Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

2013 V6 Stereo Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 2/4/14, 06:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 V6 Stereo Upgrade

Hello,

first of all, please excuse my bad English.

I'm going to purchase an "unique" 2013 V6 Mustang. Unique because Mustangs aren't sold in Europe yet and I really like this one. So I need to purchase this base model instead of a V6 Premium Mustang :/

My problem is that the base model's stereo does not supply any USB input/interface behind the cupholders. There's only the AUX input jack available but using this sounds very flat and there is always a background noise while playing.

Does the standard stereo/sound system also provide an USB-inferface or input, which is simply not used in a base V6 model? Could I use a simple USB-cable to put it from the stereo over/under the middle console and let it hang out right next to the AUX jack?

Or do I have to purchase an original Sound System / Stereo (like it is built into the Premium Mustang models)? If so, where can I buy this kind of (OEM) sound system? I didn't find any original mustang 2013 premium stereos, not even on the Ford US website.

Can you help me? I'm a little overchallenged with this situation.

Last edited by Johnny.M.D; 2/5/14 at 01:47 AM. Reason: Bad language skills :S
Old 2/4/14, 09:35 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
this is your solution for USB and bluetooth, without something like this your car does not come with bluetooth, i put this in mine and its amazing. i can play from usb flash drives, harddrives, android phone, iphone, ipad, bluetooth, answer phone calls etc.

I've got a writeup showing that it works and what it can do. its practically like ford sync.

http://www.gromaudio.com/store/usb_a...interface.html
Old 2/4/14, 11:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by DeeJayTJ
this is your solution for USB and bluetooth, without something like this your car does not come with bluetooth, i put this in mine and its amazing. i can play from usb flash drives, harddrives, android phone, iphone, ipad, bluetooth, answer phone calls etc.

I've got a writeup showing that it works and what it can do. its practically like ford sync.

http://www.gromaudio.com/store/usb_a...interface.html
Can you take some pictures?... is hard to install? i can use that item with my base stereo ?
Thanks in advance
Old 2/4/14, 12:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by STABB3D BY GiRL
Can you take some pictures?... is hard to install? i can use that item with my base stereo ?
Thanks in advance
yes,

I have a base model mustang with base model radio... i upgraded my speakers to the Pioneer TS-D6802R along with an ipad mount and bluetooth and all this fun stuff.

very easy to install, unplug your radio harnesses, plug them into this adapter,then from the adapter back to the radio.

There is one 12v hot wire that needs power, so you tap into your 12v wire from radio harness - this is to power the grom audio device.

anyway

here are the pics

Last edited by DeeJayTJ; 2/4/14 at 12:26 PM.
Old 2/5/14, 01:44 AM

Thank you for your quick and qualified answer. That's exactly what I was searching for.

So, can I simply buy this GROM USB2 device with the included accessory and connect it directly (without buying additional cables, etc.) between the Standard V6 Mustang's radio/stereo and the car's cable harnesses?

And do I have to switch/turn the radio's input to "CD" because the GROM device is connected via the CD port of the standard radio?

How does the optional (additional) bluetooth function work? Also via the CD input of the radio?

Can I use any Smartphone (e.g. an iPhone) for the bluetooth audio streaming and telephoning function? It says that it's possible to connect only Android / Jelly Bean phones via USB, but the bluetooth function should be able to use with any modern smartphone (in my case an iPhone), is that correct?

My last question is about the compatibilty of the GROM USB2 device. On the dealer's website it says that "Ford Mustang 2007-2009 (MP3 stereo or NAV)" would be supported. Does it really also work with a 2013 Mustang?

Please excuse my many questions and thank you for your patience in advance, but I want to go sure that everything works or that I understand the major functions of this solution before buying this device, because it's still not available for free ($184 are still an amount of money). I find this solution of an additional USB and bluetooth smartphone connection for less than $200 quite amazing.

Do I get all this things from above right?
Old 2/5/14, 08:26 AM
Bullitt Member

the pictures posted are of the grom audio thing working in my 2013. thats proof right there that it works.

what it does is acts like a cd changer, however to use it, you press the SIRIUS button.

If you currently have sirius, then i woudlnt recommend this.

looking at my photos you will see the same title thats displayed on my phone as it is on my radio, that is because it is streaming via bluetooth.

I use my ipad on this thing also, so yes, iphone would work fine. and yes you can use your phone as audio device as well as phone function. this device will NOT affect your use of CDs.

the only thing i think it needs is a boost for mic volume because even if i plug the mic into my laptop and talk into it, its quiet.

this is where i put the mic (bought a map light with the motion sensors and removed one of them to replace with a mic)

Old 2/10/14, 05:59 AM
GT Member

I really like where you put the microphone. I am gonna have to remember that when I do mine! An extremely clean and OEM look