Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

added ambient lighting

Search this Thread

Old 3/14/15, 01:24 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thanks
Old 3/16/15, 08:50 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Timfactor
This looks great. I have all the ford lighting cup ring, door panels, center console etc... Do you have any pics of how you wired this all up? Including the door sills? My sills have 4 black wires, everything else has 4 wires I believe green, brown, blue, and orange. Would it be easier to but the ford aftermarket kit and wire it all up to the module that it comes with?
its basically just RGB and any RGB controller will work as long as its a COMMON CATHODE RGB Controller (most out there are common anode) but since you have all the ford stuff, it MUST be common cathode.. very important!

so for RGB its

+Red
+Green
+Blue
-Ground

Ford
Orange = RED
Green of course is Green
Blue is Blue
and Brown = -Ground

as for the door sills, i tested each wire with a 9volt battery to determine which wire was ground and then figured out each other wire by just swapping out each wire on the positive of the battery to see what color was what.

As far as the controller, the ford controller should work fine and you would even get the fancy little button and 7 different colors. Aftermarket gets you pretty much any color you want, but i kinda wish i had the ford controller, i just couldn't justify spending all that money when my 5 dollar controller from ebay works fine lol.

i used a relay to power mine, its triggered by the dash lights, specifically a wire coming from the trunk release/hazard/traction buttons. So as long its dark enough outside for the dash lights to turn on, so does my ambient lighting.
Old 3/17/15, 12:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DeeJayTJ
its basically just RGB and any RGB controller will work as long as its a COMMON CATHODE RGB Controller (most out there are common anode) but since you have all the ford stuff, it MUST be common cathode.. very important!

so for RGB its

+Red
+Green
+Blue
-Ground

Ford
Orange = RED
Green of course is Green
Blue is Blue
and Brown = -Ground

as for the door sills, i tested each wire with a 9volt battery to determine which wire was ground and then figured out each other wire by just swapping out each wire on the positive of the battery to see what color was what.

As far as the controller, the ford controller should work fine and you would even get the fancy little button and 7 different colors. Aftermarket gets you pretty much any color you want, but i kinda wish i had the ford controller, i just couldn't justify spending all that money when my 5 dollar controller from ebay works fine lol.

i used a relay to power mine, its triggered by the dash lights, specifically a wire coming from the trunk release/hazard/traction buttons. So as long its dark enough outside for the dash lights to turn on, so does my ambient lighting.

Cool thanks for the reply! Going to start the install next week.
Old 3/20/15, 05:12 PM

Cool thanks for the reply! Going to start the install next week.

Do you know what color wire you used from the truck release area? I tapped into one and all my ambient lights do is blink
Old 3/20/15, 06:03 PM

Never mind I tapped into the light switch
Old 3/21/15, 01:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Never mind I tapped into the light switch
light switch would work im sure just fine.

should turn on when your doors are open (at night) also.

i tapped into purple wire at trunk harness, sounds like you had it on your hazard instead.
Old 3/21/15, 01:25 PM

light switch would work im sure just fine.

should turn on when your doors are open (at night) also.

i tapped into purple wire at trunk harness, sounds like you had it on your hazard instead.

I have everything workng fine except the **** door sills. Not sure what the issue is.
Old 3/21/15, 01:38 PM
Bullitt Member

I have everything workng fine except the **** door sills. Not sure what the issue is.

do what i did, take a 9 volt battery to figure out which wire is which, label them if you have to, then go. out of the 4 wires only 1 of them is the ground.

once you've determined which wire is ground the rest are all positive wires and then you'll be able to see which color is which of the black wires.

the 9 volt battery is just so you dont short anything by using the power from your car....and just somehow messing up that way...

Last edited by DeeJayTJ; 3/21/15 at 01:44 PM.
Old 3/21/15, 01:58 PM

do what i did, take a 9 volt battery to figure out which wire is which, label them if you have to, then go. out of the 4 wires only 1 of them is the ground.

once you've determined which wire is ground the rest are all positive wires and then you'll be able to see which color is which of the black wires.

the 9 volt battery is just so you dont short anything by using the power from your car....and just somehow messing up that way...

I did that. I have blue green and red light up but when I wire to the car nothing.
Old 3/21/15, 02:17 PM

Thanks for all the help man I got it all working. Just finishing up some soldering and plugs. Thanks again!
Old 3/25/15, 10:04 AM
GT Member

I ended up not running new wires thru the door. Instead I tapped into the drivers side power window switch. I just wired in a cheap set of Autozone LED strips.
The plus side is that its very easy to do and you don't have to remove the door panel. I popped off the window switch and tapped into the wires (cannot remember the colors) and snaked the wires through the to the hinged cover that is directly behind the grab handle on the door panel. Using double-sided tape I then stuck the LED strip on the bottom of the arm rest -illuminating the pockets on each side.
On the negative side the lights are always on once the car is running.
As I have now installed the premium door panels (the ones with the metal running horses on them) they have from the factory the Ambient lights already installed.
Without running new wires -is there a way to install a controller under each window switch to change the colors and turn them on and off?
Any input is gratefully appreciated!
Thanks
Old 3/25/15, 10:14 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by cjjiii
I ended up not running new wires thru the door. Instead I tapped into the drivers side power window switch. I just wired in a cheap set of Autozone LED strips.
The plus side is that its very easy to do and you don't have to remove the door panel. I popped off the window switch and tapped into the wires (cannot remember the colors) and snaked the wires through the to the hinged cover that is directly behind the grab handle on the door panel. Using double-sided tape I then stuck the LED strip on the bottom of the arm rest -illuminating the pockets on each side.
On the negative side the lights are always on once the car is running.
As I have now installed the premium door panels (the ones with the metal running horses on them) they have from the factory the Ambient lights already installed.
Without running new wires -is there a way to install a controller under each window switch to change the colors and turn them on and off?
Any input is gratefully appreciated!
Thanks
I too have the premium door panels (gt500 actually) and since i wired up the door subs, i ran the 4 wires for the lights at the same time.

to do what you are trying to do would require a 12volt source for a controller in each door, i really wouldn't bother with adding a controller to each door because the hassle it would take to change anything about them, color etc.. unless you had bluetooth or wifi controllers and even then, finding them for common cathode (FORD's choice of LED's) is a pain in the ***.

I'm putting an ipad mini in my car as a permanent headunit (after i jailbreak it and finish my bezel im making) and want to be able to control my ambient lighting with the ipad, but since all the controllers that are bluetooth or wifi are common anode, i have to put a converter that changes a common anode control output to common cathode. which means i'll have 2 sources that need 12v and honestly its just kind of a pain in the *** but in the end it may be worth it.

If I were you, I'd run the wire through the door jam through the molex connector (or if you did it like i did, disassemble the molex connector from the molex connector housing and thru into the interior.

lot of work but much more like factory this way and no holes to drill!

Last edited by DeeJayTJ; 3/25/15 at 10:15 AM.
Old 3/25/15, 10:21 AM
GT Member

Ok I see what you are saying about running the wires through the door jams. I already have the +12 volts in each door (which I tapped off the window switch)
My question is how can I simply take the 12V wires and plug them into the factory lights?
Do I need a controller to have them work? I am not looking into making them change colors rather just illuminate blue.

I am also searching for a center console that has the illuminated cup holder and extra lights at the end shining down on the back floor. Ebay has a few listed but they are pricey -about $250.
Old 3/25/15, 10:23 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by cjjiii
Ok I see what you are saying about running the wires through the door jams. I already have the +12 volts in each door (which I tapped off the window switch)
My question is how can I simply take the 12V wires and plug them into the factory lights?
Do I need a controller to have them work? I am not looking into making them change colors rather just illuminate blue.

I am also searching for a center console that has the illuminated cup holder and extra lights at the end shining down on the back floor. Ebay has a few listed but they are pricey -about $250.
OH, okay, yeah you can take the wire directly to the 12v source to whatever color combination you want.

the factory ford color (atleast what i consider it when i see brochures) is cyan. I believe its blue and green wires together...

which is the color i have set for this pic because BLUE is a lot darker of a color for these lights.

Old 3/25/15, 10:28 AM
GT Member

YES, thanks that's the info I was after.