Notices
'10-14 Exterior Modifications Place to discuss all 2010-2014 exterior modifications

Winter Bra for support?

Old 8/15/13, 09:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Winter Bra for support?

I know it is early but how do you protect your front from the ravages of winter....sand\rock chips. My mustang is a DD so after a rim\tire change what then. Clear plastic stick on protection or the good old bra. Anyone try spray on plastic dip?
Old 8/15/13, 09:56 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is a new spray-on clear bra product. Commercials say you can peel it off. No experience with it though.
Old 8/15/13, 05:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

I tried Plastidip clear and glossifier. It was a fun experiment, but it looked bad. Peeled it off just the other day as I am getting ready for a big event this weekend.

I can't be certain it saved any major chips, but there aren't any new ones. It most definitely saves the finish from tiny debris. Here's the con's:
It was easy to apply, but requires patience to let it dry between coats, and a clean environment to do it in.
I noticed the vertical surfaces were much thinner than my horizontal surfaces, obviously I had to be mindful of runs. I did get a few runs that made it look bad
The overspray gets into the seams which need to be cleaned later, ie under the hood, over the headlights. I taped off the grill and that was kind of a pain.

But, I would probably do it again for a long road trip
Old 8/16/13, 02:29 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 386 Likes on 283 Posts
I just bought a Colgan Bra from AutoAnything. It does fit good, but I don't know how long I would leave it on the car under the conditions you will have.
Old 8/18/13, 03:56 AM
GT Member

I'm sorry but I've never understood bras on cars.

I just don't see the logic in preventing the potential stone chip that can't be seen from 5 feet away (and it if touched-up one foot), folks will put on some hideous thing on the front of their car that can be seen 100 feet away.

I do drive in the winter. Chips happen. There are great products out there that make them almost disappear.

Last edited by ustabawannab; 8/18/13 at 04:01 AM.
Old 8/18/13, 09:08 AM
GT Member

I could see a 3m film, although the border line would bug me. But I wouldn't use an old fashioned car bra myself. Weren't they problematic for causing paint clouding when it was wet? I shudder at the thought of one of those frozen to the front of my car in winter.
Old 8/18/13, 02:40 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by linelock
I could see a 3m film, although the border line would bug me. But I wouldn't use an old fashioned car bra myself. Weren't they problematic for causing paint clouding when it was wet? I shudder at the thought of one of those frozen to the front of my car in winter.
I don't leave mine on all the time, like you I don't like the looks that much. However, on a long road trip they are an asset. I have had one (a GM OEM bra) on my Corvette for a 30 day road. Even in rain, and hot sun the paint was fine when I got home. And, since then it's been on a 32 day trip without any damage to the paint.

While on I-40 in Oklahoma a Tractor Trailer somehow threw several good size stones up. Several hit the front, one hit the windshield leaving a chip, another hit the right rear quarter leaving a nasty chip. But, the bumper, and hood were protected by the bra. So, they do have their place.

Last edited by wanted33; 8/18/13 at 02:41 PM.
Old 8/18/13, 07:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wanted33
I don't leave mine on all the time, like you I don't like the looks that much. However, on a long road trip they are an asset. I have had one (a GM OEM bra) on my Corvette for a 30 day road. Even in rain, and hot sun the paint was fine when I got home. And, since then it's been on a 32 day trip without any damage to the paint.

While on I-40 in Oklahoma a Tractor Trailer somehow threw several good size stones up. Several hit the front, one hit the windshield leaving a chip, another hit the right rear quarter leaving a nasty chip. But, the bumper, and hood were protected by the bra. So, they do have their place.
I am in agreement with you. They worked really well for me but I can't seem to find them in Canada anymore.
Old 8/18/13, 08:26 PM
GT Member

I mean no disrespect to folks that decide that they'd rather run a bra than accept the risk of a paint chip. That's you choice. If I drove 5 miles a day on gravel roads I'd pass on the bra and the mustang and drive a F150.

I just think it's swatting flies with a sledgehammer. Making a car unattactive 99.999% of the time to prevent that .001% chance of a chip, I don't get it. Hell, take it from a driver of 39 years of Wisconsin winters, the odds of bending a rim on a pothole in February are a hell of a lot better.

Last edited by ustabawannab; 8/18/13 at 08:33 PM.
Old 8/18/13, 09:51 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
I heard bras cause more damage as they rub the dirt and dust trapped underneath like sandpaper every time the wind hits them.
Old 8/18/13, 09:55 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by wanted33

I can understand your decision to use one. I'm sure the technology has improved since the 80's when these were more popular.
Old 8/19/13, 03:08 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Getportfolio
I heard bras cause more damage as they rub the dirt and dust trapped underneath like sandpaper every time the wind hits them.
If you use them for short periods of time as "wanted33" noted, they are pretty harmless.

Years ago I worked in a car stereo shop. You would see guys come in with cars so bad you'd swear the bra is holding the front end on

Last edited by ustabawannab; 8/19/13 at 03:10 AM.
Old 8/19/13, 06:40 AM

Ford seems to be using some pretty high quality paint, check out this video

Old 8/20/13, 01:47 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by linelock
I can understand your decision to use one. I'm sure the technology has improved since the 80's when these were more popular.

Grant, sounds like we are close to the same age because I had the same apprehensions as you. I make sure the car is waxed, and clean before I install the bra. I also make sure nothing is on the underside of the bra. As I posted previously I haven't had any problems so far. The technology has improved, along with the paint since we were kids. Thankfully.

Last edited by wanted33; 8/20/13 at 01:49 PM.