Notices
'10-14 Interior and Audio Place to discuss 2010-2014 interior and audio type modifications.

2010+ base sync retrofit.

Search this Thread

Old 5/30/14, 08:55 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 49 Likes on 43 Posts
Well, I can tell you my experience at least.

I retrofitted a navigation unit from a 2010 mustang and put it in my 2012. I already had Sync. I did not change the switch, as it did not occur to me that it was different.

The sync button worked, but the phone button did not. All wiring was checked. A diagnostic on the VCMII showed that the phone button was not sending anything. I later discovered through another member that navigation cars have 1 switch while non nav cars have a different switch. Turned out that the resistance values were not the same.

When I replaced the switch, the phone button then worked no problem. I did not switch out my Sync during this time but kept my 2012 module installed.

Unfortunately, my 2012 wiring diagram does not show resistance values while my 2014 manual does - so I can't compare for you.

Last edited by jim010; 5/30/14 at 08:57 PM.
Old 5/30/14, 09:15 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jim010
Well, I can tell you my experience at least.

I retrofitted a navigation unit from a 2010 mustang and put it in my 2012. I already had Sync. I did not change the switch, as it did not occur to me that it was different.

The sync button worked, but the phone button did not. All wiring was checked. A diagnostic on the VCMII showed that the phone button was not sending anything. I later discovered through another member that navigation cars have 1 switch while non nav cars have a different switch. Turned out that the resistance values were not the same.

When I replaced the switch, the phone button then worked no problem. I did not switch out my Sync during this time but kept my 2012 module installed.

Unfortunately, my 2012 wiring diagram does not show resistance values while my 2014 manual does - so I can't compare for you.
I did check the values from the switch I got from lex, and my own and they are the same. I thought about adding a 100 ohm resistor inline, but after looking at the 14 diagram. That wouldn't work since the buttons require a higher resistance.
Old 5/30/14, 09:21 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by crazietj
I did check the values from the switch I got from lex, and my own and they are the same. I thought about adding a 100 ohm resistor inline, but after looking at the 14 diagram. That wouldn't work since the buttons require a higher resistance.
I hate to do this but I already have to go to the dealer and find out what is up with my car from earlier. I may just order a 14 switch and give it a go. I already repinned everything and put sometime into it to get this far. I hate to have to go and re pin crap to put a different module in. What I really hate is the fact that I will have to pay out the wazoo to get a frakking switch from them, that may or may not fix it.
Old 6/7/14, 08:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
I might have an idea. When i read my DTC's today i get two DTC's from the APIM... Switch 2 voltage out of range is one of them.

So here is i think why: The non NAV APIMs are wired up directly to the steering wheel switch. The NAV APIMs are wired up through the ACM.

I switched from non-NAV to NAV so it now complains that there is no signal at the switch input at the APIM.

It may be, that if your APIM came out of a NAV car, it has the NAV as build data loaded an expects the switch signal thorugh the ACM not directly wired.

I will load the NAV as build onto the APIM and see if the errors i get dissapear. Maybe your problem can be solved with a non-NAV as build download....

2010 non NAV as build for APIM is:
7D0-01-01 800C 8000 00E5
7D0-02-01 0155 5300 0083
7D0-03-01 0000 0000 00DB

You may need to go to your dealer to get this done, unless you have a VCM II..

Ok. So IDS won't allow to download as build on the APIM and it doesn't allow a PMI on the APIM. It requires OASIS...so a trip to the dealer

LEXiiON

Last edited by LEXiiON; 6/7/14 at 08:41 PM.
Old 6/8/14, 12:22 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by LEXiiON
I might have an idea. When i read my DTC's today i get two DTC's from the APIM... Switch 2 voltage out of range is one of them.

So here is i think why: The non NAV APIMs are wired up directly to the steering wheel switch. The NAV APIMs are wired up through the ACM.

I switched from non-NAV to NAV so it now complains that there is no signal at the switch input at the APIM.

It may be, that if your APIM came out of a NAV car, it has the NAV as build data loaded an expects the switch signal thorugh the ACM not directly wired.

I will load the NAV as build onto the APIM and see if the errors i get dissapear. Maybe your problem can be solved with a non-NAV as build download....

2010 non NAV as build for APIM is:
7D0-01-01 800C 8000 00E5
7D0-02-01 0155 5300 0083
7D0-03-01 0000 0000 00DB

You may need to go to your dealer to get this done, unless you have a VCM II..

Ok. So IDS won't allow to download as build on the APIM and it doesn't allow a PMI on the APIM. It requires OASIS...so a trip to the dealer

LEXiiON
I'm still waiting to the 13 switch. I should get it this week. If it doesn't work. I may have to try that route.
Old 6/12/14, 12:12 AM
GT Member

Ahhhhhh.....they sent me a switch with no voice button. At least it was only 24 bucks from rock auto. Anyone need a switch with out the voice button?...I may just give up on the 13 module. I may just get one from a 12. I think Jim said he had one. Right?
Old 3/10/15, 06:23 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can anyone give me any guidance on how to install the sync components on my 2013?

I have the sync accessory kit, new map light with mic, and a 2013 sync module. Do I need to run extra wires from the map light? Do I need to do any wiring inside the steering wheel?

I'll try to follow the instructions that came with my 2009 sync kit, but I don't want to just guess as I tap into my ODBII wires..

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 3/10/15, 08:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Tapakegovagnaps
Can anyone give me any guidance on how to install the sync components on my 2013?

I have the sync accessory kit, new map light with mic, and a 2013 sync module. Do I need to run extra wires from the map light? Do I need to do any wiring inside the steering wheel?

I'll try to follow the instructions that came with my 2009 sync kit, but I don't want to just guess as I tap into my ODBII wires..

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Custom wiring i guess. Here are the diagrams for 2013.
Attached Thumbnails 2010+ base sync retrofit.-sync_2013_1.jpg   2010+ base sync retrofit.-sync_2013_2.jpg   2010+ base sync retrofit.-sync_2013_3.jpg   2010+ base sync retrofit.-sync_2013_4.jpg   2010+ base sync retrofit.-sync_2013_5.jpg  

Old 4/16/15, 05:13 PM
GT Member

I never got the 13 sync module to work with mine. I think it has to do with the switches being different than the 10-12s. I put this project on hold for a bit. I do have a module coming from a 12 I will try. But I have to repin the harness back to the 10-12 configuration, and put the other switch I have in the steering wheel.
Old 4/19/15, 05:40 PM
GT Member

Heh. I hit the voice button, and this voice says "sync say a command". Yah! Unfortunately I think I screwed up my mic. It can't hear me. But I was also running the overhead console mic. Not the mirror one. So I'll find the mirror, and harness and should be golden.
Old 5/6/15, 09:32 PM
GT Member

So the bad luck just keeps coming my way with this project. I got a 2012 mirror with the mic. And ordered a 2012 harness for the mirror. CR3Z 17R745-BA from tasca parts. Apparently my old address is still in paypal, so they sent it to it. The postman took it back to the office. I had to go and get it from the post office, no big deal. Well I get home after work and opened the box up. The harness looked a little different than what I was expecting. There is no plug for the over map lights. It has little plugs about 4 inches apart from the plug that goes to the mirror. I checked the tag on the harness, and they sent me a CR3T 14C585-BC. I'm not sure what it goes too, but it won't work for me. I guess I'll call them tomorrow and find out what the deal is. The funny part is it is on the box in 3 spots with the part number I ordered.
Old 5/7/15, 07:29 AM
GT Member

So tasca told me it's the same part. I'm a bit confused. All mustangs have the map lights in the overhead console. This harness has no plug for in the harness to go to the console. I'm guessing the smaller plugs go to the visors for the vanity mirrors. I don't have those so I can not confirm. Can someone verify something for me. Is there 2 harnesses? One for the mirror, and one for the console? If this is the right harness, then do I have to cut the harness out for the map lights and wire them up?
Old 5/7/15, 10:02 AM

Hi,

I just did the retrofit kit for the sync, and as you, the phone & voice buttons do not work. If I understand correctly what you've done on your side, it worked ok after you had swap the APIM for a 2012 one, which was likely being a non-nav one. As Lexiion was mentioned in an earlier post of this thread, the APIM as built code is different from a nav to a non-nav APIM, and as him, when I tried to change them using my VCM, the modification could not have been done without being connected to OAISIS. Looks like a trip to the stealership is required

Besides this, the USB, line in, Bluetooth is working. My phonebook was down loaded in the sync module too. I was able to call or receive call. I used the mike from the kit, & I installed it on the driver side of the head console. It does not look too intrusive and it matches the console housing color pretty good, such that it is not that much apparent.

I did also ordered the mirror/mike and harness but I just use the kit mike for the moment. It works ok, the sound quality is ok from the people I called, they told me that they were earing me very clear and good. The mike harness for the mirror has additional connectors for the sunpad lights, it is probably the extra connectors that you were talking about. I can post pictures of mine if you want, this afternoon once I got back home.

Also wanted to add that there is only one single harness for the lights and mike.

Last edited by Fastkurve; 5/7/15 at 10:06 AM.
Old 5/7/15, 12:04 PM
GT Member

What year is your car? Also what year is the module from? Mine is a 10 base. So the 10-12 modules work. The 13 module and switches on the wheel are different. The module had to be re pinned for the mic. I think the issue I ran into was that the switch on both side of the wheel needed to be swapped. As for navi vs non navi, I think they sync module is the same.

Pics would be great.
Old 5/7/15, 12:30 PM
GT Member

I googled the part I have and 2 things came up. So for future reference, this is what I found.

http://www.fordgt500.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-67369.html

Basically the part I have is an engineering part. I would guess, add on after the original was made?

Last edited by crazietj; 5/7/15 at 12:31 PM.
Old 5/7/15, 04:24 PM

My car year is 2012. I bought two Sync module over the winter. A 2012 & a 2013. I swapped them yesterday night, and I had the same level of functionallity from both units. One thing I know for sure, is that sync module as built codes are different from nav to a non-nav car. The second row has differents values. I did download various car VIn based on their equipment, and this is where I got this info. I will take a pic of the mike harness and post it later on
Old 5/7/15, 06:38 PM
GT Member

Thanks
Old 5/7/15, 07:01 PM

Here is the picture of the harness. There two small black connectors for the visors, the red one is for the mirror and the grey one for the car harness.

Obsiously the grey connector is not part of the picture, I just mentioned it for your info.
Attached Thumbnails 2010+ base sync retrofit.-20150507_195019.jpg  

Last edited by Fastkurve; 5/7/15 at 07:02 PM.
Old 5/7/15, 07:28 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Fastkurve
Here is the picture of the harness. There two small black connectors for the visors, the red one is for the mirror and the grey one for the car harness.

Obsiously the grey connector is not part of the picture, I just mentioned it for your info.
Yes that's the same one I have. So it plugs into the plug on the a piller? If that's the case we lose the over head map lights.
Old 5/7/15, 07:55 PM

I did not look for this at the moment since I am using the kit mike. I will gave to check the electrical drawing to find if this harness is also providong power to the over head lamp, which I presume it does, over my head, I do not remember from the shop manual of an additional harness for the lamps. At this point, I am more concern with the voice and phone buttons not working.

Quick Reply: 2010+ base sync retrofit.