'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

2013 Recaros...

Search this Thread

Old 4/4/12 | 08:01 PM
Bullitt Member

2013 Recaros...

If I missed it I'm sorry. Anyone know if Ford will be selling these separately in the future (Ford Racing Catalog?). I'd like to get my hands on a set.
Old 4/4/12 | 08:09 PM
V6 Member

Yes, americanmuscle carries them, friggin expensive though. Way overpriced
Old 4/4/12 | 09:09 PM
Bullitt Member

THe ones from Ford also have airbags and a few other things not included in seats directly from Recaro.. thats why the price tag is high.

Not sure if the ones from AM are the same. Those are styled after the Boss302LS with airbags. The GT ones are different. They look like the GT500 design with the 2 stripes.

Last edited by Ordie; 4/4/12 at 09:12 PM.
Old 4/5/12 | 02:49 PM
V6 Member

Only difference is trim. They are all the same seat.
Old 4/5/12 | 07:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Does anyone know if the wiring harness in the 2013 GT Premium changes depending on wether or not you get recaros? I have a 2012 gt premium with leather powered seats and want to trade with my friends uncle to get the recaro seats but want to make sure his car will still be able to have the power seat functionality. I would assume ford would have a standard wiring harness for gt's with a common connector to save costs but I could be wrong. I really want Hesse seats but want to make sure my seats will work in his car as well.
Old 4/5/12 | 08:18 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by mtnbikefuel80
Does anyone know if the wiring harness in the 2013 GT Premium changes depending on wether or not you get recaros? I have a 2012 gt premium with leather powered seats and want to trade with my friends uncle to get the recaro seats but want to make sure his car will still be able to have the power seat functionality. I would assume ford would have a standard wiring harness for gt's with a common connector to save costs but I could be wrong. I really want Hesse seats but want to make sure my seats will work in his car as well.
I'm 95 percent positive that the recaros are not available with power. It's a manual seat. I worked on seats at ford and never came across any.
Old 4/5/12 | 08:22 PM
V6 Member

So I guess to answer your question he may need a harness. It may not be a simple trade on his end.
Old 4/5/12 | 08:28 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

No, an 11-13 13 w/ Recaros from the factory has no seat harness and has different seat tracks, though Recaros can be mounted on the power tracks of an 11-13 from what Ive seen in another forum. You could give him all your seat hardware and the harness, though, buy the OEM switch and buy yourself Recaro tracks. Could even put heaters in the Recaros if you wanted to pull off the covers to install, but then youd need to keep your own harness (and buy the heating pads obviously).
Old 4/5/12 | 09:45 PM
Bullitt Member

From what Ive been told, Ford does not sell complete seats. So if you want a set of the reacaros you have piece it together and after adding everything up its more expensive than the FRPP seats.
Old 4/5/12 | 10:39 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

You can buy them with cloth Ford Racing covers from a number of sellers right now for between $2,500 & $3,000.
Old 4/6/12 | 08:07 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by bluestang2187
I'm 95 percent positive that the recaros are not available with power. It's a manual seat. I worked on seats at ford and never came across any.
Yea the Recaro seats are definitely only manual which is why I was concerned about what wiring harness Ford puts into the vehicle.

Originally Posted by wheelman
No, an 11-13 13 w/ Recaros from the factory has no seat harness and has different seat tracks, though Recaros can be mounted on the power tracks of an 11-13 from what Ive seen in another forum. You could give him all your seat hardware and the harness, though, buy the OEM switch and buy yourself Recaro tracks. Could even put heaters in the Recaros if you wanted to pull off the covers to install, but then youd need to keep your own harness (and buy the heating pads obviously).
Not trying to add power to the Recaro seats, trying to do a full swap.

Originally Posted by wheelman
You can buy them with cloth Ford Racing covers from a number of sellers right now for between $2,500 & $3,000.
Ive seen these from the Boss and they are very expensive, not going to do it for that much

Basically I want to take the whole unit from the floor up and swap. There has to be some connector to the Recaro seats for the side airbags I would think as there is a sensor in the seat to see if the passenger weighs enough and I'm fairly certain the collision sensor isn't mounted in the seat. That being said I would think all 11+ Mustangs would use the same connector on the passenger side from the wiring harness to the seat to relay these signals.

As only the front driver seat is powered in Premium Trim vehicles I also would've thought from a cost savings perspective that Ford might have used the same wiring harness in ALL Premium Trim Vehicles, this would allow either the standard leather seat or the Recaro seat to be installed on the driver side, the only difference being that the Recaro Connector would have blanks in the sockets where the power seat functionality went and therefore only the airbag signals would have a true connection.

I guess the real way to figure this out would be to either
(1) have someone with a Premium Trim car with Recaros take a picture of their seat's connection to the wiring harness on both passenger and driver sides that I can compare to mine
-or-
(2) find out the part number of the wiring harness for both recaro and non-recaro premium trim vehicles.

Thanks if anyone can help me on either of those! I'll try to keep searching as well.
Old 4/6/12 | 09:32 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Yeah you could be right. Going to inquire at my dealer in the next few weeks, but let us know when you take delivery or find something; thanks. Trying to get my hands on '13 wiring manuals. I have the '11-12 .pdf but doubt Recaro info (GT500) is included and some things have changed, but will take a look when I get a few mins.
Old 4/6/12 | 09:42 AM
Bullitt Member

I think the Recaro's are also available from CJPony parts. I have really been thinkin on ordering a set myself but the $$$ is whats stopping me.
Old 4/7/12 | 02:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Here is what I mean when I say I think the main interior Wiring Harness is the same. If you look in the two pictures below (one driver side, the other passenger) you can see that the same two plugs are on each side. The smaller yellow plug, and the larger black/grey plug. Both of these plugs split form a single wire that comes out of the floor under each chair. If you look at the back of both of the large plugs you can see that they have different wiring configurations coming out of the back, but that the plug itself looks to be the same. This is what made me think that there is a universal harness to cut costs that any chair can then be installed and plugged into. Then the plug coming from the chair would have wires connected for the power sources it requires and blanks in the sockets it doesn't need. Unfortunately the bar-code for the main wiring harness is not visible, only the bar-codes for the seats can be seen. In my case for a GT Premium the Drivers side says "ASM FRM LH POWER COUPE 1R3S" and the Passengers side says "ASM FRM RH MANUAL COUPE 1R3S".
Attached Thumbnails 2013 Recaros...-driver.jpg   2013 Recaros...-passenger.jpg  
Old 4/13/12 | 03:23 PM
Bullitt Member

I've tried asking a couple dealers around me for the following three part numbers to see if the interior wiring harnesses are the same to see if i can switch the seats but it's been a week and none have gotten back to me...anyone have any ideas?
1) 2012 GT Premium
2) 2013 GT Premium
3) 2013 GT Premium with Recaros
Old 4/14/12 | 09:45 PM
Cobra Member

I too have been looking for the '13 GT Recaro seats. I want the leather ones and at this point I'll pay anything to have them.

Thinking about getting some Corbeau FX1 to hold me over until I can get the Recaros. I hate how crappy the stock seats are, especially now with my suspension mods. I slide around way too much.
Old 4/15/12 | 08:57 AM
Mach 1 Member

If you want to stop sliding around in your seat get Recaro Speed seats higher bolsters than the Ford Recaros and half the price.

Old 4/15/12 | 07:56 PM
Cobra Member

I like the look and feel of the factory recaros. And I want to retain the airbags.
Old 4/15/12 | 09:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Yea I wanted the airbags too but may just get after market ones if I can't get the factory ones. I'm 5'10" 145 and I slide around like crazy on the factory seats
Old 4/16/12 | 09:31 AM
Cobra Member

I'm *this* ( [---] ) close to ordering the Ford Racing Recaros.

Quick Reply: 2013 Recaros...