'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

2012 Shaker vs. 2013 Shaker

Search this Thread

Old 4/29/12, 10:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 Shaker vs. 2013 Shaker

Has anyone heard the difference between the 2012 and 2013 Shaker units??? Just wondering how much improvement, if any, the 13 has over the 12. Drove a 12 GT the other day and thought the Shaker was great; the 13 should be the same or better. Any thoughts???
Old 4/29/12, 10:37 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Partswiz
Has anyone heard the difference between the 2012 and 2013 Shaker units??? Just wondering how much improvement, if any, the 13 has over the 12. Drove a 12 GT the other day and thought the Shaker was great; the 13 should be the same or better. Any thoughts???
In my wifes edge sport we have the sony, and in my 13 I'm disappointed with the shaker....it does not sound as crisp as the Sony in the edge.
Old 4/29/12, 11:32 AM
GT Member

The shaker in my 2013 has tons of bass, but is always boomy or muddy. Haven't got it SET up properly yet
Old 4/29/12, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by steve03gt
The shaker in my 2013 has tons of bass, but is always boomy or muddy. Haven't got it SET up properly yet
Well do let us know when you get it set up....thanks
Old 4/29/12, 01:55 PM
V6 Member

As an owner of a 2012 with the Shaker 500, I suspect the 2013 system has the same problem as ours: the use of $2.00 speakers front and rear. Many of us noticed a significant improvment by upgrading to after-market speakers. When you see how cheap the OEM units look you wil be amazed... or disgusted might be a better word!
Old 4/29/12, 02:54 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by BigR
In my wifes edge sport we have the sony, and in my 13 I'm disappointed with the shaker....it does not sound as crisp as the Sony in the edge.
It's still muddy compared to the Sony system in my Focus. The base system in my Boss is even worse. Why Ford continues to use trash speakers in the Mustang is beyond me.
Old 4/29/12, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by bpmurr
It's still muddy compared to the Sony system in my Focus. The base system in my Boss is even worse. Why Ford continues to use trash speakers in the Mustang is beyond me.
Im just wondering if i should have got the shaker pro. I didnt think the base shaker i heard in a 12 was too awful bad, just wondered how it was compared to a 13. Im used to the THX system in my MKZ, it really rocks and i want something compareable in the new GT.
Old 4/29/12, 05:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Im just wondering if i should have got the shaker pro. I didnt think the base shaker i heard in a 12 was too awful bad, just wondered how it was compared to a 13. Im used to the THX system in my MKZ, it really rocks and i want something compareable in the new GT.
You will be disappointed then compared to your thx system, as bpmurr mentioned....the sound is muddy like ....in the 13 gt.
Old 4/29/12, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by BigR
You will be disappointed then compared to your thx system, as bpmurr mentioned....the sound is muddy like ....in the 13 gt.
I know it wont compare to my thx, i guess my question really is how does the 13 system compare to the 12 system. Ive heard the 12 and can live with it and i know changes were made to the 13 system.
Old 4/30/12, 09:38 AM
V6 Member

I know it wont compare to my thx, i guess my question really is how does the 13 system compare to the 12 system. Ive heard the 12 and can live with it and i know changes were made to the 13 system.
Just got my 2013 with a Shaker Pro. It's crap. I can't believe I wasted my money. Turn up the bass and everything starts to distort and vibrate. Not a good vibration either, like you would get from deep bass. Sounds like speakers are blown or something. If you are an audiophile and thought this would be the solution for you, think again. I don't know if the thing is broken, or if it's just naturally crappy, but I'm taking it back to the dealer to take a look at it and if they tell me that's just the way it is, I'm going to seriously complain and ask them to remove it and give me my money back.
Old 4/30/12, 09:42 AM
GT Member

When I saw the speakers in the rear parcel shelf, I laughed
Old 4/30/12, 09:49 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For the price of the Shaker Pro, which requires the even more expensive EP, you can get a better aftermarket setup for a whole lot less. That being said, Ive had two Shaker 500s and this new Shaker blows it away. Ive yet to turn the volume up past 2/3 and it was bumping pretty good and sounds great IMHO. Now, Ive only had the car less than a week and am not an audiophile but so far Im very pleased.
Old 4/30/12, 10:15 AM
Cobra Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Storm75
As an owner of a 2012 with the Shaker 500, I suspect the 2013 system has the same problem as ours: the use of $2.00 speakers front and rear. Many of us noticed a significant improvment by upgrading to after-market speakers. When you see how cheap the OEM units look you wil be amazed... or disgusted might be a better word!
I'll guess they have to cut corners somewhere to keep the base costs of the vehicle down. Otherwise we end up paying more for the car at the initial purchase.

I'd rather pay a lower base price then upgrade on my own when my wallet allows. I'm looking at it as saving some intrest money on the car loan. If Ford put better (read more expensive) speakers in the car, then raised the base price, I'd most likely be paying a lot more for the speackers when the interest of the loan is calculated into it.

Last edited by Bucko; 4/30/12 at 10:20 AM.
Old 4/30/12, 11:11 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Bucko
I'll guess they have to cut corners somewhere to keep the base costs of the vehicle down. Otherwise we end up paying more for the car at the initial purchase.

I'd rather pay a lower base price then upgrade on my own when my wallet allows. I'm looking at it as saving some intrest money on the car loan. If Ford put better (read more expensive) speakers in the car, then raised the base price, I'd most likely be paying a lot more for the speackers when the interest of the loan is calculated into it.
Yeah but at the volume Ford is buying them at it probably would cost $50 bucks for a set of better speakers. Not everyone wants to mod the car.

Now the 2013 base Shaker hits a lot deeper than the Shaker 500 in my 2011 GT500. However, the highs and mids are still as muddy as ever. The Sony system in my Focus has much better separation. I'm not sure why Ford didn't move over to Sony for 2013 like the rest of the cars.

Last edited by bpmurr; 4/30/12 at 11:13 AM.
Old 4/30/12, 11:41 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Probably just waiting for the new car.
For the cost to cut it over for 2 years, probably wasn't worth it.
Especially considering the other changes we already got on the car.
Old 4/30/12, 12:15 PM

I've got the base Shaker in my '13 that is on order. I want as good a quality of sound as possible with a stock appearance. Does simply switching out the stock speakers and keeping the stock head unit "sound" like the best solution?
Old 4/30/12, 01:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

The '13's Shaker system is identical to the '12's.

Originally Posted by fstxhorn
I've got the base Shaker in my '13 that is on order. I want as good a quality of sound as possible with a stock appearance. Does simply switching out the stock speakers and keeping the stock head unit "sound" like the best solution?
Yup. About 80% of the improvement is realized simply by swapping out the front door speakers. The rear speakers are not heard much from the front seats TBH. Also, the rear speakers are about 10x harder to swap than the fronts.
Old 4/30/12, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by hawkeye18
The '13's Shaker system is identical to the '12's.
Definitely not identical. Compared to my uncles 2011 C/S Mustang with the Shaker 500, my 2013 is improved, much cleaner, "Punchier" bass.

Mids and highs, like previously posted, are ehhh. I too had a Focus with the Sony system, and while the highs were better in the Focus, I think the Shaker handles the bass better.

Then again, I listen to rap, dubstep/electronic, and rock mainly, so if you're listening to classical, jazz, or Pavarotti, it's not gonna sound like a B&O or a THX system.

Then again, I don't think the SHAKER system was designed that type of listener. Thumping bass, and ***** out noise, yes.

I enjoy my system for what it is, I just wish I did have a little more punch, but that's what a sub in the trunk is for

Last edited by Double Z; 4/30/12 at 03:12 PM.
Old 4/30/12, 04:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Double Z
Definitely not identical. Compared to my uncles 2011 C/S Mustang with the Shaker 500, my 2013 is improved, much cleaner, "Punchier" bass.
You sure your Uncle's C/S just didn't have the bass turned down? None of the literature for the '13 makes any mention whatsoever of a "new and/or improved" Shaker system. One would think that would be at least a minor selling point.

Then again, I listen to rap, dubstep/electronic
And that's why you're not qualified to offer opinions on a sound system.
Old 4/30/12, 04:25 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 50_lover
Just got my 2013 with a Shaker Pro. It's crap. I can't believe I wasted my money. Turn up the bass and everything starts to distort and vibrate. Not a good vibration either, like you would get from deep bass. Sounds like speakers are blown or something. If you are an audiophile and thought this would be the solution for you, think again. I don't know if the thing is broken, or if it's just naturally crappy, but I'm taking it back to the dealer to take a look at it and if they tell me that's just the way it is, I'm going to seriously complain and ask them to remove it and give me my money back.
Originally Posted by wheelman
For the price of the Shaker Pro, which requires the even more expensive EP, you can get a better aftermarket setup for a whole lot less. That being said, Ive had two Shaker 500s and this new Shaker blows it away. Ive yet to turn the volume up past 2/3 and it was bumping pretty good and sounds great IMHO. Now, Ive only had the car less than a week and am not an audiophile but so far Im very pleased.

Ok, scratching the Pro from my order. I've been told before as well. Is there anyone that actually likes the Pro/1000?

Quick Reply: 2012 Shaker vs. 2013 Shaker