Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

2013 sync install

Search this Thread

Old 3/7/15, 09:58 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why is there no write up on this? I've searched for hours, I have ordered all the parts, but still don't know what goes where. The only information out there is people asking if it can be done, and people saying that they got theirs working. Why is the information strewn across 100s of pages of threads on even different sites. Anyone who has information on what gets wired where and how it goes together would be great, I thought that's what these forums were for. -Frustrated

Last edited by Tapakegovagnaps; 3/7/15 at 09:59 AM.
Old 3/7/15, 02:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't have sync but maybe this will help.

http://www.partscheap.com/v/vspfiles...nc_6-18-08.pdf
Old 3/7/15, 07:48 PM
GT Member

As time goes on I keep wanting sync in my car less and less. Every day it pisses me off more and more to keep having to deal with all of its quirks. I almost just wish at this point that my processor had Bluetooth so I could avoid the stereo all together.
Old 3/8/15, 05:53 PM
Ford In-Vehicle Technology Rep

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by clucas
As time goes on I keep wanting sync in my car less and less. Every day it pisses me off more and more to keep having to deal with all of its quirks. I almost just wish at this point that my processor had Bluetooth so I could avoid the stereo all together.
Hey clucas,

Is there anything I can help with? Let me know which system you have and what's happening: https://owner.ford.com/how-tos/sync-...c-version.html

Kim
Old 3/8/15, 07:34 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by FordIVTteam
Hey clucas,

Is there anything I can help with? Let me know which system you have and what's happening: https://owner.ford.com/how-tos/sync-...c-version.html

Kim

Thanks for reaching out to me. I'm saying that at the beginning, because I know this is a long posting, and I want to make sure it is nothing against you. Having said that, here are my issues.

1) SYNC (basic system and SYNC with MyFord®) Is the system that I have. I had the car at the dealer the beginning of February and they said they had the Sync guy look at it and update it. I'm still getting the same issues I had before out of it, and it seems like they just manually reset the system.

The issues I have are still the main issues most people talk about. When I turn the car on it never restarts back where it was before. I nearly exclusively use the Sync USB with my iPhone 6, and it will either go back to Line in or randomly be on the radio upon start up. I've tried making sure the stereo was full off by opening the door before removing the phone from the usb, and making sure it is plugged in before startup again to no avail.

I have about 60gb of music in my phone and the system tells me I have too much information on it to utilize the voice commands.

sync nearly never starts auto play when I switch over to USB. I have to manually start playing music on the phone for the stereo to play anything. About 3 out of 10 times it will start "Initializing" when I switch over to USB.

I have an aftermarket stereo installed, but Sync is my main source unit right now. I'm seriously considering running a Bluetooth chip into my processor, so I never have to touch the in dash stereo if I don't want to. I just don't think that any sort of Sync update is likely to fix my issues. I've done a hard reset on the system a few times. I've taken it to the dealer for software update, and checked to make sure it has the most current firmware. I'll live with it for now, but probably not much longer.
Old 3/9/15, 07:01 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Paten
I don't have sync but maybe this will help. http://www.partscheap.com/v/vspfiles...nc_6-18-08.pdf
Thanks, I do have those instructions, but they aren't exactly the same as what needs to be done on a 2013.

I have the 2009 sync kit, a 2013 sync map light, and a 2013 sync module.

I know the wiring for the 2013 is different from those instructions you posted, but I don't know what those differences are, and I know if it's wired incorrectly, I could damage some of my newly purchased components.

Hopefully one of the many people who have claimed to have done this install on a 2013/14 can chime in and clarify.
Old 3/9/15, 07:26 PM

Thanks for reaching out to me. I'm saying that at the beginning, because I know this is a long posting, and I want to make sure it is nothing against you. Having said that, here are my issues.

1) SYNC (basic system and SYNC with MyFord®) Is the system that I have. I had the car at the dealer the beginning of February and they said they had the Sync guy look at it and update it. I'm still getting the same issues I had before out of it, and it seems like they just manually reset the system.

The issues I have are still the main issues most people talk about. When I turn the car on it never restarts back where it was before. I nearly exclusively use the Sync USB with my iPhone 6, and it will either go back to Line in or randomly be on the radio upon start up. I've tried making sure the stereo was full off by opening the door before removing the phone from the usb, and making sure it is plugged in before startup again to no avail.

I have about 60gb of music in my phone and the system tells me I have too much information on it to utilize the voice commands.

sync nearly never starts auto play when I switch over to USB. I have to manually start playing music on the phone for the stereo to play anything. About 3 out of 10 times it will start "Initializing" when I switch over to USB.

I have an aftermarket stereo installed, but Sync is my main source unit right now. I'm seriously considering running a Bluetooth chip into my processor, so I never have to touch the in dash stereo if I don't want to. I just don't think that any sort of Sync update is likely to fix my issues. I've done a hard reset on the system a few times. I've taken it to the dealer for software update, and checked to make sure it has the most current firmware. I'll live with it for now, but probably not much longer.
If you don't mind sending over your VIN, I'd like to verify that you're running the latest software version available.

Kim
Old 3/9/15, 07:36 PM
GT Member

Pm sent. Thanks.
Old 3/10/15, 11:30 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Great to see a ford tech reaching out on here. Hope fully they can help. Like said above, nothing against them a all, but SYNC itself is definitely a problem. I don't have it, but a few of my coworkers with 2013 F-150s do and have similar issues to what you are describing.
Old 3/10/15, 02:38 PM

Pm sent. Thanks.
I'll take a look now. Thank you.

Kim