Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

Added Heated Seats - 2013 Base Model GT

Search this Thread

Old 11/2/15, 03:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Added Heated Seats - 2013 Base Model GT

I know its a mustang and some people would say "why heated seats in a mustang?" Well, because I felt like it.

A while back I bought 2 aftermarket seat heaters on ebay for about 50-60$ shipped. I then bought some brand new factory ford leather takeoffs from a 2013 and had planned to install the leather takeoffs and heated seats. Instead I just installed the leather without the heated seat part.

I live in Tx, our winters aren't THAT cold, but after riding in my ex gf's car with heated seats during the winter I sure regretted NOT installing the heated part!

SO, a few days ago my seats came out and I went with the install and had to basically redo the leather install once again, only this time to include the heated seat elements.

I didn't want to put the ugly little high/low heat switches on the console or dash or anywhere noticeable. So I mounted each switch on the side of the seat cover valance. The seats are wired up with relays and fuses so that everything is protected, the seats can only be powered on while the car is running that way if a passenger accidentally left their seat on it wouldn't matter. Each seat has 1 relay mounted under the seat where the airbag and seat belt harnesses are. As for making the power switchable, there is a separate relay under the dash on the passenger side that I've wired up for that.

The seats work great! They get hot quickly and are very comfortable!

I wanted to figure out a way to trigger the factory heated seat button to work to activate my aftermarket setup but no one around here seems to have done that, also learned that the HVAC module may require programming for that option to work since the factory setup uses a monetary switch that activates the heated seats for 15 minutes. I have a Schoche ac setup and heated seats are optional within the display and wanted to use that.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Old 11/2/15, 03:41 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Nice work! Hey where did you get your GT500 door panels, and how much were they?
Old 11/2/15, 07:49 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
Nice work! Hey where did you get your GT500 door panels, and how much were they?
I got them from eBay, they were brand new off of a 13 Shelby that had fallen off some ramps from a delivery truck and totaled out

But lucky for me I got them for 450 or so shipped.
Old 11/3/15, 12:46 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
even though you think you wouldnt need it in houston. i keep using my seat heater as i ride most of the time with windows roll down in the winter.
Old 11/3/15, 02:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by CiniZter
even though you think you wouldnt need it in houston. i keep using my seat heater as i ride most of the time with windows roll down in the winter.
thats actually really nice, its like sleeping under big warm blankets while its freezing in your house lol.
Old 11/3/15, 07:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nice job. that is exactly how I added heated seats to my truck, including the switch placement. definitely worth the effort and the aftermarket warmers are hotter than stock.

Last edited by bones302; 11/3/15 at 07:56 PM.
Old 11/5/15, 01:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by bones302
nice job. that is exactly how I added heated seats to my truck, including the switch placement. definitely worth the effort and the aftermarket warmers are hotter than stock.
Thanks! I'm definitely not a fan of aftermarket switches out in plain sight such as on the radio bezel or console.

This mod is so cheap and awesome that I'm considering doing it to my other mustang (once its running) and to my F-150!
Old 11/12/15, 01:14 PM
V6 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Nice job DeeJayTJ. I finally got around to putting on my new leathers and added heated seat pads as well. Can you take a picture to where you made your connections? I imagine the driver side just goes to one of the fuses, but what about the passenger side?
Old 11/17/15, 02:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by GT227
Nice job DeeJayTJ. I finally got around to putting on my new leathers and added heated seat pads as well. Can you take a picture to where you made your connections? I imagine the driver side just goes to one of the fuses, but what about the passenger side?
Hi, so the kit came with 2 relays, one for each seat. I drilled a hole into the bracket that holds the factory harnesses and mounted the relay under each seat. then rolled up the excess wiring nice and neat and used zip ties. I then cut the ground wire short and grounded it to where the seat bolts to the floor.

As for the positive leads, I used another relay. I have a 20amp fuse I tapped on the passenger side fuse box for power to the seats from the relay which goes out to power each seat with its own 10amp fuse (which could be over kill but I've not had any problems running both seats at the same time) Then the switched source was from a previous project that used an "Accessory on" switch position to trigger the relay.

so, both driver and passenger go to the same 20amp fuse (which is labeled as "SPARE - NOT USED" in the manual. I just needed a spare power source that could supply enough amperage.

but the heated seat kit also has their own 10amp fuse per seat. I'm not recommending this way of doing it because i know there are better ways to do it, that just how I did it because I didnt feel like going direct to the battery.

Last edited by DeeJayTJ; 5/24/18 at 03:32 PM.