Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

Adding an amp to basic audio--location??

Search this Thread

Old 12/31/15, 07:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adding an amp to basic audio--location??

Hi all!

I have the basic audio system. I also want to keep the factory look--I do not want to change the head unit.

I upgraded the speakers in the fall. My wife bought me a power amp and all the adapters I need for Christmas.

A couple questions-

Is it possible to install the amp under the dash (like the factory)?
It would make everything nice and tidy and allow me to splice into the existing speaker wire.

Has anyone put an amp under the passenger seat? I have Recaro seats-- not sure if that would make a difference.

Any other tips or advice?

Thanks!
Old 12/31/15, 10:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RLRR
Hi all!

I have the basic audio system. I also want to keep the factory look--I do not want to change the head unit.

I upgraded the speakers in the fall. My wife bought me a power amp and all the adapters I need for Christmas.

A couple questions-

Is it possible to install the amp under the dash (like the factory)?
It would make everything nice and tidy and allow me to splice into the existing speaker wire.

Has anyone put an amp under the passenger seat? I have Recaro seats-- not sure if that would make a difference.

Any other tips or advice?

Thanks!

are you adding an amp and subwoofer or just the amp to power the normal speakers?
Old 12/31/15, 10:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just an amp to power the front and rear speakers. No sub yet. I might add one in the future.
Old 12/31/15, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by RLRR
Just an amp to power the front and rear speakers. No sub yet. I might add one in the future.

I mounted my amp behind the backseat where I have easy access thru the trunk making it easier to do everything.

Plus amps tend to get pretty hot if they're on a lot so putting it under your seat might not be a good idea since they need good ventilation.

If you add a sub in the future then might as well just run the speaker wire to the back of the stereo and add the Hi Lo Rca adapter and have the RCA installed so your ready to go.

Just my opinion.
Old 12/31/15, 12:02 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
I would only worry about heat if the amp is in an enclosed space (i.e. zero ventilation) or if it is very powerful. Under a seat will not be an issue for most amps.

While it's possible to put it in the dash somewhere, that seems like a huge hassle. Getting it to physically fit is issue #1, and why would you want to rip apart the entire dash to get it in there? Plus if you need to change settings on the amp it's a huge problem.

Also, it's generally unwise to use the stock wire with an amp. At the very least check what gauge wire you have running to the speakers, and see if that is compatible with what the amplifier is putting out. In many cases the wire is not made for the additional power and there is risk of fire.
Old 12/31/15, 04:46 PM
GT Member

I installed one of mine on the right side of the trunk. It is tucked off to the side nicely and allows me to still use the whole trunk. My other one is on some brackets I made for more of a display. The first one is behind the right taillight.

Name:  EFF9AE60-1556-4BD9-BCDB-D856D6C2AE91.jpg
Views: 2915
Size:  250.8 KB
Name:  A276FEF7-5EA5-4047-87A6-83287A1FAF09.jpg
Views: 3120
Size:  109.7 KB
Old 1/2/16, 07:28 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My JL Audio mono amp is installed under the rear shelf holding the rear speakers. Easy to make adjustment but hidden from sight.
Old 3/2/16, 07:59 AM
Mach 1 Member

Under the rear shelf is a good place. They make some very small amps nowadays but you pay for them. The XD series amp from JL is high quality and very small. Its possible to put one under the passenger seat without too much work. Also making adjustments would be easy.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JL-AUDIO-XD4...wAAOSwxCxT9Z9Z

There is also this one. A car audio installer friend of mine says these are excellent amps.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Massive-Audi...lTaCEb&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Massive-Audi...EAAOSwxH1T77yB

The real question is how you get RCA's to the amp. I used this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PAC-AOEM-FRD...NShSY9&vxp=mtr

For the subs I used this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AudioControl...C2ln8Q&vxp=mtr

Last edited by RobDis; 3/2/16 at 08:07 AM.
Old 3/3/16, 06:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
My amp is mounted underneath the rear deck between the rear speakers. You can't even tell there is an amp in the car unless you stick your head into the trunk and look up.

Unfortunately I'm having to replace my amp. My previous one decided that after 4 years of working great it was time to self destruct. Stupid thing burned up. Smoke filled trunk and all.

So, this weekend I'm pulling out the old Alpine MRX-V60 and replacing it with a Rockford Fosgate R600X5. Not sure if I want to mount it in the same place or not. I was thinking about moving it to the right of the rear right speaker instead of centered and to give it a bit more breathing room since my sub is also in the center.
Old 3/3/16, 07:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by RobDis
Under the rear shelf is a good place. They make some very small amps nowadays but you pay for them. The XD series amp from JL is high quality and very small. Its possible to put one under the passenger seat without too much work. Also making adjustments would be easy.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JL-AUDIO-XD4...wAAOSwxCxT9Z9Z

That is a seriously expensive amp for that power range.

For the OP I would suggest the amp I just bought. The Rockford Fosgate R600X5 is an excellent amp to add to the stock head, especially if you're considering adding a subwoofer somewhere down the line.

First, it's a 5 channel amp so it has the converter, crossover, and subwoofer channel built in to it. You can hook up a 4 channel input and then output to 4 channels and when you add the subwoofer you just plug the speaker to the amp's Subwoofer channel, set your crossover points and gain on the amp and you're ready to go. No adding another amp or other hardware required.

Second, it has high level speaker inputs which means you don't need any converters to plug the head unit output into the amp. Just splice the existing speaker wire and run it to the amp. No need to worry about converting to RCA.

Third, it's decently powered. Certainly enough for the vast majority of people. 50W RMS to the 4 channels at 4ohm and 200W to the subwoofer at 4ohm or 300W at 2ohm. More than enough to leave your ears ringing for days.

And finally at $240 it's not a bad price.

Amazon.com : Rockford Fosgate R600X5 Prime 5-Channel Amplifier : Vehicle Multi Channel Amplifiers : Car Electronics Amazon.com : Rockford Fosgate R600X5 Prime 5-Channel Amplifier : Vehicle Multi Channel Amplifiers : Car Electronics

Oh, and I forgot to mention, it has a bass remote for the subwoofer included which lets you adjust the amount of bass without having to touch the amp. Bump it up for classic rock, tone it down for modern pop or hip hop.

Last edited by Moustang; 3/3/16 at 07:20 PM.