/20, 09:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Beenie36
The screen is running perfect and i got new aftermarket amp, but now the engine won’t crack i tried to diagnose it it looks like the modules not communicating. Do you think i need to get another dash harness? And would it work on 2010 mustang gt?
Does your gauge cluster displays mileage? Did you plug in the wrong connector into the gauge cluster? If yes, then it won't start. (easy to see if the cluster shows all error messages etc)
Worst case you need to get a 2010 dash harness. There are substantial differences between 2010 and 13/14

I may still have a 2010 GT NAV dash harness... however I think I wired a amp to it, so it may be a little jacked on the passenger door connex.

LEXiiON

Last edited by LEXiiON; 10/22/20 at 11:01 AM.
The following users liked this post:
KönaMACh1 (11/22/21)
Old 11/3/20, 03:48 PM

Log it - another successful swap. FINALLY.

Color me a ******* - after entirely too long, cross country move complete and settled in, finally got a few hours of alone time...and decided it was time to rip everything out and try to see what I could see in terms of why I could get everything except GPS. Well...luckily didn’t have to get far, the purple GPS wire from the antenna splitter wasn’t secure in the ACM and was hanging loose. One little click into place, fire her up....boom. A year + for just that. Wish I had more time, more often haha. Now just need to wire up the sound and get sync working and she’ll be all done. But as far as navigation goes - my formerly base model is full up. Thanks again all for the help!
Old 11/15/20, 02:19 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Glad it was a simple thing. I've had a couple things not work and had to go through every single connector to find the problem.
Old 11/16/20, 06:04 PM

The cluster is working fine. Do you know if i can find dash harness for 2010 mustang GT with oem nav screen?

Last edited by Beenie36; 12/7/20 at 11:01 AM.
KönaMACh1 (11/22/21)
Old 3/10/21, 09:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My hope is to eventually join the ranks of all those who have successfully upgraded to the OEM Navigation. Several relatives are questioning my sanity but this is going to be cool when completed. My Mustang is a 2013 GT Premium. I have all the needed parts for the upgrade - the part for upgrading to a dual climate control took 4 months for it to ship from the factory. So I am ready but I have hit a snag. We cannot get the dash out. I believe we have removed all the necessary bolts, nuts and screws but it is hung up somewhere towards the windshield. How on earth do you remove the sun sensor next to the windshield? I can not find a way to unplug the thing from under the dash, my hands can't get up there.

I want to make sure I am seeing what I am supposed to be seeing. When the dash comes out it has all the ductwork, the steel bracing and most of the wiring harness. Is this correct? I don't know why this is being so difficult for me. I have a good mechanical background but this dash is kicking my rear end. I am finding that at 67 it is not as easy to roll my 6'3" frame up into the underside of a dash but I believe we managed to get everything disconnected. Been working on this for two weeks. I would appreciate any help that any of you can provide. Thank you,

Rick
Old 3/11/21, 04:37 AM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,252 Likes on 1,678 Posts
Maybe adding some pics if you can might help.
Old 3/11/21, 11:39 AM

Here is what it looks like at this point.

Old 3/11/21, 04:06 PM
Legacy TMS Member

You got the instructions for removal from the dealership? If you haven't I would go to them and ask for a print out of the instructions.
Old 3/11/21, 04:29 PM

I had gone by the dealership a week ago and one of the service writers printed the instructions out for me. A few months ago I spent the big bucks to buy the DVD based shop manual from the publisher. I popped the DVD into my Windows 10 system and loaded the program only to find out that the program does not run well under Windows 10. I tried it on Windows 8, 7 and Windows 98. No go. I am the systems administrator for a none profit I work for so I found an old Windows 95 laptop that was supposed to be destroyed. The program runs fine on this old laptop but is difficult to use on the smaller screen. I finally bought the $10.00 PDF version and it turns out to be a great easy to use version.

This morning I printed out the section from the PDF file, which was better than the dealer printout, and used it as a guide to look over what we had done so far. Unplugged all the harness plugs and my brother-in-law and I gave the dash one more try - out she came. This has been a very interesting process. I could not have pulled this off without the advice and instructions and the experiences of all the people on this site. Thank you everyone, I truly appreciate it.

Rick
KönaMACh1 (11/22/21)
Old 3/13/21, 10:27 PM

We got the proper documentation and got the dash out. I had a printout from the dealership but it was missing a few pages. I bought one of those PDF file workshop manuals on eBay and printed out a much better version of what I went to the dealership for. We are in the process of switching out the dash harness. I have a question that perhaps someone here has seen. As we are pulling the old harness we are plugging in the new one I ran into a place where there is not a matching plug on the new harness. Up under the dash, driver side next to the center vents there is what I believe is a GPS module. The new harness does not have a plug for it. What is this for? Does the navigation handle GPS in a different way? I seem to remember reading something about this on this forum but I cannot remember exactly where it was. Thanks,

Rick
Old 3/13/21, 11:34 PM
V6 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
If its a small block box roughly 2"x2" it would be the gps module.the nav cars do it differently i belive usint thebxm antenna

Quick Reply: Adding the OEM nav